Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for Zelda 2 DX  (Read 3983 times)

Suggestions for Zelda 2 DX
« on: February 15, 2014, 10:38:32 pm »
Hello there!

I'm going to be creating a Zelda fan game; more accurately, a remake of Zelda 2 similar to how Wind Waker was updated for the Wii U. Zelda 2 gets a lot of complaints from people for several reasons; difficulty is a major one. I would like to update Zelda 2 to change it in some ways to make it more accessible. I want it to be similar enough that you can still follow the Zelda Dungeon walkthrough (or any walkthrough) but different enough that it feels like a more modern Zelda experience.

Some of the considerations I've had are getting rid of the lives system, toning down the difficulty, making Death Mountain less tedious, etc. Some ways I want to make it more like modern Zeldas are by possibly getting rid of the skill level system, adding cutscenes or cinematic intros to towns, dungeons, boss fights, etc. I've considered even adding a sidequest where Epona is obtainable. Another idea I'm fond of is making the river monster a boss fight.

I'm going to be handling the programming (it will be in C++ with SFML), and I'll seek music and a spriter (to make the graphics 16-bit) later on in the project. For now, I need suggestions on what else you guys would like to see updated. I don't intend to make this the definitive version of Zelda 2, just an alternate version that's more modernized. It's more of a re-imagining of the gameplay elements rather than me attempting to "fix" the game, since it isn't broken. That considered, what would you like to see done a different way in Zelda 2? Things I won't be considering are: changing the sidescrolling perspective, changing layouts for any of the dungeons, changing the bosses, anything that would make a Zelda 2 walkthrough incompatible.

I appreciate any and all ideas or suggestions you guys have for me! Thanks :)
AKA HylianDev and Super Goombario
Re: Suggestions for Zelda 2 DX
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 05:18:27 pm »
what got me mad is in the overworld there wasnt any playing at all, just walking to random squares. Also towns werent towns, they were a few houses with random people. My suggestion is to try to overhaul a lot of ideas into just better ones, because alot of these ideas they had originally were pretty bad if you make a game with it now.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 06:19:30 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
I totally agree with Whitay. Basically, the overworld wasn't interesting and towns had practically zero depth as well, which isn't a surprise for a NES title, having limited resources. Adding some real content to these areas would help a lot. It would be interesting to see the overworld converted into the normal style for 2D Zelda games, where you don't have a zoomed out version. That said, it would be a pretty big amount of work if you wanted to do it right.

I personally like Zelda 2 because of its difficulty, and many games today are just too easy. I think a lot of people might say they like easy games, but in many cases, I expect it's only because they didn't give harder ones a real chance. When a game is too easy, it's just not very rewarding/fun to play it. There are ways to design a game to be fair while making it challenging at the same time. Just be careful. If it gets too easy, the game becomes far less satisfying to many players. If it's too hard and unfair, players will just get frustrated. The key is to make it challenging, but use hints intelligently (the best hints are the hints that make the player think they figured something out on their own) and save points of some kind to give players a chance to learn how to overcome difficult areas, to learn enemy patterns, etc.
  • My Music

YAC

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 05:11:16 pm »
I'm a 3D modeler (zbrush and 3dsmax) and i'm an computerscience student, making a remake of Windwaker it's very exciting and you seems serious. 
email me :lacharitesurloire@gmail.com
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 06:02:05 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
You know this is almost a year old right?

i love big weenies and i cannot lie

YAC

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 09:02:47 pm »
Sorry, i randomdly find this thead, i have no idea if it was old.
There is remake project alive here? (sorry for my english i'm a froggie ^^ )

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 12:15:14 am »
  • www.mouffers.com
Sorry, i randomdly find this thead, i have no idea if it was old.
There is remake project alive here? (sorry for my english i'm a froggie ^^ )

Ton anglais n'est pas trop pire ;)
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 51 queries.

anything