Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 guitars layered (all me) playing Carol of the Bells  (Read 7575 times)

3 guitars layered (all me) playing Carol of the ...
« on: December 01, 2012, 10:45:45 pm »

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
Re: 3 guitars layered (all me) playing Carol of ...
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 10:57:09 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
So beautifulllll. You should make a longer version!
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 11:08:06 pm »
I will be jamming this out with 2 other guitarists on Dec 14 at my highschool for the Christmas choir concert. After we finish doing it instrumental the rest of the choir will perform it acca pella. Clearly I couldn't wait so I played it myself :P

Glad you liked it!
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 11:24:17 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Dude, you really should upgrade your mic or something. I really enjoyed the music, but your background noise is insanely high, even if it is just a demo of sorts. The no expense route is to use Audacity's noise canceling, which is surprisingly super effective, just like Pokemon. But you've got enough talent that it certainly wouldn't be a waste of money to get something like the Rode NT1-A (my personal preference). But you'd need an audio interface to connect it to your PC/laptop. The other route is to go for a USB mic, but those usually have high latency for monitoring, which sucks if you want to record another track over top of another because you will hear your guitar play about a second or two after it was actually played, making it practically impossible to record layers. But that's generally how it goes if you don't have an AI.
  • My Music
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 11:34:32 pm »
Oh I know... I hate recording like this but it's all I've got for now. I was planning on getting a USB mic... but maybe not after you mentioned the problems with layering. So what's my best cheap option for an audio interface

edit; just tried the noise removal in audacity... it sounded all warbly and shitty no matter how much "less" noise I removed...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 11:41:20 pm by Moldrill »
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 12:34:08 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Oh I know... I hate recording like this but it's all I've got for now. I was planning on getting a USB mic... but maybe not after you mentioned the problems with layering. So what's my best cheap option for an audio interface

Besides my Rode NT1-A (XLR connection), I also have an MXL 990 USB mic, and it works just fine, except there is no way to turn off monitoring with it. That is really the only problem with it. It would be just fine if I could use a pair of earphones to hear the previously recorded layers and just use the guitar itself as a monitor, but the problem comes about because you end up hearing both the guitar naturally as well as through your earphones, and the guitar that comes through the earphones gives a very off-putting echo feel that just messes up everything. It records on timing very well, as far as I can tell. But, yes, and Audio Interface is important because it will bypass the soundcard, and an AI will have it's own clock source so that everything will be in time perfectly.

My knowledge and experience on audio interfaces:
I've only owned 2 AI's so far. A PreSonus FireStudio Mobile, which was $300, and a Tascam US-800. The PreSonus is more expensive than you would need to go for, and it's firewire. My experience with firewire in Windows 7 or Vista has proven a bit unstable (i.e. turning the AI power off sometimes results in a BSOD, or the audio will stop working until you close all apps that access the AI). I have found that USB tends to be a much more stable connection, BUT, you really want to check latency and quality when looking to buy an AI, because USB devices tend to have too high of latency and/or they don't go beyond CD quality (which is still good, but it's just not good enough imo).

My Tascam US-800 was $100 when I got it, but now it seems to be far more for some reason. Anyway, it was built out of cheap plastic, but the XLR connections were the same quality as my PreSonus (EDIT: I meant to say the PREAMPS in them are good, which is IMPORTANT STUFF), which is good. Unfortunately, it just quit working one day and it was just after the manufacturer warranty. ;_; However, my friend has had his - same exact model - for about 2 years now and it has served him well. Either I was just unlucky, or my friend was really lucky to get a good one.

My conclusions based off of mine and a friends experience, plus a ton of research (though dated a couple years now):
Tascams lower end seems to be cheaper than most while keeping quality in the audio components, but they seem to skimp out on some parts. I consider them to bit a bit risky. PreSonus is solid, with good audio quality in both sound and components, but you will probably pay more than you would like and it does seem hit or miss on if they will sync properly with your computer, but they usually play well with Macs, from what I hear. M-Audio is a leader in audio interfaces and other audio equipment, so they are worth looking into. Also, the same friend that got that US-800 also got 2 different M-Audio audio interfaces, both USB, and they both work great with no problems (except one of them can only be used with his DAW and it will not play audio from other applications like games or itunes, so that's a downside).

Here is a good link that will give you all the info you need to decide what you want in an AI:
http://tweakheadz.com/audio_interfaces_1.htm

edit; just tried the noise removal in audacity... it sounded all warbly and shitty no matter how much "less" noise I removed...

You can first try to lower the dB of the noise (i.e. the part you use as the sample with which it reduces the overall noise), otherwise it will end up trying to take out a lot of overlapping frequencies and you end up getting nasty distortion effects like that. Sure, it will have less of an effect; it isn't magical or anything, but you can find a sweet spot that usually keeps the audio in tact quite well while reducing a good amount of the noise. That said, it really is a lot of background noise, so it's still going to be noticeable no matter what, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 12:40:19 am by Frozenç‚Ž »
  • My Music
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 12:52:55 am »
Thanks for all the info. Yes, it is a sad amount of background noise... I think once it gets going for a bit it's less noticeable. Maybe I've just gotten used to it because everything I've recorded for the past year is with this shitty set-up.

BuffaloBurgers

U B DA WAT!?
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 04:50:19 am »
You played really well but I was disappointed it wasn't this version

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUId5f1-KbE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUId5f1-KbE</a>

EEE HUNG HUNG HA HA

COLORADO 27 - OKLAHOMA 24
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 54 queries.

anything