Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Poll

How would you rate this entry overall?

- 1 (6.3%)
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)
- 5 (31.3%)
- 2 (12.5%)
- 4 (25%)
- 3 (18.8%)
- 1 (6.3%)
- 0 (0%)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: August 08, 2008, 02:06:10 am

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CONTEST #6 Submission : Adventure of Link ~ Kylink (OldSchool)  (Read 1497 times)

CONTEST #6 Submission : Adventure of Link ~ Ky...
« on: August 01, 2008, 02:06:10 am »
ADVENTURE OF LINK  ~  Kylink

Um...not much information given.

Arrow keys to move
Z to slash sword
Up to jump
Enter to start

I enjoyed what there was of this demo.  If more effort had been put into it, it may have had more gameplay ( ie level up system, health, etc.).

Screenshots I monotonously Print scr then pasted -.-

Download link: http://www.coders-tavern.com/Andrew/scre3enies/Adventureoflinkbad.exe

Made with Game Maker
  • Super Fan Gamers!
Re: CONTEST #6 Submission : Adventure of Link ~...
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 02:17:02 am »
  • Minalien
You could have done a lot better. More confidence, and implementing more systems from the original, as well as removing some of the bugs that were encountered (Such as, when leaving a battle, starting over from the beginning area, and the monsters randomly appearing and disappearing before combat) could have done you a lot of good.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 03:51:50 pm »
  • The devil in the mirror.
Ok, this one was quite annoying. At the start, it seemed to work good, but once I got out to the map:
-The moving is too weird, trying to press two direction keys at the same time, or quickly moving from one direction to another, either made link teleport, or just stand still. Moving in one direction worked just fine.
-The monsters seemed to always appear at the same place around link EVERY time. one up, one to the right, and one to the left. It was almost impossible to not hit one of them.
-The battle itself seemed ok, if it wasn't for the monster running of screen almost every time.
-Why, oh WHY do I have to start back at the same place after every battle? Not to mention the everlasting loop of the music.

I'll call this an "ok" try, but I think it could have been better. I give it 5.5(ok, a 6)

Good luck :)
Working on my Masters Degree in Computer Science.
Hey look, Zelda Coop....later.
Proud user of C++ for 9 years, and counting!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 01:54:31 am »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.
Ok, this one was quite annoying. At the start, it seemed to work good, but once I got out to the map:
-The moving is too weird, trying to press two direction keys at the same time, or quickly moving from one direction to another, either made link teleport, or just stand still. Moving in one direction worked just fine.
-The monsters seemed to always appear at the same place around link EVERY time. one up, one to the right, and one to the left. It was almost impossible to not hit one of them.
-The battle itself seemed ok, if it wasn't for the monster running of screen almost every time.
-Why, oh WHY do I have to start back at the same place after every battle? Not to mention the everlasting loop of the music.

I'll call this an "ok" try, but I think it could have been better. I give it 5.5(ok, a 6)

Good luck :)
No, that's fine. I would have added the different variations to the monsters appearing, but I ran out of time. I couldn't find the original NES music, plus the music was muted for most of my development, so that took a back seat.

You could have done a lot better. More confidence, and implementing more systems from the original, as well as removing some of the bugs that were encountered (Such as, when leaving a battle, starting over from the beginning area, and the monsters randomly appearing and disappearing before combat) could have done you a lot of good.
Eh, yeah I agree. Confidence is good, and I did put work into this, but I seem to say my work is crap when I'm not completely sure of it. I have done good games before...this just isn't a very good example of it. Thanks for the criticism Min.

I would say, that at the beginning, I was doing good with the map walking controls, until I started to implement multiple directions. I made it so you could walk just one 16x16 tile if you press the button, but keep walking fluidly if you held it. I couldn't figure out the stats (health, magic, exp) and the movement seemed to screw up, the more I messed with it.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 02:26:22 am by Kylink »
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 02:27:52 am »
I say it's okay. It may be fluid but still, somewhat slow...
I'll give it a 6.
Thank you for entering.
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 03:55:15 pm »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.
I say it's okay. It may be fluid but still, somewhat slow...
I'll give it a 6.
Thank you for entering.
Well, you are welcome. What a nice young man.
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 51 queries.