Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Relearning GML  (Read 1875 times)

Sinkin

Team Dekunutz
Relearning GML
« on: April 24, 2011, 08:24:35 pm »
  • Idk
So yeah, as the title sais I need to relearn GML. I have completely forgot almost everything about the language as I haven't touched it in the past two years. So, my question to you guys here who are developing in Game Maker; Do you have any tips for how to get started again? I know that GML isn't a complex language to learn but you know, I'm a little bit slow to learn things  :P
Re: Relearning GML
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 08:59:48 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
I think it's always good to open up an old piece of your own work or another person's. Just something pretty basic with not a whole lot of confusing code.

I've attached a gmk of my View Engine that was my first stepping stone in the making of Spirit's Quest. Looking at my code might give you a refresh on some of the basics. Though there are much better GML programmers around here than me.

Note: Not sure what you have, but you may need the pro game maker to actually run it, but I pretty sure it'll work with unregistered.
  • My Music
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 01:29:52 pm »
  • 笑い男
When you say re-learn, what do you need to re-learn?

I always forget commands and all of those sort of things. But the auto complete and search in the manual come in very handy to find exactly what you need in seconds, so as long as you originally know how to put code together, you should be fine?
Comparing it to learning a world language, you could say that you can look up any word easily in a dictionary, but you need to learn the grammar to put it all to use, but once you do get used to the grammar you're pretty much ok for life.
I'm guessing you didn't get too used to the grammar in the first place though which is why you're asking this question? :(
In that case I can only recommend what frozen fire has said.

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 02:14:39 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
Yeah from my experience the biggest part of learning GML is memorizing the function names so you know what to call.  The syntax itself is extreemly forgiving though I am a strong proponent of learning the proper way to code.  I.E. White space, meaningful variables names, indenting, commenting.  If you get into the habbit of doing this then the rest just kinda falls into place.  Other than that you just need to be able to think through what you want to do so you can translate it into scripts and GML functions.  As far as syntax goes, and loops and stuff, if you know any other laguage then you should be able to pick up GML easily after looking at some example code for a few minutes.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 06:26:46 pm »
When i was learning what i did was create simple ideas before developing them into complex codes.
This is a concept you could try.
Nubcake now uses Purebasic!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.201 seconds with 47 queries.

anything