Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: [Submission] Goron Village  (Read 12151 times)

[Submission] Goron Village
« on: October 30, 2015, 09:02:06 pm »
  • It's just Max.
So, idea for Goron Village's layout. I picture it on the side of a canyon, which they have dig out over years of mining. So you'd go through a short tunnel and come outside onto the canyon via the cave at the bottom of the village.

The Gorons have a network of steam tunnels under the village (I think the bottom left building access it and if for maintenance), which powers the machinery in the buildings. That's why there's so many smokestacks with steam coming out of them on the buildings and occasionally, coming out of the ground sort of like thermal vents.

The grey bridge things are minecart tracks, and although no carts are running since mining was shut down, Link can walk across them as bridges. Enemies, particularly rock wasps, live on the far side of the canyon.

Ideas?
Re: [Submission] Goron Village
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 09:43:31 am »
  • Just call me Brad
NICE! But I have an issue with it. Where is the entrance to the village? I mean, the door on the bottom left takes you to the canyon that takes you to the minecarts? Right? I was imagining it to be in four levels, outside there are doors in different levels where you can get a treasure chest. We can add a tall wall on the bottom with he doors in different levels, but overall I like it!
Or is the entrance on one of those caves that you added? that there is a separate map where you go before entering the village itself?

I added an attachment so you can see the entrancs and their levels.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 10:21:24 am »
  • Just call me Brad
I edited the concept a little and I think that I fixed the errors mentioned before. What do you think?
The cave on the west will take you to a cave system with monsters and such before taking you outside to the canyon where the rollercoaster is.
(I made this quickly)

I will start spriting this soon!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 10:24:53 am by Spritonic »
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 04:59:30 pm »
  • It's just Max.
The lack of doors on the bottom wasn't an error, I meant to do it that way. So, I did this design like this because I was imagining the village to be outside of the mountain, on the edge of a canyon. The door on the bottom left, which you circled and wrote "cave system that takes you outside", is right, and that cave system would also be the way to get to the cavern entrances higher on the mountain. It would probably help if I designed and added in that to the map also.

Your edit to this isn't bad, and is actually really clever how you copied and pasted the walls, it looks surprisingly good XD
The thing is though, it adds in very much useless space, there's a ton of empty space at the bottom that has nothing much going on, it'd like to avoid things like that.

Later I'll put together another design that incorporates the tunnels to get to the village and takes into account the higher parts of the mountain.

Also, let's be a bit more specific talking about areas, I'm getting confused. We've got the village, here. There's the mountain, which has the east side, which is where you head up to Goron mountain, and the west side, which has the lava and mine carts. And the top, which you get to from the east side. When we say canyon, there are kind of several canyons so it gets confusing.

Let's hold off on sprinting this until we get the design planned out completely, the are still many other areas to sprite. Hyrule town's remaining interiors, miscellaneous interiors from the field and. Kokori forest and the swamp, etc.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 05:08:04 pm by Donotfeedthemax »
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 06:36:07 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
The lack of doors on the bottom wasn't an error, I meant to do it that way. So, I did this design like this because I was imagining the village to be outside of the mountain, on the edge of a canyon. The door on the bottom left, which you circled and wrote "cave system that takes you outside", is right, and that cave system would also be the way to get to the cavern entrances higher on the mountain. It would probably help if I designed and added in that to the map also.

Your edit to this isn't bad, and is actually really clever how you copied and pasted the walls, it looks surprisingly good XD
The thing is though, it adds in very much useless space, there's a ton of empty space at the bottom that has nothing much going on, it'd like to avoid things like that.

Later I'll put together another design that incorporates the tunnels to get to the village and takes into account the higher parts of the mountain.

Also, let's be a bit more specific talking about areas, I'm getting confused. We've got the village, here. There's the mountain, which has the east side, which is where you head up to Goron mountain, and the west side, which has the lava and mine carts. And the top, which you get to from the east side. When we say canyon, there are kind of several canyons so it gets confusing.

Let's hold off on sprinting this until we get the design planned out completely, the are still many other areas to sprite. Hyrule town's remaining interiors, miscellaneous interiors from the field and. Kokori forest and the swamp, etc.

