Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: About the zfgc homepage...  (Read 3572 times)

-Link-

About the zfgc homepage...
« on: September 28, 2006, 09:38:19 pm »
All this time, zfgc was like critizing (?) dsr and stuff for having a homepage, so why are they getting one? Dont mean to start anything, but I was just wondering.... :-[

See I dont know if your copying IGC or not, because of how well we are doing latley.....thats what a few of us over there think..(Halu, Me,Drew,etc) but if you are, say why? Because I remember some of you bad mouthing us at the begginning..
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 09:42:21 pm by -Link- »

gm112

Re: About the zfgc homepage...
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 09:42:58 pm »
This isn't DSR, we're just a fan-game forum. I don't really see a point in a homepage other than displaying news and projects.

Edit: Not to be a rent-a-mod but this should be posted in forum feedback.

Pyru

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 10:04:16 pm »
Edit: Not to be a rent-a-mod but this should be posted in forum feedback.

True 'nough. Moved.

Not sure if reports are working right now, but in future, it'd be helpful if you used that instead. Thanks.

On topic... don't get me started about the site thing. I really don't like the idea... it seems like GA all over again, and that didn't exactly work, did it?

Dayjo

shut the fuck up donny.
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 10:34:53 pm »
  • hungry..
Meh, I dont think a lot of people understood the whole GA / Project-X thing and exactly what happened (though it's not neccesery to know). This development is that... only a development it's not a complete change the forum will be here just as it is now, but better, and we'll have other stuff aswell!
  • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 10:59:06 pm »
I think that the main problem people had with the DSR webpage was that the layout was unfavorable to the eye; people, however, could look past that and appreciate the function of the webpage itself.  Also, you kind of had to be with DSR from the beginning to appreciate its homepage.  The merge created an unfamiliarity with new members. 

The idea of a site was always been apart of what ZFGC needs and what it has strived to attain.  We also at one time had that sprite archive thing, and having something like that again would help out.  As ZFGC gets bigger though, it also needs to be organized, and a website is the best way to do that.  Confining ourself to a forum is just not smart.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2006, 11:00:49 pm by 4Sword »
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 11:21:06 pm »
  • [sic]
I think a site is a great idea, after all, ZFG is Zelda Fan Game Central, not Zelda Fan Game Community. It'd allow for easy access to tools and resources for Game Makers, better ways of organizing discussions, and whatever else is slapped up on there. Those who don't like the page can always just bookmark the forum URL instead.
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 01:43:59 am »
GA is an entirely different concept. We wont be changing ZFGC directly, in terms of the forum. If the 'site' project we're planning fails, it will have no affect on ZFGC (the forum itself) anyway.

As of now the homepage (when i get around to it) will redirect to the forums. I just havn't had the time to fix it yet. I appologize.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 02:04:14 am »
GA is an entirely different concept. We wont be changing ZFGC directly, in terms of the forum. If the 'site' project we're planning fails, it will have no affect on ZFGC (the forum itself) anyway.

As of now the homepage (when i get around to it) will redirect to the forums. I just haven't had the time to fix it yet. I appologize.
I was just about to write something like that. I don't think people should be concerned and relate this change to the GA experience, because its much different. It's not like we would be changing what zfgc is, just upgrading it into what it was always meant to be. It is still zfgc, and still has the same purpose, only now it will have an extra helpfull bonus, which is the structure of a homepage. The homepage design and plans for GA was entirely different to my understanding because we were trying to be a general gaming site with reviews, and etc. that covers all gaming like some of the other sites out there (ign, gamespot, etc.) But to my understanding, that is not what we are doing here. We are merely going have a base for this community, that makes it "Zelda fan game central" with a whole bunch of resources for game making (music, tutorials, graphics, etc.) fangames (made here), news, and so forth (regarding the zfgc community and our zelda fan games)

See I don't know if your copying IGC or not, because of how well we are doing lately.....thats what a few of us over there think..(Halu, Me,Drew,etc) but if you are, say why? Because I remember some of you bad mouthing us at the begginning..
It sounds like you are under the impression we are going for a site similar to IGN or something now, like we attempted with GA because the community is strong right now and not in turmoil (like it has been for the last while). But Andrew just summed up what I was going to say about that. And that is, its not the same concept. We are not doing anything like what we were doing with project x. On top of that. zfgc has had a little homepage more then once in the past, there was never any real content on it, other then news, but it was there. Now they are just taking the concept to the next step, and giving a purpose for a front page like that to our community. It's going to be helpfull. So in regard to some other people who have reservations about it (not your post) I think people shouldn't worry so much, because its not like we are goign through a huge overhaul.
We may be human. But we're still animals.
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 02:22:56 am »
It was a *BAD* Idea to make a 'fan' game community into a 'gaming community'. You cannot change something like that and I 100% regret ever being part of attempting to take that away from you guys. It was a mistake by all means, ZFGC would have been better off shut down, than being forced into something else. ZFGC will stay ZFGC, you can have my word on that. (That is in the context of Zelda Fan Game Central).

