Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pan's Labyrinth.  (Read 1780 times)

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
Pan's Labyrinth.
« on: January 23, 2009, 11:58:12 am »
  • Silly cat!
Basically, I saw this movie, and I wish I had been the one responsible for creating it.

I've been wanting to see it for quite a while, but other movies and general availability meant I had to keep putting it off, even though the film was released in 2006. Now that I have seen it, I really do believe to be one of the most wonderful films I've seen. Guillermo del Toro is a genius, the way he has pieced it together... I agree with him in that too many films and books today focus on explaining magic, and unnatural occurences. Pan's Labyrinth just takes the simplistic fairy tale approach. If a creature has a characteristic, or a look, it's simply is the way it is. The monster design in the film (even if the film was restricted to only two interesting monsters) is some of the best I've seen anywhere.

It took me a while to realise it, but there really isn't anything like Pan's Labyrinth in any game, book, or film. Mature fairy tales have been done before, but not in the way this has. Ofelia is still the sweet little girl that plays along and does what she has to do, but there's a level of complexity added to the mix when you see that the her stepfather is threatening her childhood innocence and imagination. There's just so many levels to this film, it's beautiful.

Highly recommended.

Hoffy.
Re: Pan's Labyrinth.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 12:14:10 pm »
  • 虫めづる姫君
I saw Pan's Labyrinth about a year ago.  It really is amazing.  Now that I'm thinking of it I might watch it again sometime soon.  Thanks, Hof.  =]
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 12:28:48 pm »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
This movie is great, but I don't like the part near the beginning when her stepfather is beating that guy's face in.  Other than that, it was pretty sweet.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 12:34:10 pm »
  • :D
It's a good film, but if you ask me, it gets way more recognition and praise than it deserves. 
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 03:01:00 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
I saw it about a year ago. Thought it was pretty good. :)
  • Lionfish Apps
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 03:57:29 pm »
Probably one of my favourite films. I saw it a while ago and immediately bought it.

Mario Kart Wii Friend Code: 4468-1342-3783

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 10:50:58 pm »
  • Silly cat!
It's a good film, but if you ask me, it gets way more recognition and praise than it deserves. 
Actually, I thought that too after I watched it the first time. But it really is one of those films that gets better after another viewing. After that, I started seeing how well it was pieced together, the importance of the themes (childhood fantasies versus the pains of the real world), importance of the characters, and then even the great costumes and beautiful shots.

This movie is great, but I don't like the part near the beginning when her stepfather is beating that guy's face in.  Other than that, it was pretty sweet.
Yeah, that was a bit over the top.

Loved this scene <3
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 12:10:10 am by Hoffy »

Hoffy.
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 02:13:16 am »
hmm saw it some time after the release, mexican government and TV new had tons of propaganda for it, since it was one of the few mexican good movies in soome years, the shame is that Guillermo lived part of his life in Spain so he is not 100% Mexican ;_;, but still this movie is awesome, I like the crude reality contrasted with the "el Fauno"(the Pan) magic world. The ending was soo unexpected that made this movie one of the favorites I have seen, I need to buy it D:. It is a shame that Guillermo del Toro is making some money-maker movies, like Hellboy 2 (eventhough the costumes are amazing), and "Rudo y Cursi" a mexican comedy, which is good but not better than Pan's Lybrinth, I don't recommend the last one it has mexican humor that might not be correctly translated.
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 03:21:34 pm »
  • I put this here for the sake of that one thread

Loved this scene <3
There is nothing to like about that scene, it's just creepy.

I </3 Sol

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 11:07:43 pm »
  • Silly cat!

Loved this scene <3
There is nothing to like about that scene, it's just creepy.
And all kinds of AWESOME.

Hoffy.
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 11:20:04 pm »
  • CRUNCH! I'll add it to the heap!
This is one of my favorite movies. I saw it twice in theaters, and I've watched the DVD 12 or so times. I like how it doesn't try to sugar-coat everything the way American cinema does. I walked out of the theater a bit disturbed, and wanted more. If you can, watch that movie's spiritual predecessor "The Devil's Backbone".
And now after years of mocking him the pretending he played a massive part in our lives when really we couldn't care less just to ease our consciounse over said mocking healing can begin <_<

It's Steve Irwin all over again.
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 12:02:22 am »
I saw this brilliant movie last year! And I want it in my DVD collection. :)
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 10:07:07 pm »
  • Lul
The movie is awesome, it has its flaws but the overall story is schhweeeet. A very original movie, me like. I let my friends watch the movie but unfortunately they were jawning through the whole movie, but I think you need to watch it twice to understand it?? I don't know? It's kind of like Matrix xP
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 63 queries.