Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Great Deku Tree Work In Progress  (Read 7134 times)

Great Deku Tree Work In Progress
« on: May 03, 2010, 02:50:29 am »
I Just started work again on my Great Deku Tree and Id like some comments/crits before I continue working on it some more.

Mock up:

Im fairly happy with it so far but im not too keen on the face. The canopy is a slight edit of Master Yoshis Great Deku Tree Canopy and I tiled it pretty badly! its just a place holder for now, until later on. The whole thing still needs some touching up but its mainly the face that I need help or suggestions on.

Also, which one do you guys think looks the best out of these?

1]

2]

3]

4]

??? In case youre thinking the canopy looks too long, dont worry. in the game the player wont be able to see most of it.
And please note that the shadows on the main trunk and back roots are done to compliment the lowest canopy(picture 4) The first 3 pictures have the wrong shadows.
Here it is split into sections:

Old & new:

How do I make a GIF and post here? I created a GIF using GameMaker and uploaded it to
imageshack but its only displaying the first image.

EDIT: Ive just thought of something that shouuuld make this look a LOT better! I'll upload the results once ive done it. Hopefully the face may end up looking better too!
Update tomorrow.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 04:00:07 am by Skeme KOS »
Re: Great Deku Tree Work In Progress
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 06:05:51 am »
Wow, I'm really impressed!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 07:20:08 am »
Either 3 or 4, the lower down canopy will certainly look better.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.

Darklink45

aka Faded Led
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 07:54:09 am »
Wow the design looks much better now, the other one had it's squareness fell, that i didn't like.
This one looks much nicer.
Personal site: Faded Led
People die when they are killed.
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 08:48:47 am »
Either 3 or 4, the lower down canopy will certainly look better.
I agree with this. In addition, the lower canopy also obscures the repeating pattern of the tree trunk. If you show more of the trunk it would do good when you brought in some more variation in the details, to make it look more natural. This is not really necessary with 3 and 4 because the face already gives some variation.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 04:30:29 pm »
I'm pretty fond of two, but the outer part of the trunk could use improving. Needs to look more rounded, though I am unsure exactly how to explain how..
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 06:07:38 pm »
I'm pretty fond of two, but the outer part of the trunk could use improving. Needs to look more rounded, though I am unsure exactly how to explain how..

Do you mean kinda like this:

Or is it something else?
Its just a rough edit atm to see if that was what you were referring to.
I havent put the shadow under the canopy yet, However I have removed the shadow that was meant for the lowest canopy(picture 4) so hopefully this makes it look more rounded.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 06:16:04 pm by Skeme KOS »
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 08:06:16 pm »
in the screen its too dark so use a lighter color set and it looks great so good job.
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 08:24:12 pm »

Or is it something else?
I havent put the shadow under the canopy yet, However I have removed the shadow that was meant for the lowest canopy(picture 4) so hopefully this makes it look more rounded.
The color set is good, but with the shading and the pattern on the trunk, it looks as if the trunk is octoganal instead of round. Like I said, vary more with the pattern to make it look more natural. At the moment the trunk looks like a wooden shed. It is too symmetrical and too patterned.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 08:57:38 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Made some non-drastic edits to show a bit more depth to the tree-

Basically made some minor modifications to the trunk, and modified the shading under the canopy as well as around the body.
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 12:51:15 am »

Or is it something else?
The color set is good, but with the shading and the pattern on the trunk, it looks as if the trunk is octoganal instead of round. Like I said, vary more with the pattern to make it look more natural. At the moment the trunk looks like a wooden shed. It is too symmetrical and too patterned.

yeah, thanks Niek, I'll definitely do that. And thanks Mamoru, that certainly makes it look more rounded.
I'll update soon with the results for more crits. Anything you guys would suggest for the face? Do you think the angle is too full on or should I give it more of a kind of top-down look?
Also, the features are a bit meh atm. Any suggestions there?
Thanks a lot for all your help so far.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 01:25:09 am by Skeme KOS »

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 12:51:43 am »
  • Xiphirx
Yes, the texture feels too artificial now. Look at real wood for help, or other wood in LTTP ( I don't think there is much too look for in LTTP D:)
  • For The Swarm
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 01:09:36 am »
  • Young Link IN 3D!
Yes, the texture feels too artificial now. Look at real wood for help, or other wood in LTTP ( I don't think there is much too look for in LTTP D:)
I think it matches the LTTP style based on the wooden logs in LTTP.
working on sprites for my Zelda 1 remake, come see them at
http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=38427.0.
My first audio resource is up, http://www.zfgc.com/index.php#?action=resources&sa=view&id=231 , come see it.

