Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Not even done with Phantom Hourglass yet.  (Read 3898 times)

Fox

Turnbeutelvergesser since 1988.
Not even done with Phantom Hourglass yet.
« on: November 09, 2007, 11:43:11 pm »
So don't f ucking spoil the end for me.

Yes, I take my time. Sue me.

I just need to share things. The game is a lot of fun, but it sucks so much in so many ways. I hate to complain, but this is just a disappointment.

The controlling can be a real pain in the old bottom. An enemy is approaching you, you need to tap the items-flag, choose the item, the game does NOT pause, tap on the item-button, aim and you better hope your enemy hasn't hit you 83 times already. Not to mention that my toilet-cover-hands are sometimes making it impossible to see what's going on on the bottom right.

The music. Oh god, don't even get me started. The only good music was the intro and the travelling-music. And those are growing old and annoying, too. They used the same music for more than 7 dungeons? The same !@#$% music that is only a loop of like, 30 seconds? And they did that frequently. Guess Kondo was busy with bigger games when the game was made.

The graphics. I like them lots, actually. Looks like they do everything that the DS can do. I remember .TakaM complaining about it though, before the game was even released. Remember him saying the developers work inefficiently. Very inefficiently. And actually, as I was fighting a boss today, the game lagged. The game fricking LAGGED.

The plot, well yeah, they had to cut out a lot, because pretty much ALL good things have been taken care of in WW already. Ganon or the Master-Sword reappearing would have made no sense. But... meh. I think it could have been better, really. Nothing really impressive happens. The cut-scenes are kinda cool though, and I grew a fan of Linebeck. He is a piece of sex.

And finally, the temple of... well, that temple where you run on time. I really really damned hate that. It's frustrating. So much. So very much. I can't even put it in words.

Just had to get that of my chest. The biggest disappointment IMO was the lack of good music though. Really, that made it horrible.

I still would sell my soul for Nintendo though. Don't worry.

By the way, don't you guys come and tell me "all you people can do is complain complain complain about everything that's wrong with games. Give the developers a rest!!"

I know, I hate complaining too. I still am happy with Phantom Hourglass. Great game. But you can practically SMELL it could have been better, way better.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 11:45:14 pm by FOX »
  • Me on deviantART
Re: Not even done with Phantom Hourglass yet.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 11:52:10 pm »
You know, I've barely played the game. I really should start playing it again.

The controls are a real turn-off though.
  • Google Profile

Fox

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 11:53:32 pm »
Yepp. They should have just done something similar like in Animal Crossing, really.

I mean, I don't even use the direction-pad for opening the map or something. Never.
  • Me on deviantART
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 12:32:35 am »
So don't f ucking spoil the end for me.

Yes, I take my time. Sue me.

I just need to share things. The game is a lot of fun, but it sucks so much in so many ways. I hate to complain, but this is just a disappointment.

The controlling can be a real pain in the old bottom. An enemy is approaching you, you need to tap the items-flag*, choose the item, the game does NOT pause, tap on the item-button, aim and you better hope your enemy hasn't hit you 83 times already. Not to mention that my toilet-cover-hands are sometimes making it impossible to see what's going on on the bottom right.

The music. Oh god, don't even get me started. The only good music was the intro and the travelling-music. And those are growing old and annoying, too. They used the same music for more than 7 dungeons? The same !@#$% music that is only a loop of like, 30 seconds? And they did that frequently. Guess Kondo was busy with bigger games when the game was made.

The graphics. I like them lots, actually. Looks like they do everything that the DS can do. I remember .TakaM complaining about it though, before the game was even released. Remember him saying the developers work inefficiently. Very inefficiently. And actually, as I was fighting a boss today, the game lagged. The game fricking LAGGED.

The plot, well yeah, they had to cut out a lot, because pretty much ALL good things have been taken care of in WW already. Ganon or the Master-Sword reappearing would have made no sense. But... meh. I think it could have been better, really. Nothing really impressive happens. The cut-scenes are kinda cool though, and I grew a fan of Linebeck. He is a piece of sex.**

And finally, the temple of... well, that temple where you run on time. I really really damned hate that. It's frustrating. So much. So very much. I can't even put it in words.

Just had to get that of my chest. The biggest disappointment IMO was the lack of good music though. Really, that made it horrible.

I still would sell my soul for Nintendo though. Don't worry.

By the way, don't you guys come and tell me "all you people can do is complain complain complain about everything that's wrong with games. Give the developers a rest!!"

I know, I hate complaining too. I still am happy with Phantom Hourglass. Great game. But you can practically SMELL it could have been better, way better.

*Hint hint, press L (if your right handed) or R (left handed). Just press the shoulder button that is not in your stylus hand. If you do it automagically selects the item flag so you can freely use the item. Setting the right item can be a pain because there is no short cuts. But this game hardly has you switching items all hoo ha like some just to battle an enemy.