I imagined it to be inside the mountain, not outside. :P With the canyon inside and stuff.
But the cave system idea where there are higher levels that take you to the other doorways is a good idea. (Since they are Gorons :P)
So if you want to redesign it go ahead, but I like the design we have already. Just design the cave system so we can see how to get there!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 07:42:44 pm »
  • It's just Max.
So, putting this here for now to address the tunnel system thing. However, I might go through this again and do yet another version. But I think figuring out the kokori forest and dungeon, and Lake Hylia and the Zora areas, are all a higher priority? So I don't want to say this design is final quite yet, but it could work I think. Just, it could also be better I think.

Anyway, super busy gotta run. There are likely to be questions about the arrows and the puzzles in the tunnels, so ask about anything confusing :D
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 07:53:16 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
Looks good to me :)
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 07:58:07 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
But I think figuring out the kokori forest and dungeon, and Lake Hylia and the Zora areas, are all a higher priority?

You're correct :) Ash and I are working on getting Trello going so we can get the priority list up

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 04:10:04 am »
  • It's just Max.
So Goron village is dragging its feet a little in coming together, I'm having a hard time finding a great way to work in the quest where you have to do maintenance on the wrestling arena. Some of that might need to be rethought a little for this to work. I'm starting to think it might be a good idea to have two maps, one the surface, one the bottom of the gorge, which is where the supports for the arena would be- the bottom area would be mostly dedicated to the quest of fixing the arena.

So I was hoping to get this knocked out of the way today, but I'm running out of energy and creativity for the day. So anyway, I figured I'd share some of the concepts I've been working on, perhaps get some feedback on what seems to be working better. I'm more partial to the two more detailed, uncolored ones, but they've got some problems and I think I need to come at this from a fresh perspective.

It'd be stellar if anyone else has ideas about how to work Goron Village best in our 2D game, addressing the requirements set forth by the plot.

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 02:39:58 pm »
I'm gonna look these over during lunch today, I'll see if anything seems odd wrt the story

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2015, 12:54:59 am »
So I definitely agree there's too much empty space.  I would say for that, we can scale the map down a bit.  I don't think this has to be a very large map.  If we're trying to create a dense population, we can achieve that by having the map span 2 or 3 layers.  That would also benefit us for the climbing aspect.  We can force the player to have to go to a lower level on the map to climb to the supports for the arena.  We can explain the inconvenience by saying that there use to be simple walkways to the supports, but the gorons just stopped maintaining them.  This presents a good opportunity for the player to use their thief skills for climbing, vaulting and tight roping.

And we don't have to suspend the the arena with chains either!  I see in one of your concepts, it's held by beams.  I can see either of these working.  The chains probably lend better to making the map smaller since we'll have reason to have a giant chunk of nothing in the middle of the map.

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2015, 01:48:15 pm »
Any thoughts on this?

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2015, 06:06:23 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Haha, yeah, it's at the very top of my to-do list, I've just been a bit busy for diving back into it the past couple weeks. I'll get out a couple more drafts soon!

Also, is there a reasons we've got Goron village prioritized over lake Hylia and Zora's domain?
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 06:21:22 pm »
Not really, only because we started this one first

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 06:22:56 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
I think we should work on lake hylia and zora´s domain first since they come before this.
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2015, 06:25:28 pm »
Sure, we can up their priority.  I'll make the updates to the task list

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2015, 06:26:45 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
Sure, we can up their priority.  I'll make the updates to the task list
We also should work on the cave systems on hyrule field too.

EDIT: THIS IS MY 1000 POST!!! YAAAAAY!!!!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 06:31:57 pm by Spritonic »
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2015, 06:29:52 pm »
I'll add the cave systems to the list, but I'll keep them at low priority for now.

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2016, 11:25:18 pm »
  • It's just Max.
So, just to keep updated- I've still been fussing with the village design about once a week. It's been fighting me, looks like the only way to get this to how I'm picturing it is a ride on the struggle bus.

Weirdly, my computer has abruptly died at 20-30 three or four times Ive been working on this. Curse? Probably.

Anyway, it's still (slowly) chugging along. I'd really welcome others' creative input on designing this, I'm probably at least calf-deep in a rut of my own ideas and I think somebody else collabing on this one could really help.
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2016, 04:16:51 am »
Yea, definitely.  Do you have anything you can post from your recent reworks we can look at?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 78 queries.

anything