Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda OLD  (Read 17890 times)

AimesGames

Aimes Games: Zelda fan games.
The Legend of Zelda OLD
« on: June 22, 2014, 11:54:54 pm »
  • Zelda fan games.
Thank Fantym for the logo.

Hello.  I am some what still stalled on this project, though, it's only because I am learning 3D in Game Maker.
I am so excited to show what I have been working on... XD So, I did announce it somewhere that I was going to make this game into 3D, and I feel that it will fit most in 3D.  What I have learned is so far is that 3D is a lot more simple to modify than it is for 2D.  Some may disagree, but I think it's easier for me. ^.^

Here's a screenshot on what I have learned.  No, I didn't make that link model, that is a replica of OOT link.  I was hoping to use Majora's Mask Link because he in that game looks a lot better in my opinion. I just need to learn how to add textures to models in the right areas.  That's why link is blue.  It's just a random texture so I can show you~ 8)

*I also want to point out that a lot of comments aren't commented on this new update*

Camera is zoomed out.  But now I know how to have it show the model in different directions! :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 11:54:12 pm by AimesGames »
  • AimesGames's Website
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Silent Echoes
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 02:24:33 am »
Link looks a bit small to me, but overall it looks great.

AimesGames

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 03:00:40 am »
  • Zelda fan games.
I guarantee you that Link is the same size as any other Link from the Oracles.
However, the small illusion you are getting is because of the "camera" view, but it takes some getting used to if you've never seen a Oracle Link zoomed out like this.

Thank you for commenting and sharing your thoughts! :)
  • AimesGames's Website
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 11:33:10 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Cool. What program or programming language are you using to make this?

BTW, I bet it'd look much better with GBA resolution/ratio.

As seen at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_common_resolutions, the GBA res is 240 x 160.

It's smaller and wider than what you have there. Most of the time 4:3 ratios (i.e. 320x240) these days look odd to people because most people now have 16:9 or 16:10 ratio monitors. There's also a lot of interesting research that's been done on how the eyes see things and stuff, and Nintendo obviously puts thought into what screen res they go for. It seems like they are always choosing to go with something wider than 4:3 ratio, which makes sense. From what I've read, keeping it wider allows for the viewer/player to focus best on more stuff than if it was too tall, because of how our eyes see. So, in the end, more stuff can be on screen at one time without the viewer/player feeling like they can't focus or it's too busy or something.

Anyway, I'll shut up now. :P
Oh, but one more thing: If you give the roof of that house a color, like blue or red, then it would look less bland and more appealing. Of course, the chimney should stay gray. The tiling you've done is pretty nice, especially knowing how limited the GB tiles are. I will certainly play a demo once you get one out for public play.
  • My Music

AimesGames

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 11:35:41 am »
  • Zelda fan games.
Program: Game Maker 8.1 Standard, mostly Game Maker's Language and some drag-n-drop.

Please don't take me as stubborn.

I have seen great looking Zelda games around this resolution! I also want to announce that I don't want my Zelda game to be featured or looked at as a GB style game, nor GBA.

This game that I am about to share does not belong to me and belongs under the user of Dlbrooks33, and this is to share as an example of a successful Zelda game demo: http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/110882-the-legend-of-zelda-pearl-of-darkness

I personally had no problems focusing on Link.  I would also like to point out that the screenshots I've had shared weren't in full screen, and it's much more easier to see Link in fullscreen(don't worry)!  And the reason I rather have my ratio this way is because the graphics wouldn't look strange when it's more zoomed out.

As far as the homes goes, those were extracted out of ZC and I do not know of a proper way to do it.  Please, if you know how to extract ZC tilesets with it's actual quality, notify me by PM.  Some tilesets shows up grey. :(

Once I've released a tech demo of this game, and if you experience some issues focusing on Link then let me know, then I'll change the ratio.  But, I think you'll find it rather easy to focus on him. ^_^
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 11:44:36 am by AimesGames »
  • AimesGames's Website
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 07:33:40 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
I have seen great looking Zelda games around this resolution! I also want to announce that I don't want my Zelda game to be featured or looked at as a GB style game, nor GBA.