**!@#$% agree. Although I'm straight as an arrow that man is the sex and nobody can doubt it.

Fox

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007, 12:56:36 am »

*Hint hint, press L (if your right handed) or R (left handed). Just press the shoulder button that is not in your stylus hand. If you do it automagically selects the item flag so you can freely use the item. Setting the right item can be a pain because there is no short cuts. But this game hardly has you switching items all hoo ha like some just to battle an enemy.

I know, they tell you that an awful lot in the game. I tried it, but it really hurts after some time. So tapping on the screen is the smaller bad, really.

**!@#$% agree. Although I'm straight as an arrow that man is the sex and nobody can doubt it.

Let me support this again with the icon of this deviant from deviantART.

</case>
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 12:58:18 am by FOX »
  • Me on deviantART
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 01:15:58 am »
  • Lionfish App dev
I never had even the slightest problem with controls. Hurts my hands much less than Metroid Prime Hunters. >.<

It was fun, but a bit lacking in all the areas you described. Fortunately, it was Nintendo's first DS Zelda game, of I'm sure multiple. I expect the next one to be seven times as epic as Phantom Hourglass.

At least.
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 01:25:57 am »
  • I put this here for the sake of that one thread
I loved it all the way through :). It felt fresh, not fresh enough to renew the franchise, but there were some hints of different puzzles from the ones we're used to :p.

And god yes, Linebeck is so !@#$% awesome. Best character ever. And Moldo, I doubt we'll see a 'real' Zelda game on the DS, it'll probably be Four-Swords or something.

Oh god a game starring Linebeck, PLEASE.

I </3 Sol

Fox

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 01:30:52 am »
I never had even the slightest problem with controls. Hurts my hands much less than Metroid Prime Hunters. >.<

It was fun, but a bit lacking in all the areas you described. Fortunately, it was Nintendo's first DS Zelda game, of I'm sure multiple. I expect the next one to be seven times as epic as Phantom Hourglass.

At least.
Probably had to do with you having smaller hands lol.

Also, I'm not too sure they'll make another Zelda for the DS. I mean, the DS IS pretty "old"...

I loved it all the way through :). It felt fresh, not fresh enough to renew the franchise, but there were some hints of different puzzles from the ones we're used to :p.

And god yes, Linebeck is so !@#$% awesome. Best character ever. And Moldo, I doubt we'll see a 'real' Zelda game on the DS, it'll probably be Four-Swords or something.

Oh god a game starring Linebeck, PLEASE.
Yes, that was definetly a good thing. Zelda going back to where it came from, its roots and all. Simple puzzle-temples with fun bosses and a nice little plot. Definitely awesome.

But Linebeck will never come back again.

NEVERRRRR.
  • Me on deviantART

luigi

MoFD
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 03:06:47 am »
I'm not finished either. At first before I got the game I thought the controls would suck and be crap with the stylus, but it's actually really good.
­200th post (09/20/07)
300th post (12/01/07)
400th post (2/11/08)
500th post (5/07/08)
600th post (7/21/08)

MK Wii: 2750 1625 1262
Brawl: 3523-1727-8440

Gamertag: cyborgwhale
  • Cyborg Whale's Twitter

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 03:51:07 am »
  • Silly cat!
I have to agree with music. It sounds great in cutscenes, but the fact that all of the dungeons have the same theme just removes all the personality from the dungeon. Seriously, this isn't ALttP, we're not in 1991, you should've developed individual themes, Nintendo. Oh yeah, and the island music too... the first time I heard it, I thought it was going to go away when I killed all of the enemies. Did it? No. It's a terrible theme and it doesn't suit the islands at all. It would have been better not having bg music at all and instead have the sound of the waves (Spirit Island did this, thankfully). Ocean theme is nice, sometimes annoying, but nice. The
Show content
Goron Island
theme was great, but why didn't Nintendo design a new theme for
Show content
their new tribe, the Anouki
? It's terrible. I'll admit Boss and Mini-Boss music is good though. Linebeck's theme rocks.

I really can't see how the controls bother you Fox. I found them refreshing and fun, and besides rolling, hardly bothersome.

I don't mind PH, but some of it could have been better. It's still a fun game with a lot of great Zelda elements, and in a way it reminds me of the original TLoZ. In other words, I love it because it's simple. Just not the music.

But, I think we've been getting too much Zelda lately. I mean, 2 years after Minish Cap we got Twilight Princess and then less than a year later we get Phantom Hourglass. It just feels like Nintendo is forcing Zelda down my throat... so no more for a while, please.

