Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: OCCC (Oklahoma City Community College) supports Game Maker! THE DEBATE  (Read 8748 times)

Re: OCCC (Oklahoma City Community College) suppo...
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2007, 07:12:55 pm »
  • IBV
This is !@#$% insane!!

Seriously, this is probably the worst mistake of decision someone has ever made since Bush and his friends decided to declare war on Iraq. Well, pretty close at least.

Where the hell is the world getting to? Tomorrow we will have driving schools only teaching you to drive a certain brand. !@#$%.

Not everyone can be pro C++  programmers
This is not a question about language. See below.

This is !@#$% insane!!

Seriously, this is probably the worst mistake of decision someone has ever made since Bush and his friends decided to declare war on Iraq. Well, pretty close at least.

Where the hell is the world getting to? Tomorrow we will have driving schools only teaching you to drive a certain brand. !@#$%.

Lol, it's hardly like they're only teaching Game Maker. They're just making the software available freely to students and making sure people know how to use it.

"Freely available?" HEEEEEELL NO. Have you read the copyright license for Game Maker? It more or less says that if you make a good game YoYo Games can demand the rights to it. Where the hell is the education going if students can't make something without getting it stolen by some !@#$% commercial-driven organization who happens to sponsor the !@#$%? It's !@#$% insane. Academic and educational institution should use REAL freely available and neutral tools. Otherwise they will lose their primary goal; to teach and let people learn. You can't learn with Game Maker; it restricts you too much (and I don't mean that in a technical way; I mean it restricts what rights you have, and among them is the right to learn!)

I'm sure yoyo games will never ty to get the rights for your game, they probably just put it in there for whatever.

O_O;; That was the worst excuse EVER. Seriously. And either way, there are tons of other problems with the license. For example they don't provide you with the source code to the program. That's like giving an edu-book to students and forbid them to read the actual text. Such things shouldn't be used on an on a school. There are tons of better and more free alternatives to Game Maker, just as good and dare I say even better?

It's not an excuse.

some people don't want you looking at their source code >.>

And then at least such programs don't belong in a school or university.

Venus, stop being paranoid and get off those damn drugs. A college uses Gamemaker. AWNAWS THE WORLD ENDS.. -.-

It's a very serious thing. Of course, if you prefer a world where you have no freedom, where you can't learn, where you can't teach, and so on, sure then it's not so serious. However I don't prefer that kind of world and every sign I see of that world coming closer I must make sure people see it from another perspective which they might never have seen it before.

For example. A lot of people here might object to the decision because GameMaker is inferior technically and while I do agree with them for objecting, they might forget that there are much more important things than what's powerful enough to teach. In fact, if GameMaker was ethical (for example by being free software) I would love to see it being used by interested new students to learn the basics.

At the same time, the people who swallow and accept these decisions without thinking twice, I give them the opportunity to know more what's behind these decisions and how they might affect the society. Of course in the end they can choose what they think and what they will be doing about it, if anything at all.

I'm sorry, but I can't really see the world getting to this, and I do have the right to inform, so stop being an ass. If you don't agree with me then ignore me. :) I'm only asking you to listen to me if you want to listen to me.

You're acting like Game Maker is being run by communists, you're going way overboard man.

Communism in any of its forms really has nothing to do with this. You're the one going overboard by even accusing me of something so silly and trying to make a point at the same time. >_>
If you want to criticize me, please do it in a better way (hey, at least so I can actually understand your criticism!), or otherwise you'll be ignored. Thank you.
My signature is empty.
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2007, 08:52:46 pm »
This is !@#$% insane!!

This is not a question about language. See below.

This is !@#$% insane!!

Lol, it's hardly like they're only teaching Game Maker. They're just making the software available freely to students and making sure people know how to use it.

"Freely available?" HEEEEEELL NO. Have you read the copyright license for Game Maker? It more or less says that if you make a good game YoYo Games can demand the rights to it. Where the hell is the education going if students can't make something without getting it stolen by some !@#$% commercial-driven organization who happens to sponsor the !@#$%? It's !@#$% insane. Academic and educational institution should use REAL freely available and neutral tools. Otherwise they will lose their primary goal; to teach and let people learn. You can't learn with Game Maker; it restricts you too much (and I don't mean that in a technical way; I mean it restricts what rights you have, and among them is the right to learn!)

I'm sure yoyo games will never ty to get the rights for your game, they probably just put it in there for whatever.