This game that I am about to share does not belong to me and belongs under the user of Dlbrooks33, and this is to share as an example of a successful Zelda game demo: http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/110882-the-legend-of-zelda-pearl-of-darkness
I know there are successful Zelda fan games, so I'm not sure why you showed me that game, but I played a little of it and it's quite fun, so thanks for showing it to me (I guess I'll have to look around YoYo games for more). :)
However, I don't see what the problem is with going with a res of 240x160. I mean, even that game is at that res. To be honest - and not to sound mean - but you can't use GB style graphics if you don't want your game to be viewed as GB or GBA. I don't see why it's a problem either way. That game you showed me feels like something in between the GB Zelda games and the GBA MC and it's quite fun. What's the reason you don't want it viewed as GB/GBA?
If you truly want to make a 2D Zelda that won't be viewed as GB/GBA, then you'll need to do something like Djipi is doing with his Zelda fan game "Skulltula's Amulet". Or you'd want to do something close to the FSA style, which is kind of like MC. The latest large effort OoT2D project would be a good example of that. Perhaps you could try that on the GB graphics. It's basically just various alpha blending with overlays. It gives things texture and detail. Changing the screen size just doesn't seem as effective as a graphical change, if you want it to be viewed as something other than GB/GBA.

I personally had no problems focusing on Link.  I would also like to point out that the screenshots I've had shared weren't in full screen, and it's much more easier to see Link in fullscreen(don't worry)!  And the reason I rather have my ratio this way is because the graphics wouldn't look strange when it's more zoomed out.
tight butthole, I actually zoomed the pics to make them full screen before I made my last post. But I was just giving advice, and you do not have to follow it. It's your fan game, after all.

As far as the homes goes, those were extracted out of ZC and I do not know of a proper way to do it.  Please, if you know how to extract ZC tilesets with it's actual quality, notify me by PM.  Some tilesets shows up grey. :(
Since you're using Game Maker, it must mean you are using a tileset in png or bmp format, right? You should be able to simply open up the tileset in a paint program and recolor. It's very simple. I could do it if you wanted.
It's been a while, but I remember ZC does have palettes, so you have to cycle through them to find the right one. And I remember there were different ones for overworld and dungeons, so you might possibly have been in the dungeon palettes, as most of those tend to have lots of darker colors and grays.

Once I've released a tech demo of this game, and if you experience some issues focusing on Link then let me know, then I'll change the ratio.  But, I think you'll find it rather easy to focus on him. ^_^
Fair enough. I'll wait and test a demo then. :)
  • My Music

AimesGames

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2014, 09:54:43 pm »
  • Zelda fan games.

I know there are successful Zelda fan games, so I'm not sure why you showed me that game, but I played a little of it and it's quite fun, so thanks for showing it to me (I guess I'll have to look around YoYo games for more). :)
However, I don't see what the problem is with going with a res of 240x160. I mean, even that game is at that res. To be honest - and not to sound mean - but you can't use GB style graphics if you don't want your game to be viewed as GB or GBA. I don't see why it's a problem either way. That game you showed me feels like something in between the GB Zelda games and the GBA MC and it's quite fun. What's the reason you don't want it viewed as GB/GBA?
If you truly want to make a 2D Zelda that won't be viewed as GB/GBA, then you'll need to do something like Djipi is doing with his Zelda fan game "Skulltula's Amulet". Or you'd want to do something close to the FSA style, which is kind of like MC. The latest large effort OoT2D project would be a good example of that. Perhaps you could try that on the GB graphics. It's basically just various alpha blending with overlays. It gives things texture and detail. Changing the screen size just doesn't seem as effective as a graphical change, if you want it to be viewed as something other than GB/GBA.

tight butthole, I actually zoomed the pics to make them full screen before I made my last post. But I was just giving advice, and you do not have to follow it. It's your fan game, after all.

Since you're using Game Maker, it must mean you are using a tileset in png or bmp format, right? You should be able to simply open up the tileset in a paint program and recolor. It's very simple. I could do it if you wanted.
It's been a while, but I remember ZC does have palettes, so you have to cycle through them to find the right one. And I remember there were different ones for overworld and dungeons, so you might possibly have been in the dungeon palettes, as most of those tend to have lots of darker colors and grays.

