Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Stories in Games.  (Read 4700 times)

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
Stories in Games.
« on: April 10, 2007, 08:03:19 am »
  • Silly cat!
What games have you played that have housed spectacular storylines? And how exactly did the game manage to co-operate the storyline into the game without sacrificing terrific gameplay? I understand how an RPG can have such a story, but what about other games?

Personally I've never found such a game which is why I'm asking the question.

Hoffy.
Re: Stories in Games.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 08:04:58 am »
halo does.. and thats a fps..i guess. iono >_>
[...The mystery of wireless, revealed...]

[...Ninjas...]
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 08:12:03 am »
little big adventure/relentless

such a great story of corruption and religious oppression, as all great stories; you learn the history of the story and it progresses at a steady pace
great sense of society and culture when you befriend villagers and aide in the rebellion
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 10:00:10 am by .TakaM »
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 08:14:40 am »
There is no such thing as a perfect game. Well, ALOT of games had great storylines, but nothing to make you feel it well enough (Gears of War for example).
the a o d c

Dascu

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 09:57:48 am »
Killer7.
A game that qualifies in the "Are games art?" discussion.
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2007, 10:05:31 am »
Mother 3.
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2007, 10:13:19 am »
...I really doubt you can read japanese
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 10:24:01 am »
Doesnt mean I dont know the story.

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 10:25:28 am »
  • Silly cat!
I think the only way to truly understand a story to experience it first-hand...

But, if you say so.

Killer7.
A game that qualifies in the "Are games art?" discussion.
I've been interested in purchasing that game... It seems a lot more interesting that No More Heroes :/. To me, anyway.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 10:27:37 am by Hoffy »

Hoffy.
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 10:40:18 am »
Even in japanese the game owns.
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2007, 10:46:36 am »
the a o d c
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 10:50:56 am »
Beyond Good & Evil had a great story in my opinion. It really sucked me in it and I really felt sorry for the characters. xD

Dascu

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 12:06:36 pm »
Killer7 really is a gem.
The plotlines are very deep and complex, dealing with psychology and real politics. The game deserves a mature rating, however. There are cutscenes that are simply not fit for the faint of heart, and you must be reasonably mature to comprehend the story and to experience the game to its fullest. Killer7 is not a game for everyone, but it wouldn't be Killer7 if it was.

David Lynch plot + Quinten Tarentino violence + Hideo Kojima design = Killer7.
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2007, 01:03:43 pm »
Well... Final Fantasy X, Golden Sun and Tales of Symphonia have great and touching stories.
As for non-RPG games, I can only remember Zeldas and Another Code. Another Code ruled really much, I have never felt like I was in the middle of a family of the early 20th century, I could feel myself so deep inside the story, pity it only lasted 6 hours (even though it's perfectly possible to complete it in a couple of hours)
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2007, 01:05:05 pm »
  • Fendez Coder
yeh Tales of Symphonia is probably the best story in a game I've ever come across....the story + the music just made the game so incredible, i basically played it through (that's 50 hours) in one sitting cos i was so hooked lol.

Och vi som väntar på något gott vi väntar alltid för länge jag vet, jag vet
men ett liv med låga krav är som sommar utan sol och vinter utan snö
Och vem vill leva så
  • Fendez Games
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2007, 01:12:45 pm »
Graphical adventure games like the Monkey Island series did it well. The remake of resident evil for the cube worked with story for me but that could be called an RPG I guess or even a graphic adventure game..

I ♥ Open Girlfriend (What!? I didn't add this.. must have been Solly!)
  • My DevArt Account

Dascu

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 02:49:57 pm »
yeh Tales of Symphonia is probably the best story in a game I've ever come across....the story + the music just made the game so incredible, i basically played it through (that's 50 hours) in one sitting cos i was so hooked lol.
Hahahaha.
Hahahaha.
Hah.
HAHAHAHAHA.

Oh man, I need to kill Namco before I die. They've unleashed the plague that is Tales of Symphonia, one of the most overrated games ever, right next to FF7. The story and characters from ToS are absolute generic anime crap. No denying that, unless you set your standards as high as a mangled dog.

Stories in games need to grow up. There are little *good* stories in games, even RPGs. They're uninspired predictable stories taken from children's books. You can only hope for a good execution (like the Zelda series). Games are leagues away from the plotlines in literature and films. They're like comic books back from the 50's. Gaming needs a jump, like those comic books had in the 80's. And it is for that reason that I have such great respect for Goichi Suda.
Gaming needs its own "The Watchmen" for it to become an interactive entertainment medium on par with cinema and literature. Otherwise, it'll always stay a medium purely for kids.

PS: This does not mean Nintendo games need to go. But if games want to become something more than "toys", then it'll need to develop a new genre that rivals other popular media.
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 03:02:19 pm »
Well... Final Fantasy X, Golden Sun and Tales of Symphonia have great and touching stories.
As for non-RPG games, I can only remember Zeldas and Another Code. Another Code ruled really much, I have never felt like I was in the middle of a family of the early 20th century, I could feel myself so deep inside the story, pity it only lasted 6 hours (even though it's perfectly possible to complete it in a couple of hours)
another code was great.. but I gotta disagree with golden sun, its story was pretty crap.. just the standard, worlds in danger, you'll eventually form a party etc
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 03:06:49 pm »
  • [sic]
I like games with simple stories. The Zelda series, for example, takes very simple stories but makes them interesting and sometimes emotional, focusing on the gameplay. It's hard to tie stories into gameplay seamlessly without overdoing cutscenes and so many devlopers go for that approach instead. What I think is nifty are "interactive cutscenes", as it were, sequences that are there not to simply get to the next stage but that illustrate the story without removing your part in the game. This is hard to pull off, though, and a game that is constantly in real-time can become tedious. It's very hard to find the perfect mix.

Devy

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2007, 05:41:06 pm »
the final fantasy series take  my breath away because of the awesome stories (FF7) anyways not an rpg? hmmm i dont think there is one...
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 74 queries.