Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Koh's Sprite Joint  (Read 19109 times)

Koh

Koh's Sprite Joint
« on: July 07, 2013, 09:11:07 pm »
  • Tamer Koh
No, you can't smoke this thread, don't even try :P.

I guess I should have my own general place where I can get some feedback on my work.  As you all know, I'm an aspiring game developer, and have a few projects underway.  However, I've mostly halted the other projects in favor of working on my own.  There are two primary original projects I have going on at the moment, being World of Chaos 1:  The Jewels of Life and World of Chaos 2:  Kenta's Journey.

Here is a basic screenshot of what I have done so far with the new version World of Chaos 1.  Some of you may remember the last time I worked on it a few months ago before I lost the data.  Due to that, I've started from scratch, but it has also allowed me to make various changes and updates to my ideas for the game.  So that said, here's an early preview screenshot; how does the graphical style look to you?

Just a note:
-I'm aware that the sky and panoramic backdrops are missing.  I've yet to draw them, and have very little to no experience in doing so...so I'm basically putting it off for a bit while I build the base engine.  Doing the code to get them to move around based on the screen is easy; actually drawing them is far more difficult o.o.
  • Megaclipse Games
Re: Koh's Sprite Joint
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 09:29:25 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
The tiles are nice, but there is very little variation (at least, so far). When making a level/area/stage/whatever, keep in mind that you want the player to enjoy going through it, looking at it, wanting to check out what comes next. If you treat it more like an obstacle for the player to get through, it will likely turn out rather uninteresting. Usually games tend to have moving things as a main method of keeping the eyes entertained, making the game feel more alive. It's incredible how much difference animated things make. Also graphical effects like: particles (e.g. sparkles, dirt pieces, smoke/dust), glowing effects, sun ray overlays, reflections in water, etc., can all make a fairly minimal tileset look a lot better, which makes the game more interesting to play and much more enjoyable and memorable for the player.

Always be thinking of ways to make your game stand out amongst the crowd. Make it memorable. I really like your pixel art style for the most part. The biggest flaw I see in it is the font, which looks a bit sloppy; it should be more uniform. Just look at the lower case "m" and "n" against the lower case "e" to see what I mean. The problem with it is that it makes it hard to read, and the MOST important thing about text is that it should be easily readable, because that is it's purpose, to be read.

Besides that, the bar with the star on it has the black outline border run through the star's black outline, causing - for lack of a better word - "interference", which screws up the star's definition (I hope you follow; I probably could've worded it better). It might be better to simply make the star BE the end of the bar, rather than having the bar come under it. It would make things cleaner and more defined. Actually, now that I look at it, the 1's outline is having the same problem. Not to mention that it also takes away the "curve" to the bar's edges. You might want to make that bar thicker as well, or at least make a design that has the part with the number thicker, so it doesn't have the same problems.

If you fixed those things, I would love this completely. I am especially loving the tiles, the character, and the character's mug. Very nice work! I hope I helped you a little. I'm always looking to help fellow aspiring game developers. :)

EDIT:
I saw this and realized you probably already have a good grasp on level design:
http://tamerkoh.deviantart.com/art/World-of-Chaos-2-Graphical-Style-345849885
Aw well, maybe I helped you a little bit anyway.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 09:37:47 pm by FrozenFire »
  • My Music

Koh

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2013, 05:40:09 pm »
  • Tamer Koh
Yes you did =).  I've updated most of what you were talking about already.

Finally trying my hand at Panoramic Backgrounds again, since I've little to no experience with them.  I figure it's best to make the panorama similar in style to the foreground, keeping it "blocky."  The hardest part was shifting the colors towards the sky...
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 10:30:50 pm by Koh »
  • Megaclipse Games

Koh

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 12:40:19 am »
  • Tamer Koh
*blows off the cobwebs on this thread*

I do have some things to show that I've been tinkering with lately.

Messing with 4 colors per 8x8 tile restrictions:

Practicing Hi-Res:
  • Megaclipse Games
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 01:47:31 am »
Those look very nice, good work. i love the second tileset, it looks very good and old school.

Koh

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 08:18:00 pm »
  • Tamer Koh

Just for funsies.  I've always wanted to try doing it for this sprite.  Oh hey look, 900 posts.  It only took 8 years.

Edit:  Updated Version
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 09:35:59 am by Koh »
  • Megaclipse Games

Koh

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 12:47:13 am »
  • Tamer Koh

Lo, Med, and Hi Res.
People would be able to switch between any of them at any time in the options menu.  Which do you like best?
  • Megaclipse Games

DarkerColt

Programmer / Game Developer
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 02:30:57 am »
  • "Youtuber, Fan-Game Creator, Student"
Personally i prefer the lower resolution images (pixelated). But they are all excellent, very jealous of your talent!
Hey There! im new to the forums, but will be quite active! started work on a new Majora's Mask Remake project in the forums if anyone is interested!
  • Youtube:

Koh

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 01:33:31 pm »
  • Tamer Koh
They do have a certain charm, which is why I wanted to have these different settings, to appease the most people.  It can be fun, seeing what kind of detail you can add, while maintaining the style of the original as well. Thanks~

Lo and mid resolution font.  Lo doesn't have enough space for lower case, so everyone would be talking in all caps rage, ha ha.
  • Megaclipse Games

Koh

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 03:21:03 pm »
  • Tamer Koh
In other practice...

