Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Open-Engine Discussion/Progress Thread : Tactics Engine  (Read 6482 times)

Re: Open-Engine Discussion/Progress Thread : Tac...
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2010, 09:27:34 am »
I just gave it a quick glance through. If I find the time I will give some better C+C, but for now I only have 2 things.

1) Advice: add flowcharts when you talk about the process of gameplay and choices in processes. They make everything a lot easier to read.

2) Question: I can't really get a good understanding of the overworld. Is it something like Golden Sun, Final Fantasy and Zelda II games, or is it more like the overworld in MC, ALttP, LA.
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 09:52:54 pm »
Sorry for not replying in a while.

The overworld would look and wrok like FF Tactics to just give someone something to work with if they want to use the engine. 

In other updates:
I have not uploaded it as of yet.
Most of the movement has been removed from obj_player.  What I did was, I put the movement code into scripts that can be called by any of the characters the player can control.  It would help out any foreseeable speed issues since instead of calling the movement code in each step per each character, it only gets called if that character's turn is up.  That and it makes life easier for use with a controller object.
The MOVEMENT DIAMOND itself is 100% complete from everything I tested vigorously.  You can walk anywhere withing the diamond.  For the moment, I am not placing a sprite in the originating location when the MOVEMENT DIAMOND is called.  That's to let the player know that that was the starting spot.

I also added letting Z finish movement and X bring back up the MOVEMENT DIAMOND to give it a test on a larger environment( instead of 160 x 144, it is now 320 x 288) with moving views similar to older tactics styled games.

Other than that, still working on another release.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 10:41:35 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Or A*
DJikstra's is faster, from experience. Also has a more interesting name. And was used in Fire Emblem/Nintendo Wars.

[...] The only things that matter are how many nodes
there are and whether you have a good heuristic for distance /
direction to the target, however that is defined.

A* is good when there are a lot of nodes and you have a good heuristic.
If there is no good heuristic, A* has little benefit and Dijkstra at
least saves some overhead. And if there are only a small number of
nodes there seems little benefit in implermenting A*.

[...]
http://objectmix.com/java-games/131487-dijkstras-algorithm-vs-star.html

Relatively speaking Nintendo Wars was operating on quite small grids, probably why they went with Dijkstra's (also it's much simpler to implement).

EDIT: Holy hell this is my 3k post ^^
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 10:46:50 pm by TheDarkJay »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 44 queries.