Oh, and Linebeck is a sick !@#$%.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 03:54:01 am by Hoffy »

Hoffy.

luigi

MoFD
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 03:54:37 am »
I was hoping for the game to be longer and alot more challenging. Even though I said I'm not finished, I still think it's pretty easy.
­200th post (09/20/07)
300th post (12/01/07)
400th post (2/11/08)
500th post (5/07/08)
600th post (7/21/08)

MK Wii: 2750 1625 1262
Brawl: 3523-1727-8440

Gamertag: cyborgwhale
  • Cyborg Whale's Twitter
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 04:42:05 am »
  • Modrill made the avatar. I command you to like it.
Man... Am I a retard or something? I actually enjoyed every aspect of the game. Maybe the fact that I was playing a borrowed game and not my own made me like all the more... I literally tore through the game... I wish I could own my copy. :'(

My Brawl FC is 1289-8196-4511. Don't expect me to be on all the time though.
  • Super Smash Karts

Fox

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 10:56:03 am »
I'm not finished either. At first before I got the game I thought the controls would suck and be !@#$% with the stylus, but it's actually really good.
Well, I guess it's not the worst control-system in the world.

I have to agree with music. It sounds great in cutscenes, but the fact that all of the dungeons have the same theme just removes all the personality from the dungeon. Seriously, this isn't ALttP, we're not in 1991, you should've developed individual themes, Nintendo. Oh yeah, and the island music too... the first time I heard it, I thought it was going to go away when I killed all of the enemies. Did it? No. It's a terrible theme and it doesn't suit the islands at all. It would have been better not having bg music at all and instead have the sound of the waves (Spirit Island did this, thankfully). Ocean theme is nice, sometimes annoying, but nice. The
Show content
Goron Island
theme was great, but why didn't Nintendo design a new theme for
Show content
their new tribe, the Anouki
? It's terrible. I'll admit Boss and Mini-Boss music is good though. Linebeck's theme rocks.

I really can't see how the controls bother you Fox. I found them refreshing and fun, and besides rolling, hardly bothersome.

I don't mind PH, but some of it could have been better. It's still a fun game with a lot of great Zelda elements, and in a way it reminds me of the original TLoZ. In other words, I love it because it's simple. Just not the music.

But, I think we've been getting too much Zelda lately. I mean, 2 years after Minish Cap we got Twilight Princess and then less than a year later we get Phantom Hourglass. It just feels like Nintendo is forcing Zelda down my throat... so no more for a while, please.

Oh, and Linebeck is a sick !@#$%.
With the difference that even LttP's music was less repetitive than that. Really.

Not reading the spoilers lol. :J

As for the controls, well, they don't STOP me from playing, they're not that bad. But at some parts, it was kinda bothersome for me.

About the too-much-Zelda... I guess you're right, but hm... can't just live without it, huh. Nintendo has to release SOMETHING in order to keep the fans happy. I wonder if they could release other things instead of games. Though merchandise could be kinda stupid. Hm.

I was hoping for the game to be longer and alot more challenging. Even though I said I'm not finished, I still think it's pretty easy.
Yeah, I hear ya. The first dungeons, I had them finished in a few minutes. Was kind of a joke, really.

Man... Am I a retard or something? I actually enjoyed every aspect of the game. Maybe the fact that I was playing a borrowed game and not my own made me like all the more... I literally tore through the game... I wish I could own my copy. :'(
Hm, might be that... or maybe it's about what you are expecting from the game and what you get. Maybe I expected too  much.
  • Me on deviantART

Fox

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2007, 11:40:54 am »
... I didn't compare it to anything...

I just say that there are things that could have been better. The music. Mainly the music.

I would still give this game an 8 out of 10 and suggest everyone who has a DS to buy that game. D:
  • Me on deviantART
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2007, 11:45:42 am »
I'm following Yatzhees review. Still getting it as he didn't say it was a giant pile of !@#$%.

Fox

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2007, 11:48:08 am »
Didn't get that last sentence.
  • Me on deviantART
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2007, 11:51:24 am »

Ahem.
I'm still getting it, as Yahtzee didn't say that it was a pile of !@#$%. And plus I loved Wind Waker...  :P

Kyubi

GET ON THE BALL!
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2007, 01:28:40 pm »
  • :3

Well you pretty much blasted everything about the game. Then swiftly turn around at the end of it all and say, "I still think it's good though!" Aside from some moments of hypocrisy, you basically made the game sound like a giant pile of !@#$%.
Gannon-banned brother.

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2007, 01:34:23 pm »

Well you pretty much blasted everything about the game. Then swiftly turn around at the end of it all and say, "I still think it's good though!" Aside from some moments of hypocrisy, you basically made the game sound like a giant pile of !@#$%.

Wait my 'Giant Pile of !@#$%' comment wasn't aimed at Foxs review, it was aimed At Yahtzees.
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2007, 04:26:47 pm »
They did have one great new song... Linebeck's Theme! I learned to play it on piano too!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 78 queries.