Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Editing Topics  (Read 3110 times)

Editing Topics
« on: September 28, 2008, 04:59:38 am »
While I am for people making correct grammatical statements, I am not for when others go into your topics and edit them for you - especially when you are an editor the written publication and you were quoting something accurately (going back to what was quoted and editing that doesn't really give you the right to edit the quote either). 

If you have a problem with your name being spelled wrong, then blame the person who originally spelled it wrong and just deal with it - it's not like I would go into someone else's topic just to edit my name to be correct if I could (even if the error was just spelling it "4sword").

Edit Test2

Edit: Test3

Test 4
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 05:49:59 am by Vash »

Bludleef

Forum Dragon
Re: Editing Topics
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 05:06:11 am »
  • Everybody's Gotta Eat.
While I am for people making correct grammatical statements, I am not for when others go into your topics and edit them for you - especially when you are an editor the written publication and you were quoting something accurately (going back to what was quoted and editing that doesn't really give you the right to edit the quote either). 

If you have a problem with your name being spelled wrong, then blame the person who originally spelled it wrong and just deal with it - it's not like I would go into someone else's topic just to edit my name to be correct if I could (even if the error was just spelling it "4sword").

I see no harm in this as it is just a correction in spelling that something like the spell checker cannot catch.  It does not lessen the integrity of the post or change the posts meaning.  Now if you go and edit the message to say something completely different I could understand it being a problem.  If it really bothers you though put it back though.

SOME LINKS
 -> Bludsoft Productions
  • Bludsoft
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 05:08:24 am »
Well if you are for the integrity of what was said, then why only change your name?  If you operate under a banter of correctness, be totally correct, not just self-correcting.  And yes, you did change some of the meaning.  Part of the humor was that Infini spelt or did not capitalize parts of the names wrong except for Darklight in that one topic which is why I left it the way it was, for that humor.

Bludleef

Forum Dragon
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 05:14:02 am »
  • Everybody's Gotta Eat.
Well if you are for the integrity of what was said, then why only change your name?  If you operate under a banter of correctness, be totally correct, not just self-correcting.  And yes, you did change some of the meaning.  Part of the humor was that Infini spelt or did not capitalize parts of the names wrong except for Darklight in that one topic which is why I left it the way it was, for that humor.

I see well the only reason I edited my name was because I noticed that the other names had been fixed  for example Walnut10000 was back to Walnut100 so I figured why not make all the names correct, but as I said before if it really bothers you just put it back, because I really couldn't care less.

SOME LINKS
 -> Bludsoft Productions
  • Bludsoft

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 05:16:53 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
... Couldn't this have just been reported or sent via PM questioning it? :P It seems like a silly thing to put in feedback... :\
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 05:20:25 am »
I don't save errors, and I thought it was "walnut100" and "DJVenom" should have "DJvenom".  So however was being corrective surely didn't get it all right.  But whatever, next time you have an issue with something that I have some jurisdiction over for the site, please tell me or Zidane unless it is a fully gratuitous error that should be corrected as soon as possible due to whatever unforeseeable harm it could cause.

Oh, and I also put this in Feedback because I thought it was relevant to know if the "Edited by" line at the bottom of edit posts was gone.  That seems like a change in a forum setting to me.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2008, 05:28:10 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I don't save errors, and I thought it was "walnut100" and "DJVenom" should have "DJvenom".  So however was being corrective surely didn't get it all right.  But whatever, next time you have an issue with something that I have some jurisdiction over for the site, please tell me or Zidane unless it is a fully gratuitous error that should be corrected as soon as possible due to whatever unforeseeable harm it could cause.

Oh, and I also put this in Feedback because I thought it was relevant to know if the "Edited by" line at the bottom of edit posts was gone.  That seems like a change in a forum setting to me.

Or it was edited within like 2 minutes of posting (as it doesn't appear if you edit right afterwards either); I doubt forum settings were changed.
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 05:29:43 am »
No, the forum settings were changed.  Look at my first post, I edited it and no indication of such is shown.
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 05:33:32 am »
  • Super Hero Time!
The 'Edited By' line seems to appear randomly.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 05:35:13 am »
Shouldn't this perhaps be sent to a moderator via pm or an administrator, seeing as it is not a forum-issue, but a staff issue, in relation to staff permissions and their abilities to edit topics they make? I'd strongly suggest appealing this issue to Helios and awaiting a reply from him.. since really he's the only one that can take care of your request.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100

Bludleef

Forum Dragon
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 05:36:44 am »
  • Everybody's Gotta Eat.
No, the forum settings were changed.  Look at my first post, I edited it and no indication of such is shown.

Yes I have noticed this awhile back I thought it was just part of the changes when I came back.. I wonder if the settings were changed or if it is a bug. I guess it would be best to ask Infini.

The 'Edited By' line seems to appear randomly.

Sounds definitely like a bug

Shouldn't this perhaps be sent to a moderator via pm or an administrator, seeing as it is not a forum-issue, but a staff issue, in relation to staff permissions and their abilities to edit topics they make? I'd strongly suggest appealing this issue to Helios and awaiting a reply from him.. since really he's the only one that can take care of your request.

This is true.

SOME LINKS
 -> Bludsoft Productions
  • Bludsoft
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 05:38:05 am »
  • Super Hero Time!
So what exactly was edited and who edited it?

testicles
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 05:53:12 am by Zidane »
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2008, 05:39:58 am »
It's probably a feature because at one point in our past it was the same way as it is now.

Well the "issue" is both, but as I was telling Bludleef privately, I only really noticed the edits taking place when he was editing three related topics related to the same edit.  It also caught me off guard when an issue of the Weekly that both Zidane and I were working on had an edit in it, which I think Zidane made, which developed the topic more - nothing was really wrong with it, it just took me a while to notice that something was changed.

Test
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 05:49:02 am by Vash »
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 05:50:32 am »
Yeah, looks like a bug, or something isn't displaying properly, when you edit the first post in a topic. I noticed that a while ago.. very weird.

test
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2008, 05:53:29 am »
  • Super Hero Time!
It seems to only be when you use the quick modify button or usually when you use it.
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2008, 05:56:09 am »
No really, it's not a bug, it's a feature - believe me, I know, over a year ago I edited someone's post and it did not show that then but it now shows now.  The post still has its record of being edited (like if I were going to go into my post, below the preview box it would say that it was last edited on a certain date and time).  

Seriously:
Admin -> Current Theme -> Check or uncheck the box next to "Show last modification date on modified posts"
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2008, 06:04:29 am »
Hmm, I was just looking for that.

The only thing I can think of is, that helios removed displaying edits all together in the theme.

That option is checked, by the way.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2008, 06:06:44 am »
Meh, well I don't know everything.  There is the chance he bumped something when he was editing the theme to try to get it to work with the site better; that's the only real change I can think of that he did recently.
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2008, 12:34:32 pm »
EDIT: Fixed.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2008, 01:04:28 pm by Infini »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 75 queries.

anything