Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LTTP Style OOT Kakariko Village [update]  (Read 2659 times)

LTTP Style OOT Kakariko Village [update]
« on: February 10, 2009, 03:29:50 pm »
So I have been bored lately, I wanted to continue with my creating the overworld for Zelda: Ocarina of Time in the Link to the Past style. So I moved on, here is Kakariko village transformed into two dimensions, enjoy:

Any criticisms would be appreciated. i did make this mostly from memory (and a few screenshots I could find in google images), so sorry if its not entirely identical. As part of the transformation there have been a few changes, for example all of the stairs are vertical, and the well has been moved to save space.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 10:05:32 pm by MaJoRa »
  • Elliott Parkinson

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
Re: LTTP Style OOT Kakariko Village
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 03:33:54 pm »
Holy !@#$% Majora, that's amazing! Only criticism I have is the back of the potion shop. I think there should be more to show a bak entrance besides the grass decor. There is a fine display of this in LttP's Kakariko, where the bar had a back entrance to obtain a bottle.

You're really helping ahmio out, if you don't know already. He's hard at work on an OoT2D and is showing excellent progress.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 03:43:54 pm »
Holy !@#$% Majora, that's amazing! Only criticism I have is the back of the potion shop. I think there should be more to show a bak entrance besides the grass decor. There is a fine display of this in LttP's Kakariko, where the bar had a back entrance to obtain a bottle.

You're really helping ahmio out, if you don't know already. He's hard at work on an OoT2D and is showing excellent progress.

I agree about the back of not only the potion shop, but the other houses that have rear entrances. My issue is this: in LTTP Kakariko, the only back entrance on the house has no sprite modifications to the building except for the fact there is a hole in the wall in front of it. In order to keep with the style I need to follow that rule. The grass decor is simply to show its an area thats been walked on more than others (because logically that grass would be worse off than the other grass), which I think works. If you can think of any other ways though it would be very much appreciated.

• Elliott Parkinson

Jeod

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 04:10:03 pm »
I'll have a looksie when I get home.

EDIT: Well, from what I can see from google searches of maps, the building has no midifications but there are hedges in the bacckside. IIRC, the 3D OoT had fences around the back of the building. It might require a modification of the ledges surrounding the backside of the house, but I think fences are your best bet if you want to add anything to indicate an entrance.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 04:16:24 pm by Jeod »
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Jeod

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 10:49:44 pm »
Ok, home and I have viewed it more thoroughly. The windmill is incomplete and doesn't really look like a windmill.

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 12:53:58 am »
Ok, home and I have viewed it more thoroughly. The windmill is incomplete and doesn't really look like a windmill.

Besides the blades of the windmill, how else is it incomplete? As for it not looking like a windmill much, there were not any LTTP sprites available that suited it unfortunately, and although I do sprite i can only do so on a small scale, and to create something that large would have occupied more time than I had on my hands.
  • Elliott Parkinson

Jeod

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 01:14:03 am »
It needs to look more like a tower. The blades could be optional I suppose, but it should at least look like a tower. Take this example by Hoffy for a visual aid to what I'm talking about.

Re: LTTP Style OOT Kakariko Village [update]
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 10:05:58 pm »
Right, I have had another attempt at the windmill, I hope its an improvement.
  • Elliott Parkinson
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 10:32:33 pm »
  • 虫めづる姫君
Is it possible to show a map without the grid?  That really distrupts the view of everything.

Jeod

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 10:36:09 pm »
That's an excellent improvement, Majora. Now it looks like the building actually belongs there.

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 10:39:32 pm »
Is it possible to show a map without the grid?  That really distrupts the view of everything.

it is, but I dont want to spend an hour or two removing all of the lines. There is a program out there that does it for you, but I never did find it, if anyone has it it would be very much appreciated.

That's an excellent improvement, Majora. Now it looks like the building actually belongs there.

Glad to hear it.
  • Elliott Parkinson

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2009, 10:45:02 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
According to .TakaM, it's got a few errors, but it's nice :P

I like it.

Honestly though, I don't know why people aren't using World Artist to make the maps instead of just making them one huge ass image <_<;; They're useless as an image
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2009, 10:47:40 pm »
According to .TakaM, it's got a few errors, but it's nice :P

I like it.

Honestly though, I don't know why people aren't using World Artist to make the maps instead of just making them one huge ass image <_<;; They're useless as an image

Curious as to what the errors are?

As for world artist, never heard of it. As for them being useless, I can see how with a de-tiling program these images would be excellent with both Game Maker, and PureBasic (and similar languages). I am unsure of what programming language you use but clearly it doesnt not work in a similar way to either of these?
  • Elliott Parkinson

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2009, 10:51:31 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Actually I think the de-tiling is where the errors occurred; he didn't specify though D: I think it had something to do with some tiles not lining up properly, etc

World Artist is a tool Infini made back in the day; it's at www.binaryphoenix.com :p it's a neat tool. Takes a lil to get used to though, but you can make exporters for it that export maps to GM scripts and stuff.

Jeod

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2009, 11:12:26 pm »
The images are useful enough for me, anyway. But I'm a MMF2 user so that's why.

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2009, 11:18:12 pm »
Actually I think the de-tiling is where the errors occurred; he didn't specify though D: I think it had something to do with some tiles not lining up properly, etc

World Artist is a tool Infini made back in the day; it's at www.binaryphoenix.com :p it's a neat tool. Takes a lil to get used to though, but you can make exporters for it that export maps to GM scripts and stuff.

I would be interested if this could be pm'med to me or posted here so it can be fixed?

As for World Artist, I remember it now, the only issue is that I am running Linux, which makes it highly incompatable with my OS (if I remember correctly it depends largely on .net, something Wine has trouble with).
  • Elliott Parkinson
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 70 queries.

anything