Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: [Game Maker 8 Pro]Comprehensive Gameboy Zelda Engine  (Read 17616 times)

Koh

[Game Maker 8 Pro]Comprehensive Gameboy Zelda En...
« on: November 14, 2012, 10:25:16 pm »
  • Tamer Koh
Just digging this up to post the final update.  Since this is no longer being worked on, in favor of working on my original projects,  in addition to still receiving messages about it, I'm releasing the last, and most up-to-date version of the source code.

The code is well documented such that anyone could peruse through, and understand what each block or line of code does.  Many features were not fully implemented, such as the platforming area (ladders weren't implemented), however this engine could still serve as a starting point for many.  The code presented here is by no means the only or best way to handle things.  In fact, handling the graphics could have been done better, through the use of importing, such that when graphics need to be updated, all that would need to happen is the updating of the graphics files themselves.

Nonetheless, I present to you all the final batch of screenshots, and the final download package.  Good luck to any seeking to create a Zelda Fan Game!

Old Video
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDa7R2BvQd0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDa7R2BvQd0</a>

Final Screenshots

Final Download Package
Comprehensive Game Boy Zelda Engine:  Final Source Package
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 12:11:21 pm by Koh »
  • Megaclipse Games

Koh

Re: [Game Maker 8 Pro]Comprehensive Gameboy Zeld...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 11:06:09 pm »
  • Tamer Koh
Version 0.0.1.2 Now Live!

=========================================
Version 0.0.1.2 (Nov. 15, 2012)
-Fixed corner-cutting for left/right facing directions.
-Added a Slow-Walking Tile parent.
-Defined scrolling transition constants.
-Implemented screen-scrolling room transitions.
  • Megaclipse Games

Koh

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 04:45:50 pm »
  • Tamer Koh
Version 0.0.1.3 Now Live!

Version 0.0.1.3 (Nov. 17, 2012)
-Set F2 to restart the game.
-Implemented pushing for Link.  Functions A Link to the Past style, where he has to push for about half a second before he changes his sprites, and actually pushes anything.
-Added Pushable objects, and fully implemented them.

Is anyone finding this useful so far?  Are the comments in the code nice and explanatory?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 04:58:36 pm by dlbrooks33 »
  • Megaclipse Games
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 02:28:39 pm »
  • Take it away, fella's!
I really like this, nice job so far! One thing I noticed is that sometimes, when I'm pushing a block, the animation seems to occur nearly as quickly as I walked into it. However, this may just be because my computer slightly lags/speeds things up sometimes, and Game Maker games seem to do that a lot.

Koh

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 03:39:39 am »
  • Tamer Koh
I really like this, nice job so far! One thing I noticed is that sometimes, when I'm pushing a block, the animation seems to occur nearly as quickly as I walked into it. However, this may just be because my computer slightly lags/speeds things up sometimes, and Game Maker games seem to do that a lot.
Oh that was my mistake; I didn't allow for enough frames for Link's animation to sink in a bit.  I fixed that, but thanks for the feed back.

Build 0.0.1.4 Now Live!

Version 0.0.1.4 (Nov. 18, 2012)
-Implemented a Circle Transition and defined its constant.
-Implemented a Rectangle Transition and defined its constant.
-Implemented the warping system.
-Added additional maps.
-Defined specific color constants.
-Implemented a basic Shifting HUD.  It'll be at the bottom of the screen naturally, like in Link's Awakening, but if Link gets to the lower half of the screen, it'll scroll down and appear at the top.  This allows for the use of the entire room, instead of cutting out entire row of tiles for the sake of a stationary HUD.
-Setup a few global item and equipment variables needed for the HUD.'
-Added additional testing keys on W, E, A, S, D and F.
-Added low health effects.
  • Megaclipse Games
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 04:21:15 am »
I like how you included the executable in the zip file so that those without the pro version of Game Maker could see what is going on - although I wasn't able to run the executable, my computer is probably just being weird about that. In terms of the source code though, I think you could consider doing some things differently:

- the foot checking for environmental slowdown, you could have an actual tile represent the environmental hazard instead of an object. This might be more practical than doing objects. You could use constants which indicate the left offset of the tile in an environmental tile tilesheet in order to make it just as readable as objects. For example, tile_layer_find(-20,x,y) == tileSlow where the tile layer -20 is checked to see if the tileSlow tile is encountered.

