Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Region Locks Are So Silly.  (Read 1708 times)

Koh

Region Locks Are So Silly.
« on: July 12, 2013, 08:44:20 pm »
  • Tamer Koh
Seriously, they do nothing but cause trouble.  The GB(C)/GBA/DS were all region free, but the 3DS is regionlocked, and there are many games that won't be localized to other countries of varying origin.  Say I want to get a JRPG.  Too bad, I can't give them my money to do so because of the accursed lockout chip in there that says "Sorry Koh, but I can't let you do that.  You are going to find playing this Japanese game on your American system rather difficult."  What is the purpose of this?  Is it of any such significance that it can't be done in another fashion, rather than limiting consumers?  Is it just a stupid power show, just to show what companies are capable of?  Has anyone else had a problem with region locks on a game they've wanted to purchase before?  How the hell is someone supposed to know it's region locked anyway if they've either never heard of it, or did the proper research to know?  So they wind up spending money in a futile manner for a game they will be unable to play....
  • Megaclipse Games

Mirby

Drifter
Re: Region Locks Are So Silly.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 09:49:28 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
well there is a petition for Nintendo to remove the region-lock on Nintendo systems that has over 22,000 signatures so far. and there is a movement to stop the region locking outside of that petition

also as for knowing if it's on a region, it says on the box. usually you can tell just by the ratings, but it says on the back (for instance, it might say "for use in the Americas only"). there are really easy ways to find that out.

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
Re: Region Locks Are So Silly.
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 11:47:43 pm »
  • Wooper Don't Give a !@#$%
Region locks are in place because of the exchange rate between international currencies (And sometimes different expectations between markets although that's rarer these days, mostly just a split between Russia/China and everyone else)

They're a necessary evil although Nintendo overdoes it by enforcing it on every game. Not every project will necessarily fail from imports and developers should have the option of pleasing fans if they'd like
ROLL TIDE WHAT? **** YOU!!! Geaux Tiga

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
  • Gamers & Developers Unlimited
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 43 queries.

anything