At the moment the site team is mainly throwing around ideas, we have no centralized plan yet.. like I said before if we did happen to fail with creating it, or we decided to go against creating it at all, there would be no effect on ZFGC at all, with the exception of some disappointment.

I'll try to get around to having index.php redirect to the forum directory sometime soon. I need to look up some code on it, and see how I want it to work.

Also, thank you for the backup skully. =) You better a bit better at explaining than I.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 03:22:50 am »
  • [sic]

As of now the homepage (when i get around to it) will redirect to the forums. I just havn't had the time to fix it yet. I appologize.
Will your redirect script retain variables affected? That'd be an effective way to fix all the broken links.
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 04:59:10 am »
What.. broken links? I've yet to find any, yet people keep talking about them.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2006, 12:35:54 pm »
What.. broken links? I've yet to find any, yet people keep talking about them.

Make ZFGC.com link the forum like before. Otherwise it casues broken links.
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2006, 02:11:34 pm »
  • [sic]
Yes. Every single link in the forum that wasn't created after the downtime and directory change links to http://www.zfgc.com/index.php/toic,numbers,0.html rather than http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=numbers,0 . The system still works both ways though, it's just that it's harder now to redirect. I mean, you could always do something like redirecting to the forum's index, but I'd bet it'd be harder to retain the variables. You'd probably have to refer to the source to figure that one out. Well, I would, but doubtless you're far better at PHP than me.
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2006, 04:52:10 pm »
I.. don't even see broken links on the forum. I havn't run into any at all :\

*please* show me I'm at a loss. Maybe its a theme issue?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2006, 04:54:36 pm by Andrew »
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2006, 04:54:42 pm »
  • [sic]
Here is a very good example. It's an extremely useful topic, but unless I skipped something, every link is incorrect/broken. Also, most links in people's signatures are broken, although they seem to be fixing it slowly. Definitely not a theme issue though. It's an obvious URL error.
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2006, 04:59:25 pm »
That.. really isn't an issue on my end of things, thats an issue that should be fixed on on whom ever posted the topic. Signatures are controlled by the people who have their own signatures, a large majority of the avatars were lost as well (because people uploaded them, and we lost them). Thats something the users need to control more so than I or any other admin. I'll look into resource posts like the one you showed me, but I really don't think thats much of my responsibility, though it would only take a few seconds to fix. At the moment I don't have time to fix it, I'll look into resource posts like that when I get home, signatures, things like that, is up to you guys. We're in the /forum directory, and we're not leaving it.
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2006, 05:05:31 pm »
  • [sic]
Well, it's definitely a problem, and it'll take a long time for members (and mods) to fix everything up. If a "homepage" is being planned, then at least for the time being there should be some type of redirect script for the index.
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2006, 05:05:43 pm »
  • Minalien
Yeah, fixing the index.php to redirect those links would accomplish nothing, particularly if the website idea happens and succeeds, because then the links would simply be broken again. Better to fix the problem now than later.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2006, 05:08:59 pm »
  • [sic]
Yeah, fixing the index.php to redirect those links would accomplish nothing, particularly if the website idea happens and succeeds, because then the links would simply be broken again. Better to fix the problem now than later.
That's completely untrue. If a link recognition script was made, then you could implement it int he final page too, so that if someone linked to index/php with forum variables, it would go to the correct topic rather than showing the front page. If it can be done at this point, it can easily be kept later.6n
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2006, 05:11:39 pm »
Fixed the resource page for you. Put everything into note pad, had it replace all of the http://zfgc.com/ links with http://zfgc.com/forum/

Not so overly complicated, feel free to compile a list of links for me, I'll fix them when I can. At the moment I need to get dressed for an oh so pointless day in school (30min periods why even go?) When I get home I'll start in on fixing some of these pages. As I said, signatures are up to the user, are with any avatar images and things like this. Quite frankly some files were just lost in the process, its something we need to deal with and get past. I *do* not like to modify users accounts when I don't have to, which is why I want to leave that up to you guys. Its not due to lazyiness its due to an invasion of something that is yours to touch, and have fun with.

I appoloigize some links are broken, but at first I was confused assuming it was SMF related links.

(excuse any spelling mistakes, I'm in a bit of a hurry).
~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 77 queries.