- the direction checking. In addition to using Game Maker's built-in direction variable (might as well since the object is doing to have it regardless), you could simplify Link's direction checking by having the direction only truly updated when Link moves linearly but also corrected when Link moves diagonally. It would simplify a lot of your conditional statements.

That probably seems like nit-picking - I'd comment more on the other stuff if I ever get to try it out later. Otherwise though, there are aspects of this project which look very appealing and I wish you continued luck in moving the project forward.

Koh

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 05:02:20 am »
  • Tamer Koh
I like how you included the executable in the zip file so that those without the pro version of Game Maker could see what is going on - although I wasn't able to run the executable, my computer is probably just being weird about that. In terms of the source code though, I think you could consider doing some things differently:

- the foot checking for environmental slowdown, you could have an actual tile represent the environmental hazard instead of an object. This might be more practical than doing objects. You could use constants which indicate the left offset of the tile in an environmental tile tilesheet in order to make it just as readable as objects. For example, tile_layer_find(-20,x,y) == tileSlow where the tile layer -20 is checked to see if the tileSlow tile is encountered.

- the direction checking. In addition to using Game Maker's built-in direction variable (might as well since the object is doing to have it regardless), you could simplify Link's direction checking by having the direction only truly updated when Link moves linearly but also corrected when Link moves diagonally. It would simplify a lot of your conditional statements.

That probably seems like nit-picking - I'd comment more on the other stuff if I ever get to try it out later. Otherwise though, there are aspects of this project which look very appealing and I wish you continued luck in moving the project forward.
Thanks for the feedback; much appreciated.

There are two specific reasons I didn't use the built in direction variable for Link's directional facing.  One, whenever you use hspeed and vspeed, which I will, changing this changes their orientation.  Secondly, you wouldn't be able to do sprite changing with one line as I did, since you can't just add the character to the sprite string. You'd have to do a switch check or an if-else tree.

As for the tile-checking, I didn't do it that way because nothing is to be consistent.  I could understand if you already have the maps 100% ready and everything ready to go, but if you're constantly updating the tileset and the terrain, this isn't feasible, since you'd have to go back and update all of the scripts dealing with the tiles.
  • Megaclipse Games

Koh

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 03:50:01 am »
  • Tamer Koh
Build 0.0.1.5 Now Live!

Version 0.0.1.5 (Nov. 20, 2012)
-Implemented drawing equipped items on the HUD.
-Implemented the base script for using items.
-Implemented the Level-1 Shovel (Normal).
-Implemented the perishable Item system (Rupees, Hearts, etc.).
-Removed Testing Keys A, S, D and F, while adding R, T, and Y.
-Implemented the Level-2 Shovel (Golden).
  • Megaclipse Games

Koh

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 08:12:49 pm »
  • Tamer Koh
Just a heads up that this is still being worked on.  However, the next update is going to be a large one (though the major version number may still be 0 XD.)

Here's what's done so far:

-Updated the Golden Shovel to dig all 8 tiles (if possible) around Link as well as giving him double spoils.
-Implemented a pausing system.
-Implemented the equipment menu.
-Implemented the chest system.
-Implemented the item holding system.
-Implemented the Level 1-4 Swords (Fighter's, Master, Tempered and Golden).
-Implemented the Sword Beam system.
-Implemented the bush system.
-Implemented the leaf particle system.
-Implemented the random item drop script.
-Implemented the Heart Piece and Heart Container systems.
-Removed all testing keys.

