Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playstation Suite  (Read 7874 times)

Re: Playstation Suite
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 10:21:52 pm »
If that's true about no JIT and only a VM, that's a huge bummer. That "crazy executable format" is basically Mono's .NET implementation, which is based off Microsoft's .NET which is considered a standard now, so it's not that crazy.
When I said crazy executable format, I meant its not the .NET format :P. It's hard to explain what I mean without saying stuff I'm not allowed to.

It would've been nice to see some emulators made on this platform, but because it's not JIT'd those are going to have a lot of issues. Might've been able to have a N64 emulator at decent speeds if it was JIT'd and allowed linking C# dynamically, but I doubt the latter is even allowed in any way, shape, or form.
Emulator (/Simulator) for this platform? Isn't there already one for windows to debug games in? There was when I checked a few weeks ago.

I expected this anyway, but it's still a bit of a letdown. Developers programs for consoles are usually quite expensive.
Not really. I mean if you want to do mini's development all you need is a PSP devkit, and those are loaned out now, they aren't even sold. Theoretically you could probably join for $0, need to prove you know what your doing to some extent tho.

You can always do what I've done as well, grab a devkit (my 360 kit only cost like £400) on the blackmarket. Then approach the first party's when you have something worth publishing.
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 10:29:17 pm »
  • Oh.
Emulator (/Simulator) for this platform? Isn't there already one for windows to debug games in? There was when I checked a few weeks ago.

Nah, I mean emulators in the sense of emulators of various consoles that run on the Vita. The main thing that makes emulators so quick nowadays is dynamic recompilation, essentially taking the machine code that the console's looking to run and converting it to a format that's friendlier to the CPU of the machine you're trying to emulate it on during runtime. It's sort of like JIT compilation, actually, with a middleman bytecode language, but instead of bytecode it's machine code for an alien platform.

Can't do that in C#, really, so there's some huge performance gains thrown out the window, not to mention that since it's not JIT'd it'll run !@#$% poor in the first place just from running a VM on top of a VM, where neither is JIT'd.

Not really. I mean if you want to do mini's development all you need is a PSP devkit, and those are loaned out now, they aren't even sold. Theoretically you could probably join for $0, need to prove you know what your doing to some extent tho.

I want to make Vita stuff, though. I was under the impression that the Mini's were ran in the PSP emulator or something that didn't allow you to leverage the full power of the Vita.

The only option is to pretty much use this SDK. I don't think I'll be CPU-bound for my freerunning game, though, much more likely GPU-bound. The only issue is I doubt it'll be running on the Xperia play or the other platforms that it apparently *has* to run on to get to the PSN. Is that true, that it must run on those platforms as well?
Hm.
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 10:34:25 pm »

Nah, I mean emulators in the sense of emulators of various consoles that run on the Vita. The main thing that makes emulators so quick nowadays is dynamic recompilation, essentially taking the machine code that the console's looking to run and converting it to a format that's friendlier to the CPU of the machine you're trying to emulate it on during runtime. It's sort of like JIT compilation, actually, with a middleman bytecode language, but instead of bytecode it's machine code for an alien platform.
(ps. I work in the toolchain team -> we write all the compilers for the consoles :3, just sayin).

I want to make Vita stuff, though. I was under the impression that the Mini's were ran in the PSP emulator or something that didn't allow you to leverage the full power of the Vita.
Yeh they are, they run on all sonys consoles, but inside an emulator running to the specs of a PSP. It's closer than the SDK though, least you have access to C++ and more low-level control.

The only option is to pretty much use this SDK. I don't think I'll be CPU-bound for my freerunning game, though, much more likely GPU-bound. The only issue is I doubt it'll be running on the Xperia play or the other platforms that it apparently *has* to run on to get to the PSN. Is that true, that it must run on those platforms as well?
If the TRC is anything like the minis it will more than likely have to run to the same performance on all supported platforms. The xperia is actually pretty powerful, I wouldn't underestimate it.

That said, not seen any of the TRC stuff for this yet (not sure if its even been written) so can't really say. Can always shoot them an email or post on the forums if you want to know.
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 06:47:39 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
And C++ and C# are not entirely different so it would not take long to port your codebase over.

The two are almost entirely different O_o Sure, they have similar syntax, but the differences between them otherwise are huge.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie

DaSpirit

The Quiet
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2012, 08:28:38 pm »
  • The Mad Programmer.
And C++ and C# are not entirely different so it would not take long to port your codebase over.

The two are almost entirely different O_o Sure, they have similar syntax, but the differences between them otherwise are huge.
Heh, I said this before I used C# much :p There are some big differences, but it's not as big as porting your code to work for Mac if you've already made your program using Win32.
I support:
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 47 queries.