O_O;; That was the worst excuse EVER. Seriously. And either way, there are tons of other problems with the license. For example they don't provide you with the source code to the program. That's like giving an edu-book to students and forbid them to read the actual text. Such things shouldn't be used on an on a school. There are tons of better and more free alternatives to Game Maker, just as good and dare I say even better?

It's not an excuse.

some people don't want you looking at their source code >.>

And then at least such programs don't belong in a school or university.

Venus, stop being paranoid and get off those damn drugs. A college uses Gamemaker. AWNAWS THE WORLD ENDS.. -.-

It's a very serious thing. Of course, if you prefer a world where you have no freedom, where you can't learn, where you can't teach, and so on, sure then it's not so serious. However I don't prefer that kind of world and every sign I see of that world coming closer I must make sure people see it from another perspective which they might never have seen it before.

For example. A lot of people here might object to the decision because GameMaker is inferior technically and while I do agree with them for objecting, they might forget that there are much more important things than what's powerful enough to teach. In fact, if GameMaker was ethical (for example by being free software) I would love to see it being used by interested new students to learn the basics.

At the same time, the people who swallow and accept these decisions without thinking twice, I give them the opportunity to know more what's behind these decisions and how they might affect the society. Of course in the end they can choose what they think and what they will be doing about it, if anything at all.

I'm sorry, but I can't really see the world getting to this, and I do have the right to inform, so stop being an ass. If you don't agree with me then ignore me. :) I'm only asking you to listen to me if you want to listen to me.

You're acting like Game Maker is being run by communists, you're going way overboard man.

Communism in any of its forms really has nothing to do with this. You're the one going overboard by even accusing me of something so silly and trying to make a point at the same time. >_>
If you want to criticize me, please do it in a better way (hey, at least so I can actually understand your criticism!), or otherwise you'll be ignored. Thank you.

Sorry :(

But screaming about having freedom and !@#$% taken away is going overboard, it's a damn game making program a lot of people use. No need to get all pissy at a college for offering it.

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2007, 10:25:14 pm »
  • IBV

But don't you realize what effects it has on society? Universities will become commercial organizations with the goal of using students to produce proprietary software used only for commercial interest and not for academic interest? Universities and schools are supposed to have the goal of teaching and research information. It's there to make new information (both for mankind and the individual) made available for the good of the society. GameMaker simply isn't made to help reach that goal. Since it's proprietary software and owned by a central organization such as YoYo Games it's really anti-academic. Either the university/school would have to develop it's own free alt., or they would have to use a free alt. made by someone else. Free software has no owners, it's decentralized and it allows you learn. For example, it lets you see the source code and modify it for your needs or help your neighbor. That's something an IT-student should expect to be able to do, if he or she wants. Using GameMaker for education effectively denies the students' rights to do this. GameMaker might be really useful and sexy for some, but that's really only what it is. That's only what it gives you and it's not enough! You shouldn't just accept that, and definitely a school shouldn't make that decision for the students and force them to accept it!

My signature is empty.
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2007, 12:15:20 am »
  • Protecting Hyrule from the forces of Darkness!
But don't you realize what effects it has on society? Universities will become commercial organizations with the goal of using students to produce proprietary software used only for commercial interest and not for academic interest? Universities and schools are supposed to have the goal of teaching and research information. It's there to make new information (both for mankind and the individual) made available for the good of the society. GameMaker simply isn't made to help reach that goal. Since it's proprietary software and owned by a central organization such as YoYo Games it's really anti-academic. Either the university/school would have to develop it's own free alt., or they would have to use a free alt. made by someone else. Free software has no owners, it's decentralized and it allows you learn. For example, it lets you see the source code and modify it for your needs or help your neighbor. That's something an IT-student should expect to be able to do, if he or she wants. Using GameMaker for education effectively denies the students' rights to do this. GameMaker might be really useful and sexy for some, but that's really only what it is. That's only what it gives you and it's not enough! You shouldn't just accept that, and definitely a school shouldn't make that decision for the students and force them to accept it!

I agree fully Venus, I was more freaked out that my college would go to anti-academic means by introducing Game Maker in an academic environment. Still the shear fact that this topic, which began as a announcement, turned into a big debate surprised me.
My screenname is pronounced:
Zen-ta-wo-cot-ious the L is silent.
Visit Parnell Games
Quote from: MaJoRa
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.
Quote from: Zentawolcotious
Live today as if its your last.
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2007, 02:23:29 am »
  • Txet Lanosrep
EDIT: Yeah I got the message, moved.

