Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Rants Forum  (Read 7365 times)

New Rants Forum
« on: August 10, 2009, 11:56:49 am »
  • Fight the Power
I think we should have a sub-forum under the feedback board called 'Rants' where any member could write about their concerns. For example, if they have problem with a staff member and think it should be discussed publically. This shouldn't revolve around staff members only though, members could also rant about a particular member's attitude.

Why not just post this in the Feedback or Community Speak boards? Because they're mostly considered trolls and it's not what they're there for. Feedback could work, but a rant section is more specific. I hate the idea of always PMing my concerns and keeping it between the staff and me only, I think there are some things that should be discussed publically and let everyone have their say.

Please stay open-minded. Opinions?

Currently Listening to: Mos Def - Summertime
Re: New Rants Forum
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 12:52:58 pm »
Sounds like the recipe for a flame war.  :)
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 01:02:51 pm »
I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before, and the answer is most probably no.
And don't think that I can't see where you're coming from and what gave you this idea.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 01:06:43 pm »
  • Fight the Power
Sounds like the recipe for a flame war.
Not if people are mature enough to know calling other members retarded is a bad thing.

Also, having a board like this could avoid having new incidents like the last one we had. The only real problem between us is the lack of communication. This board would be a step forward to better communication between members-members and members-staff.

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before, and the answer is most probably no.
It's worth a shot.

And don't think that I can't see where you're coming from and what gave you this idea.
I think that is pretty obvious.

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 01:25:03 pm »
  • b e p i s
I think a Rants board is really unnecessary. All it will do is add to forum drama, and anyone can post their thoughts rationally and considerately in Feedback and be heard.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 01:32:38 pm »
  • Fight the Power
The thing is, it's not specific enough. Feedback's tipically used when a member's having trouble with a website feature for example.
I agree that it could add to the drama like you said, but if you have specific rules for that particular board it could work. No direct flaming, instead explaning the problem to the others in a civilised way. Maybe somebody else is having the same problem and it bugs them.

I've been in other forums with a Rant board and I have to say it works really well.

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 01:34:23 pm »
  • b e p i s
The thing is, it's not specific enough. Feedback's tipically used when a member's having trouble with a website feature for example.
I agree that it could add to the drama like you said, but if you have specific rules for that particular board it could work. No direct flaming, instead explaning the problem to the others in a civilised way. Maybe somebody else is having the same problem and it bugs them.

I've been in other forums with a Rant board and I have to say it works really well.

The thing here is that...well, we're a very small community. People take things very personally. A forum called "Rants" has connotations of anger and bitterness even if that's not the point, and people would get up in arms over it.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 01:38:02 pm »
  • Fight the Power
I agree, maybe the name's not appropriate... anybody got any suggestions?

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 01:39:27 pm »

The thing here is that...well, we're a very small community. People take things very personally. A forum called "Rants" has connotations of anger and bitterness even if that's not the point, and people would get up in arms over it.

Not to mention that many topics end up in the wrong board, because someone considered his topic just feedback, but others consider it a rant. Or when something is just a rant to unburden there minds, but ends up seen as a feedback. These two sections are easily confused.
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 01:43:09 pm »
  • Fight the Power
Not to mention that many topics end up in the wrong board, because someone considered his topic just feedback, but others consider it a rant. Or when something is just a rant to unburden there minds, but ends up seen as a feedback. These two sections are easily confused.
And that is why having two separate boards would work well in my opinion. Actually, it wouldn't even have to be separate, it could be a childboard as I said earlier.

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 03:08:59 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
I don't think this would work well at all. I don't mind if you guys have problems with me on staff, but I really have a feeling somebody would make this into a drama fest. Darunia, I agree that you could probably be mature and follow a set of rules, but not everyone would. Either way, I don't know how I would feel if somebody pointed out a problem with me (rude, or not rudely) in public.
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 03:34:54 pm »
  • Fight the Power
Darunia, I agree that you could probably be mature and follow a set of rules, but not everyone would.
...but I really have a feeling somebody would make this into a drama fest.
That's what the staff is there for, no?

Either way, I don't know how I would feel if somebody pointed out a problem with me (rude, or not rudely) in public.
Sad thing is, there will always be people who will do that, board or no board. People constantly do it and it derails topics and becomes a flame war. If there was a board like this where we could work out problems publicly in a civilised way, there would be no need to start inner flame wars and lock topics that were going well before the flamers came in anymore. You could just create a new topic in the "rants" board and talk about it there.

Besides, if people really misused it, you could just take the board off or ban the troublesome user from it.

