Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Released] Magma Pig for Android!  (Read 6591 times)

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
[Released] Magma Pig for Android!
« on: November 28, 2014, 11:51:54 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com

MAGMA PIG out for Android devices!

Hey everyone! My fiance and I made a game called Magma Pig and released it yesterday on Google Play for Android devices. We'll be porting it to iOS soon! I did the arts LOOK AT THE PIGGIES!

So what is this? Well, it's an infinite runner with a unique twist: you have to spawn the platforms yourself. It's pretty tough but I think it's a lot of fun.

You can download it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Mouffers.MagmaPig

Here are some pretty screenshots

• Starforsaken101's DeviantART
Re: [Released] Magma Pig for Android!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 12:53:59 am »
Looks nice, I don't have an Android device as of yet, but I'm looking to get one soon for porting my games to from iOS, thus far I haven't had that great a response from just iOS, so i'm not sure it's worth the time for my current game.

Those are some pretty cute looking costumes. I look forward to playing the iOS port  :D
I made a thing! Please try the thing, it's what the kids are calling a "vidja game" for the iOS Splashy Bucket
  • Fictitious Spoon Productions

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 01:03:06 am »
  • www.mouffers.com
Looks nice, I don't have an Android device as of yet, but I'm looking to get one soon for porting my games to from iOS, thus far I haven't had that great a response from just iOS, so i'm not sure it's worth the time for my current game.

Those are some pretty cute looking costumes. I look forward to playing the iOS port  :D

I find it cool how we both just released games for opposite platforms! Grats btw! How are you marketing your game? Our first game recently gained a lot of traction but it's sort of a niche and my fiance and I both think Magma Pig is higher quality in terms of "fun" quality. I've been messaging and emailing as many outlets as possible but it can be super exhausting!
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 02:41:02 am »
Yeah, the marketing part is hard. I got some traffic from lists for the first few days but that seems to have mostly tapered off now. To be honest I'm not really quite sure where to go from here, I've posted on Touch Arcade and Reddit, and to friends and what not on Facebook, but that's hardly a wide pool. When you talk about emailing and messaging outlets, what sort of places are you talking about? Marketing has never really been my thing, I prefer coding and art and what not.

I think I should have added achievements and unlockables to mine, as I think those go a long way towards keeping people on board while the high score table gets populated, I was trying to go for mostly a competitive vibe, but I think if the leaderboard isn't already reasonably populated, that doesn't really carry people's interest for very long. Going much more for unlockables and achievements in my next project.

For your iOS port are you folks working in Swift or Objective-C? I decided to be an early adopter of Swift, and so far I'm pretty happy with it. I've always found Objective-C so darn clunky looking.
I made a thing! Please try the thing, it's what the kids are calling a "vidja game" for the iOS Splashy Bucket

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 02:29:18 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
Well, we coded this with Unity so most likely going to port to Objective-C. I agree though, Swift is beautiful in comparison XD.

Achievements and leaderboards are a fun addition. I've noticed that friends who have been playing Magma Pig are competing in the leaderboards (MGZero and Lorentz have been going at it since the game's release).

What I did for Magma Pig (and Jo's earlier release, Mine Crush) was I wrote up a simple press release that explains the game, the requirements, and briefly about the team. I researched a hell of a lot of indie reviewers and started sending it on over to them. Not many stick but it's good to try anyway. My personal goal with this one is to get Epic Meal Time to notice since it involves bacon. When I posted Mine Crush to Reddit, a lot of my friends upvoted it in support and some people on Reddit shamed us for it; they thought we were cheating? I don't know, last time I checked, having friends isn't cheating. Anyway, some website off the top of my head are Indie Game Mag (they haven't written any articles for us), The Android Galaxy is great (too bad you're on iOS), Pocket Gamer, Indie Haven, etc. Basically search up indie game reviewers in Google and start spamming them with press releases.
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 06:51:37 pm »
Yeah, I was hoping for a little more action on my leaderboard, I think maybe I need some adjustments to gameplay, it doesn't seem like too many people who have downloaded it are really going for the top spot. There is a little bit around the top, but I'd say 90% or so of the people on the leaderboard are at the same place they came in on.

How do you find Unity? I looked at it prior to starting this game, but I ended up going with SpriteKit because it's free and very convenient to use, especially with Swift. It's a little frustrating though, because it's only compatible with iOS 7, which I think alienates quite a few people off the get go.

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2014, 07:16:08 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
I love Unity tight butthole, even with its slight gripes and weird things. It's obviously maybe not the best suited for certain games but I find it very good for mobile games.
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 11:05:01 pm »
 I have been playing the game a little bit and I like the concept but for me the most challenging aspect is the control scheme; i.e., with the pig on the left side of the screen, the left side of the screen handling jumping, and needing to often put platforms right in front of the pig - both of my thumbs crowd the left side of the screen and make it difficult to see what I'm doing.

It's like if the jump action was on the bottom-right side of the screen, visibility would improve. Maybe have an update where the controls are inverted from their current layout? (if that isn't in already and I missed it)

Sorry if that sounds nit-picky, but otherwise like I said I enjoyed the concept.

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 03:58:55 am »
  • www.mouffers.com
Hehe, not picky at all! I think an inverted control scheme option is interesting. I'll poke my fiance about it!
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2014, 12:29:17 am »
  • It's the grineer
That pig looks so cute >_< but I have android 2.2, so I'll just go cry on the corner

I'd love to give it a go if I can upgrade my phone, but until then I'll just say that you should keep up with the good work  :D

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2014, 03:15:31 am »
  • www.mouffers.com
That pig looks so cute >_< but I have android 2.2, so I'll just go cry on the corner

I'd love to give it a go if I can upgrade my phone, but until then I'll just say that you should keep up with the good work  :D

Thanks Triple B!

rhalifax

Pixelated Tree
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2015, 05:38:10 pm »
  • I'm here for the Bacon
Mragma prig!

I've gotten better at this game, but its still very challenging.

My nephews also think its funny :P
Pixelated Tree. | I make crappy Youtube videos now.
XBL- aaronshatonyou | PSN- cpt ehren | Steam- cptehren
  • Pixelated Tree

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 06:14:32 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
Mragma prig!

I've gotten better at this game, but its still very challenging.

My nephews also think its funny :P

*squee*! Thanks! Yeah it's quite a challenge haha, I'm not all that good at it either.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 64 queries.