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 01:26:14 am »
  • Xiphirx

Well yes, but what I am getting at is that the area is much larger, so seeing a repeated pattern more makes you feel like it isn't wood. That area is small, so it is quite negligible.
  • For The Swarm
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 01:31:29 am »

Yep, thats the base for the pattern. Hopefully, Nieks suggestion of varying the pattern will make it look more rounded...and if all else fails, as Niek also said, I could just use the lower canopy to hide the repeating pattern and flattness.
I dont like taking the easy way out, but sometimes thats the best way. Ive just gotta try these other things out first. Trial and error.
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 01:32:11 am »

Well yes, but what I am getting at is that the area is much larger, so seeing a repeated pattern more makes you feel like it isn't wood. That area is small, so it is quite negligible.

yeah, i agree with that.

How about Something like the cliffs?

3-4 repeating tiles instead of 1.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 01:44:44 am by Skeme KOS »
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 02:31:55 am »
  • Young Link IN 3D!
So for the repeated pattern why not use the LTTP log and FSA together so pattern won't repeat and look more treeish if thats even possible :huh:.
working on sprites for my Zelda 1 remake, come see them at
http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=38427.0.
My first audio resource is up, http://www.zfgc.com/index.php#?action=resources&sa=view&id=231 , come see it.
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 12:42:03 pm »
  • Master Of Disaster
Deku tree isn't made from boards. Thats why it looks too artificial.
My advice to you is don't use any clear patterns. Here is a great example of how you COULD shade:

There are countless of ways to make things look like wood, so you should just google different kinds of tree textures and study them a bit.

.TakaM was here
  • Lumeuni
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 04:09:52 pm »

Or is it something else?

Here's what I suggest.

Work on the roots and face. It looks too much like an enlarged view of the smaller ALttP tree, which I'm sure it is. There's a section of brown between the middle roots and the furthest back that doesn't make any sense to me.

And I don't know how much this makes my opinion matter, but I've been trying to perfect ALttP style for over 7 years now. Your bark looks completely fine. I'm actually going to to do the same as you have to mine. I like the way your rounded it out. Bring the canopy down To a few pixels above the eyebrows, because the angle isn't working at the height it's currently at..

Try to make the bottom mouth match the bark, if possible.

Also, don't be afraid to give it more lighting on the roots. That brightest shade can do wonders, if used properly.

Also also, I like the way you shaded where the Canopy covers.
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 10:22:53 pm »

Or is it something else?

Here's what I suggest.

Work on the roots and face. It looks too much like an enlarged view of the smaller ALttP tree, which I'm sure it is. There's a section of brown between the middle roots and the furthest back that doesn't make any sense to me.

And I don't know how much this makes my opinion matter, but I've been trying to perfect ALttP style for over 7 years now. Your bark looks completely fine. I'm actually going to to do the same as you have to mine. I like the way your rounded it out. Bring the canopy down To a few pixels above the eyebrows, because the angle isn't working at the height it's currently at..

Try to make the bottom mouth match the bark, if possible.

Also, don't be afraid to give it more lighting on the roots. That brightest shade can do wonders, if used properly.

Also also, I like the way you shaded where the Canopy covers.

thanks yoshi, i was going to ask your personal opinion on the bark earlier because I figure youre the man who should know if it fits ALTTP style or not. I am also trying my hardest to perfect the LTTP style(about 2 years now but i guess i was trying to add a more "realistic" style to it before, which i now see as just...wrong.) I personally am most happy with the bark, more so than any other part of the tree. so now that i know you agree, im going to keep it.
im still gonna do a lot of the other things you guys suggested to see if it looks better.
i believe in trial and error. and yeah, im going to change the roots a bit and of course the face, but i was thinking i should make his nose slimmer instead of wider because at the moment its wider than his mouth. as i said before though, i WILL be trying all your suggestions.

EDIT: The area of brown between the roots is actually part of the root

It does looks very strange on my slightly "rounded" deku tree though, i have to agree.

BTW, yes, tree 5(my edit of the original ALTTP tree(not shown) and the lumberjack tree stump(tree 2) is the base of my deku tree(i just resized tree 5 and smoothed it out to get the horrible 4 pixel thick deku tree i had before(which is also the base for my new deku tree)

Do you think that making the roots and outside of the trunk 1 pixel thick instead of 2, will make it match the 1 pixel thick bark pattern and canopy? i think the face looks ok being 2 pixels thick but i will see how 1 pixel thick looks too.
i hope im making sense lol im kind of tired right now and i suck at grammar, spelling etc.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 11:05:52 pm by Skeme KOS »
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 78 queries.

anything