Fair enough. I'll wait and test a demo then. :)

I've tested out the ratio now, and fine.  :-X  Sorry, I missed typed the GBA part.  Brain fart.  I want people to view my game as a GBA, not GB because of the graphics and HUD.
  • AimesGames's Website
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Silent Echoes (stalled)
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 01:31:21 am »
It doesn't matter how it is viewed. If it plays well, then it will be well received.
Games that I support:

Forums that I am a member of:

AimesGames

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 01:50:02 am »
  • Zelda fan games.
Just need to bump this up so people can see~
New idea for the game.  It will no longer be in 2D. ^.^
  • AimesGames's Website

AimesGames

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 02:16:45 pm »
  • Zelda fan games.
Woohoo.  So I found out how to have the texture load properly on Link on SivModeler (easiest program to edit models/fix).  What's great about SivModeler is that it's made with Game Maker, so Game Maker will read the model easily with all the fixes.  What I want to do now to my 3D projection test now is to make Link look a bit better, so I gotta do some research to make Link good as on SivModeler.

SivModeler Link.

Fixed.  All I had to do was separate Link from the camera.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 04:14:09 pm by AimesGames »
  • AimesGames's Website

AimesGames

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 04:59:27 pm »
  • Zelda fan games.
 8)

Starting to get back into the project! I am learning on how to rigid models! This will allow me to make animations on the models! :) The reason why I stopped was because I got so irritated by blender, but I think I got the hang of it now.  I was able to move Link's head!!! :D I know right, amazing! Soon, you'll see Link walk! :)
  • AimesGames's Website
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 07:24:49 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Doctor, it's a miracle!! He can walk!! :)

i love big weenies and i cannot lie

AimesGames

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2015, 02:52:54 am »
  • Zelda fan games.
Bahahaha. Not yet, he's in surgery.
  • AimesGames's Website

AimesGames

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 03:43:08 am »
  • Zelda fan games.

Listen! Hey! Listen! Hey, hey! -shot-
Anyways, I just wanted to show everyone that I am using a model replica from Super Smash Bros. of Young Link! :)

• AimesGames's Website

Zhello

N.A.D.I.
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 05:42:12 pm »
  • L'homme avec beaucoup de noms.
Nice to see this is back, I am more into 2d game making, but 3d fan games get me interested quick in progress, keep it up.
The IT Guy
Intermediate Coder
Linux is a wonderful thing
~Linkwolf48/Gumstone1080~

The Legend of Zelda - New Beginnings

http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=34986.0
1.6 Demo -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/56km0iadaras56g/LoZNB%20Game%20Folder.rar?dl=0

Side Projects:

Dragon Diary - Cybernetic Threat
Story: http://wiki.zfgc.com/Cybernetic_Threat

Aero88
ZFGC is like the Hotel California.  You can come in but you can never leave!

devianart: http://linkwolf48.deviantart.com/

AimesGames

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 03:10:54 am »
  • Zelda fan games.
Progress will be slow. I have started college two weeks ago.
But, expect nice updates at least. I haven't given up, nor do I plan to!

P.s. This will seriously be my first time animating a 3D model, so please don't expect something none choppy and professional.  But, please do give some criticism so it becomes a decent animation.
  • AimesGames's Website

AimesGames

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2015, 04:46:37 am »
  • Zelda fan games.
Good news and bad news!

Bad news is...Stalled again! I can't just can't use Game Maker...Blender and Game Maker aren't friends.  SIGH. So, I am going to learn on how to use Blender to make games.  Wish me luck! I am getting the hang of things!! :)

Good news is...Link has a walking animation! :) Yay!
  • AimesGames's Website
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 04:03:52 am »
Why don't you upgrade to Game Maker Studio?
Games that I support:

Forums that I am a member of:

AimesGames

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 04:25:47 am »
  • Zelda fan games.
That's what I was using.
It only uses .d3d models, and the process of converting models to .d3d is too complicating.
  • AimesGames's Website

AimesGames

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2015, 08:56:59 pm »
  • Zelda fan games.
Now I can get to progress.
I had trouble animating Link, so I stalled the project for awhile.  I was originally going to try to learn python, but life happens, and I didn't really like python, nor do I look Blender game making.  So, back to GM: Studio!

This project will now go on! If I have further complications, I'll just start go back to 2D.

• AimesGames's Website
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 78 queries.

anything