And a few teaser shots:

« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 08:19:16 pm by dlbrooks33 »
  • Megaclipse Games

Koh

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 04:17:02 am »
  • Tamer Koh
How about a little teaser/trailer to show SOME of the things you can expect in the next version?  It's high time I went video mode anyway.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqfqf4DVQfM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqfqf4DVQfM</a>
  • Megaclipse Games
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 08:37:36 am »
Wow! This project is interesting. I was hoping that somebody other than me was posting to this thread.
Games that I support:

Forums that I am a member of:

Antidote

>.>
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 09:39:17 am »
  • In all seriousness who's serious?
dlbrooks doesn't know how to make something that isn't quality :O
  • Axiomatic Data Laboratories

Koh

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2013, 05:31:34 pm »
  • Tamer Koh
dlbrooks doesn't know how to make something that isn't quality :O
Lol, do you remember my old projects back in 2006/2007?  I don't think that was quality =c.  Of course, I was a pure newbie back then.

This is being picked back up, as I decided I wanted to use this as leverage for more practice in both graphics and code, while I simultaneously work on World of Chaos II.  So, that said, I'll show what I've been doing.

Basically, I'm updating the graphics I currently have in now, as more practice with color making and design.  The base colors are from the original A Link to the Past graphics, while the lightest (also highlights), darkest, inline, and outline colors I have made myself.  For comparison, old on the left, new on the right:

• Megaclipse Games
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 01:14:25 pm »
I think that the name of this thread should be "Enhanced Gameboy Zelda Engine", don't you?
Games that I support:

Koh

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2013, 12:08:48 pm »
  • Tamer Koh
I think that the name of this thread should be "Enhanced Gameboy Zelda Engine", don't you?
You are probably right XD.  The only thing that's actually exactly from the original gameboy games is the screen resolution.

I thought I'd go ahead and post what I have done on the upcoming version so far, to keep you guys updated.

Upcoming Version 1.0.0.0
-Updated the Golden Shovel to dig all 8 tiles (if possible) around Link as well as giving him double spoils.
-Implemented a pausing system.
-Implemented the equipment menu.
-Implemented the chest system.
-Implemented the item holding system.
-Implemented the Level 1-4 Swords (Fighter's, Master, Tempered and Golden).
-Implemented the Sword Beam system.
-Implemented the bush system.
-Implemented the leaf particle system.
-Implemented the random item drop script.
-Implemented the Heart Piece and Heart Container systems.
-Removed all testing keys.
-Implemented Rain and Thunder.
-Updated the rupee system to increase or decrease the counter by higher rates than 1, based on how much the counter is going to be affected.
-Improved the Circle and Rectangle transitions slightly.
-Improved the Scrolling transitions slightly.
-Implemented the Level 1-3 Shields (Figther's, Fireproof, and Mirror).
-Added more maps.
-Implemented Cliff Jumping.
-Implemented the Level 1 Rocs Item (Feather).
-Implemented Fairies.
-Slowed the movement of pushblocks.
-Rewrote Link's movement engine to function as a velocity system.
-Implemented Rolling, using double key tapping for Link.
-Updating prepackaged graphics as practice in that section, as well as giving the engine a better graphical appeal.
-Implemented "big rooms" where the camera has freedom to move around until the "edge" is reached.  Works for any size room, however, it is recommended to have all "connected" rooms the same size, for scrolling transitions to work smoothly.

As well as a couple of teaser shots.  In these shots though, a lot of graphics are still being updated, as you probably guessed.
  • Megaclipse Games
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 02:30:21 am »
Looks as if you are close to completion with this thing.
Games that I support:

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 01:56:44 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
This look very promising.  I really like the art style as well.  Great work! :D

Koh

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 06:24:00 pm »
  • Tamer Koh
Here, have a new video showing more of the new stuff.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDa7R2BvQd0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDa7R2BvQd0</a>

Again, there are many graphics are still in need of an update...it's difficult to accomplish more on that when you want to get more programming done XP. 
  • Megaclipse Games
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 07:44:44 pm »
Gameplay looks smooth. Nicely done.
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 12:41:02 am »
This is amazing, Koh! I'm loving everything so far, besides the constantly swapping subscreen.

How hard will it be to make cutscenes, and make different holdup item sounds (For the sword etc)?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 74 queries.