Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Discussion Topic : Saving  (Read 1493 times)

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
Discussion Topic : Saving
« on: February 03, 2010, 07:56:34 pm »
In my game (Crystal Blade), I have a pressing matter that comes into mind. Now the way I've set up the game, there are two ways which the game can be saved. It can only be one or the other as they both make the other redundant.

-Save Points
-Auto Save

Now here's the thing. I dont know which one to take as they are both used alot by other games. I would like you all to if you have the time list the pros and cons for each of the methods. (Your probably wondering why I can't do it myself? Well I've only ever used the method were you can save anytime via the menu. Never had to use the two methods listed.)
  • Phoenix Heart

Jeod

Team Dekunutz, Doubleteam
Re: Discussion Topic : Saving
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 08:48:51 pm »
It really depends on the content of the game. For features like setting records (such as beat the game without dying and beat the game in XX:XX:XX time) I prefer to choose when to save in case I mess up on anything. On the other hand, a fast-paced game where pausing the game to save takes away from the action would be better off with an auto-save feature.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

Zelda GBC+ Engine for Multimedia Fusion 2
  • Doubleteam Project Page
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 09:09:25 pm »
Save Points, I assume that you go to some place and initiate an interaction to save. Auto Save, I assume you mean checkpoints that once you pass it automatically saves your progress.

The advantages of auto saves is that the player doesn't need to worry about saving. If the player dies after completing a big and difficult task, it can be frustrating when you forget to save. The second advantage is you can even place more points than Save points. Thus saving is done far more often than a player would do, because saving also interrupts the gameplay momentum.

The advantage of save points is that often in these systems, the player can choose the save file. That includes creating a new file, making it possible for the player to return to an earlier point and take a different route. The second advantage is that the player can interrupt his quest to do some leveling up or just look around in the world.

Thus, whatever you choose it has good and bad points.

Jeod

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 09:18:21 pm »
Save Points, I assume that you go to some place and initiate an interaction to save. Auto Save, I assume you mean checkpoints that once you pass it automatically saves your progress.

The advantages of auto saves is that the player doesn't need to worry about saving. If the player dies after completing a big and difficult task, it can be frustrating when you forget to save. The second advantage is you can even place more points than Save points. Thus saving is done far more often than a player would do, because saving also interrupts the gameplay momentum.

The advantage of save points is that often in these systems, the player can choose the save file. That includes creating a new file, making it possible for the player to return to an earlier point and take a different route. The second advantage is that the player can interrupt his quest to do some leveling up or just look around in the world.

Thus, whatever you choose it has good and bad points.

Doesn't it also increase runtime memory when the game stops to save every X minutes? If you go with autosave, do it after a major event in the game. That way it's at a place where any common-sense player would save, just does it for them in case they forget.
"You should challenge your fates. When all else fails, you can still die fighting." ~Yune

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 09:19:15 pm »
For autosave, I was thinking of it saving whenever the following happens.
-A boss has been defeated.
-You enter a dangerous environment (Aka a dungeon). But it only saves at the entrance.
-Whenever you gain a weapon and certain armour
-A key event

As for Save Points, they would be located...
-In every town
-At the start of a dangerous environment
-In special locations (Eg, Tower of Shadious.)
  • Phoenix Heart

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 09:33:41 pm »
  • Colbydude was here.
As autosaves after boss battles go, don't have it overwrite a main save, especially if it's a fun boss battle. All too many times, I'll go to rebattle certain bosses in games and because of autosaves, I'm forced to completely restart and get to that point again.
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 09:36:59 pm »
As autosaves after boss battles go, don't have it overwrite a main save, especially if it's a fun boss battle. All too many times, I'll go to rebattle certain bosses in games and because of autosaves, I'm forced to completely restart and get to that point again.
Hmm...that's a good point.
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 09:40:00 pm »
The second advantage is you can even place more points than Save points. Thus saving is done far more often than a player would do, because saving also interrupts the gameplay momentum.

Doesn't it also increase runtime memory when the game stops to save every X minutes? If you go with autosave, do it after a major event in the game. That way it's at a place where any common-sense player would save, just does it for them in case they forget.

Not necessary. I don't know what language KT plans on using, but during the game you can keep a save record, which gets updated when something changes and flag the values that change. At an auto save point a page flip can be made to a new and empty record. The old record is then be used by a separate thread (yes read: multithreading) to read what the changes are in the mean time and alter the save file accordingly. The auto save thread can have a lower priority, meaning that it will probably take several gamecycles to complete. While in the main thread the game continues uninterrupted. A page flip is often nothing more than swapping pointers or variable.

Jeod

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 09:41:13 pm »
Personally my favorite save styles were the ones that popped up asking if you wanted to save. Unfortunately, this is very rare in games and often only happens at the end for a "clear" file.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 53 queries.

anything