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 05:05:17 pm »
  • Colbydude was here.
We have one, it's called the PM outbox. Use it. Just because you have a problem with a staff member doesn't mean you need to make it public.
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 05:05:54 pm »
  • Super Hero Time!
-Name- is a coward, two faced and never shuts up and keeps spamming. He's the lowest form of scum on this earth and honestly, I think he should die. He really doesn't deserve to be here and I personally think he should be banned. What do you think ZFGC?

Putting down members is FUN.

You keep throwing out the words civilized and mature. Topics like these NEVER turn out civilized and mature, ever. They always turn into shitstorms no matter the discussion. Someone says the wrong thing, or the person takes something out of context and it goes from there.

There are some things, like this for example, that shouldn't be discussed publicly. Not only does it reflect on the image of the person, but the community and site as a whole. Someone comes to this site, sees a board for "discussing" members, sees huge arguments and flaming, are they going to want to stay? No. They could end up getting 'discussed' themselves.

Now what if someone goes overboard? BAN THE TROUBLESOME. That's always the solution isn't it? People speak their mind, they get banned. This board you're pitching is supposed to be for freedom to discuss members, so why can't they speak their mind?

Fact of the matter is, a board like this will never EVER work, especially in an environment so hostel and personal like ZFGC.

If you have a problem with someone, take it up with them personally, don't try and get the forum to "discuss" them. If you want to talk to someone else about a member, PM someone else or message them on MSN or something, dont make !@#$% hit the fan more.

This reminds me of someone who can't fight one on one so they have to run off to get someone to back them up.

The aim is to make ZFGC better, not make it an even bigger !@#$% hole.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 05:11:45 pm »
If this topic was spoken it'd be the sound of a community slowly crumbling and imploding.

Let this place die for the love of !@#$%
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 05:22:56 pm »
Sounds like the recipe for a flame war.
Not if people are mature enough to know calling other members retarded is a bad thing.

which they aren't

the board wouldn't work, it would cause many unnecessary bannings

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 05:29:04 pm »
  • Colbydude was here.
...or very necessary bannings?  >:]
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 05:39:09 pm »

yes, if you're an evil dictator

oh wait

>:/

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 05:41:13 pm »
  • Colbydude was here.
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 05:49:31 pm »
  • Fight the Power
@ Fissure
the board wouldn't work, it would cause many unnecessary bannings
Jesus, you guys always take things and distort them completely so you can whine about them. I said ban them from the rant boards, not the whole forum.

@ DJvenom
We have one, it's called the PM outbox. Use it. Just because you have a problem with a staff member doesn't mean you need to make it public.
But it keeps things hidden and it doesn't allow for everyone to say what they think about it. I agree that it wouldn't be a nice feeling to be "discussed" about, but if you give them no reason to in the first place you should be OK with it.

This is true, people would get banned for the sole reason that some people don't like them personally and would like to see them gone from their forums.

@Porkchop
-Name- is a coward, two faced and never shuts up and keeps spamming. He's the lowest form of scum on this earth and honestly, I think he should die. He really doesn't deserve to be here and I personally think he should be banned. What do you think ZFGC?

Putting down members is FUN.

You keep throwing out the words civilized and mature. Topics like these NEVER turn out civilized and mature, ever. They always turn into shitstorms no matter the discussion. Someone says the wrong thing, or the person takes something out of context and it goes from there.
Just because someone might make a topic like that doesn't mean eveyone would. My response to this would be:

I don't like the way -Name- treats me. He thinks he owns the place and is constantly flaming others. I'd like to see a change in his attitude. What do you think, ZFGC? Have you had problems with this person before?
Much more approriate.

There are some things, like this for example, that shouldn't be discussed publicly. Not only does it reflect on the image of the person, but the community and site as a whole. Someone comes to this site, sees a board for "discussing" members, sees huge arguments and flaming, are they going to want to stay? No. They could end up getting 'discussed' themselves.
I don't like the idea of hidding things from possible new members because if they really knew what was going on they'd never join in the first place. Sounds like a cheap way of making the community grow.

This reminds me of someone who can't fight one on one so they have to run off to get someone to back them up.
The fact that you are comparing this to a fight is pretty dumb. There's a big difference between fighting and discussing.

Now what if someone goes overboard? BAN THE TROUBLESOME. That's always the solution isn't it? People speak their mind, they get banned. This board you're pitching is supposed to be for freedom to discuss members, so why can't they speak their mind?
They can speak their minds, just not in a way that would turn the topic into a flame war.

If you want to talk to someone else about a member, PM someone else or message them on MSN or something, dont make !@#$% hit the fan more.
So you have to speak behind their backs?

I agree that this solution might not be the best; however, it was just an idea. I'm not shoving it down your throats so quit acting like if I was.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 74 queries.

anything