Projects > Other Projects

The Untold Legacy

<< < (2/5) > >>

UknownXL:
Its Update Time!

DevLog # 01

Animations
Over the past couple of weeks I have been devoting most of my time to working on the games various animations. In Untold Legacy I am really wanting all the characters to show strong characteristics as well as fluid animations. I'm achieving the animation style by using a variation of meshes, skewing and a skeleton. All of which is setup in an animation program known as Spine.

The Hero Pushing an Object:

By using spine this will allow us to manipulate the character in realistic and dynamic ways within the game world. Just a few examples: when the hero is running through a village he will turn his head in a realistic manner to look at objects of interest, his hair can be effected by wind, and the hero can have various facial expressions while playing the game. Imagine his eyes darting around or the heros facial expression changing to match the setting. Pretty exciting stuff isnt it?

His animations will also blend in fluid ways. Normally when seeing 2D animations in a game you will see a series of animations switch. But by using spine it has allowed us to "blend animations". Meaning the hero can go from a natural walk cycle into a run cycle.

The Hero Running: (beautiful bouncy hair)

The Hero Walking:

Some of the other advantages to spine is we can easily assign props to the hero such as a sword or shield. Making it very easy to swap items and if needed alter existing animations. You can even add event listeners so Stefan (our) coder knows when to activate certain instances. For example when to initiate the player jumping, when to play certain sound effects or when to initiate damage.

The Hero Walking With Weapons Equipped:

Jump Animation With Assigned Listeners:

So yes the technology we are using is awesome. It really opens up a lot of doors and allows us to do things you normally couldn't.

The Game Engine & Prototype

Now on over to the code end of things. Stefan was largely working on the games prototype. We did have a working build from before but we made some big changes in the gameplay/design (just prior to the games official announcement) which resulted in Stefan restructuring the whole thing and starting from scratch. In the end this will for sure make things more organized and structured. We wanted the game to be as unique as possible so we implemented jumping into the mix which will make progressing areas and combat more unique. Below you can see we have dynamic shadows, fluid spine animations (placeholder), z mapping, jumping and a touch of 2D normal maps.

Me Testing out Dynamic Lighting and Jumping

Concept/Cinematic Art
On the other end of things we have also been hard at work with some concept art for some rather important locations in the game.

Starforsaken101:

--- Quote from: UknownXL on May 29, 2015, 11:01:44 pm ---Oh haha. Well we may very well need help. What sort of experience do you have? We are just a team of 3 at the moment.

--- End quote ---

By help I mean just offering some tips - I don't have the time to dedicate my full attention towards a team at the moment, haha. I'm a professional developer, been in the industry for 5+ years. I've been working with Unity for almost 2 years now, and work with it full-time as well. So yeah, if you're stuck with something, just let me know and I'll see if I can lead you in the right direction.

UknownXL:

--- Quote from: Starforsaken101 on May 30, 2015, 05:34:44 pm ---
--- Quote from: UknownXL on May 29, 2015, 11:01:44 pm ---Oh haha. Well we may very well need help. What sort of experience do you have? We are just a team of 3 at the moment.

--- End quote ---

By help I mean just offering some tips - I don't have the time to dedicate my full attention towards a team at the moment, haha. I'm a professional developer, been in the industry for 5+ years. I've been working with Unity for almost 2 years now, and work with it full-time as well. So yeah, if you're stuck with something, just let me know and I'll see if I can lead you in the right direction.

--- End quote ---

I'm also a full time developer. Were fresh into Unity but I have myself personally been developing games since I was a kid. (a handful of web and mobile games developed) Been developing full time for 10 years now. I wasnt asking you to join the team  XD
Just that if we get stuck I may ask for your opinion.

By the way we broke the top 100 on indieDB. Was ranked 26 for a moment :D.
Thats pretty exciting stuff in my opinion.

FISSURE:
Hey, this is looking pretty cool. Great work so far to you and your team. Keep up the good work.

UknownXL:
Thank you. Any praise is greatly appreciated. I know there isn't a ton to see yet but I promise more is on the way. I expect everyone will be thoroughly impressed. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Go to full version