Baby, you spin me around ♫

Definitely good practice; it's not often I draw ordinal directions.
  • Megaclipse Games

Koh

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 03:32:11 pm »
  • Tamer Koh
Just an experiment to handle my spritework in a similar fashion as I do my toons (see my avatar for reference).

Old Way: 
Updated Way: 

The third shade and such will come into play for things further back, or in a position where the lightsource is blocked.
  • Megaclipse Games
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 05:30:53 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Updated Way: 

With the way the source appears to hit him (most noticeable by looking at the pants), the floor shadow feels like it should not go in front of him but behind him. Also, the contrast color difference in the pants is much more extreme than the feet. The feet need more contrast in colors. Same with the purple parts.

A simple method to ensure all shades of colors are consistent is to use layers. To do this, you would use single solid colors (no shades) for the lower layer and then layer the shading over top of that. The shading would simply use black (shadow) and white (highlighting) and make use of alpha blend to get lighter and darker shades. And if you wanted more advanced shading, you could include another layer (above all layers, except maybe not your outlines) which would give a certain tint to all shades and colors. For example, if your character was outside and the sun was shining on him, you would give a tint that seems "sunny", like an ever so slight white-ish yellow tint. If in a cave or outside at night, you'd probably do some slight purple-ish tint. If a full moon was out, you'd do something a little whiter than if in a cave. I'm sure you get the idea; you'd just be trying to simulate the desired environmental lighting.
(I use the free program called "Paint.NET" for most of my graphics and it can do layers, just in case you would like to try this out and you if don't already have something that can do layers.)

I should note that there may be more accurate way to do shading, but this is the best way that I personally know of.

Anyway, the difference from new and old shows some real nice improvement. The perspective and proportions of the character seem much nicer. The image is more detailed and it's sharper, for the most part. Oh, and the spinning Link is cool too. 8)
  • My Music

Koh

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 07:42:56 pm »
  • Tamer Koh
I know what method you're referring to with the layer shading.  I actually migrated away from doing that, because the shades turn out bland.  I like to make each shade (and highlight) manually, adding some color shifting to make them pop out more.  But thanks for the feedback~
  • Megaclipse Games

Koh

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 12:14:46 am »
  • Tamer Koh

Experimented with giving double frames of animation for Hi-Res sprites.  I quite like the results~

What's missing from this animation:
-Hair/cheek fur bounciness.
-Tail movement.
-Translucent Shadow.
  • Megaclipse Games
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2014, 01:43:12 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Looks pretty nice; very smooth animation. If you could get some mid-body sway and a tad bit of head bob, along with the other things you listed, it'd be even better.

Not the best example running animation, but Google wasn't being nice to me, so it's the best I found:
  • My Music

Koh

« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2014, 10:03:39 pm »
  • Tamer Koh
Definitely trying that as I go back and edit the frames to add the missing things, but not before I get the base of the other directions done.  It'll allow me to have consistent positioning of the tail and such when I go back to add that throughout the directions.  Here's a distraction.

• Megaclipse Games

Koh

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2014, 09:35:25 pm »
  • Tamer Koh
@Demonlink:  I like that you've went above and beyond to make the animations not just horizontal flips; looks nice!  The only thing that bothers me is all their skin colors.  At first I thought it was just a thing for Red Nayru, but they all look like they got a bad sunburn.  Unless, maybe that's intentional?

These graphics aren't new, and are going to be replaced as mentioned in the previous pages of the thread, but I wanted to try out a sweet program Lexou Duck, on Spriter's Resource, linked me to to capture GIF video, GifCam.

Quite nice indeed.  Thanks for the reference!  I can use this to show how things animate in the world when I get there with my other projects, without having to make a Youtube Video.
  • Megaclipse Games

AJAX

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2014, 06:08:01 am »
If you had time to do a project on the side, I'd hire you

Koh

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2014, 12:01:41 pm »
  • Tamer Koh
I didn't want to spend too much time on the cliffs, but you get the idea.

• Megaclipse Games

Koh

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 04:59:02 pm »
  • Tamer Koh
Will be moving onto the running animation next, but here's a quick little showcase thingy.

If you just hi-res the existing frames of an animation, you get this.

Looks fine for the lower res, but for the higher res, it looks jerky.  So what do you do?  You treat those frames as key frames, and create a new frame after each, that transitions to the next key frame.

Ahh, much smoother.

Side by side
  • Megaclipse Games
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 78 queries.