From now on this topic is a debate.

DEBATE!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 02:26:24 am by Retro »

Retro
  • TITANIC
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2007, 02:29:14 am »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Venus, this is ridiculous, what in God's name are you rambling about?  How does a company owning the software prevent you from learning?  By that logic, 3DS Max can't be educational to an art student because a company owns it.  wtf. 

Also, why the hell would you want to modify Game Maker's source code?  That doesn't make sense.  The point of an introductory programming class is to introduce students to basic level programming, which Game Maker just so happens to provide.

Also, i'm moving this to debates.

edit: lol, beaten to it.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2007, 06:35:11 am »
  • IBV
Venus, this is ridiculous, what in God's name are you rambling about?  How does a company owning the software prevent you from learning?  By that logic, 3DS Max can't be educational to an art student because a company owns it.  wtf. 

Also, why the hell would you want to modify Game Maker's source code?  That doesn't make sense.  The point of an introductory programming class is to introduce students to basic level programming, which Game Maker just so happens to provide.

Also, i'm moving this to debates.

edit: lol, beaten to it.

Exactly, 3DS Max shouldn't be used in education. If it was free software, then yes, it could be used.

It's a question about right. Even if you're not even going to touch the source code files or even bother to get them, it's still something you should have the right to do, just in case you or someone else that you redistribute to might want it. It's an essential part for free software in a free society. This because without the source code it's not possible to modify the software or almost more importantly: learn from it.

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/why-free.html
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/shouldbefree.html
http://www.gnu.org/education/

There's some good links I found that described about software and owners. The last link is about software in education. I recommend reading it for those interested.
My signature is empty.
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2007, 04:22:34 am »
I agree with Venus. :P

Damn, how many times have you had to explain Free Software here?
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2007, 08:28:24 am »
  • I need something new to put here...
Lol, I'm amazed at how many people haven't gone back before YoYoGames :P
It was made by a University professor, for his class, and basically, therefore, was originally made for university. How do we know that they don't teach the source code or anything? I wouldn't want to release my source code for some program that is commercial.
And they can't really take rights to your game if they don't know what it was made with, that's most likely to have only been for the unregistered version.
I have done my homework :P
,;Sk;,
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2007, 09:40:25 pm »
  • Protecting Hyrule from the forces of Darkness!
Best kick in the teeth for yoyo games would be to make a fan game with it and do your best.
If they want rights to it, let em'. Then they will be the ones dealing with the copyright infringement charge.
My screenname is pronounced:
Zen-ta-wo-cot-ious the L is silent.
Visit Parnell Games
Quote from: MaJoRa
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.
Quote from: Zentawolcotious
Live today as if its your last.
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2007, 07:06:43 pm »
  • IBV
Best kick in the teeth for yoyo games would be to make a fan game with it and do your best.
If they want rights to it, let em'. Then they will be the ones dealing with the copyright infringement charge.

No, in that case they would probably sue you because the EULA says you can't do that as well (making fan games using copyright restricted resources).
My signature is empty.
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2007, 12:59:31 am »

No, in that case they would probably sue you because the EULA says you can't do that as well (making fan games using copyright restricted resources).
They deserve it if their game is non-free. XD
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2007, 01:04:46 am »
  • Txet Lanosrep
cough...OoT 2D

Anyways I see no reason for the University not to have GameMaker, but I think it's a little to simple for anybody in University...  I knew GML when I was nine.

Retro
  • TITANIC
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2007, 01:06:15 am »
cough...OoT 2D

Anyways I see no reason for the University not to have GameMaker, but I think it's a little to simple for anybody in University...  I knew GML when I was nine.
PROPRIETARY SOFTWARE
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2007, 09:26:58 am »
What's so "amazing" about OCCC? My old school also supports Game Maker... (www.olympuscollege.nl)
  • Virtual Security
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2007, 03:10:40 am »
  • The king of Awesome
This is !@#$% insane!!

I can.. But I don't have the patience nor a good guide for me to start right now, GML came pretty quick like a month I was awesome at it!
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2007, 04:42:33 am »
  • w00t
DarkFusion, please check the date before you reply next time.  The discussion kinda died a month ago.
What do you mean I need a life?  =P  Hm... Lives... Isn't that something that you get in Super Mario Bros?  You know, those green mushrooms?  That's a life, right?

My one and only fangame, Link Maze, may be viewed at http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=82.0
  • Link Maze - Zelda mini fangame
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.654 seconds with 103 queries.