Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: For all the things the 360 does right...  (Read 6446 times)

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
For all the things the 360 does right...
« on: April 03, 2009, 08:39:45 am »
  • Silly cat!
... the Wii does some stuff better.

Case in point: backwards compatibility. Anyone who says "all the Xbox originals you could possibly want to play on the 360 have patches available" is a damn liar. Now I didn't own an Xbox, mainly because there was nothing good on it, but my friend was so kind as to let me borrow Beyond Good & Evil, one of the most highly-acclaimed games of the generation past. I was looking forward to playing it, so much so that I decided to sign up to Xbox LIVE finally (Hoffy17, add me if you will, etc) and get the necessary patches and what not. With my idiot brain in tact, it took me an hour or so to figure out that there wasn't a goddamn patch for it. One of the best games ever (apparently), and there's no support to play it on a current-generation console, when there damn well should be.

Forgive me saying so, but it's nice to be able to turn on my Wii and just play my large selection of GameCube games, without having to pull out the purple little lunch box to do so. Every game is playable, for some reason, I don't really know why, or care. I sound ignorant in saying that, sure, but point is, the games are playable. They just are. Granted it would be nice not to have to change controllers on the Wii all the friggin' time, but... Nintendo do as Nintendo do. 

Actually, after my experience with the 360, I find there are several things the Wii does better. I was confused today to find the 360 needed a wireless adapter to connect to my router, where the Wii doesn't. Luckily I had a semi-broken Ethernet cable lying around... which is annoying because I'd rather not go out and buy a $27,000 wireless adapter. Micro$oft just wants my money? Indeed.

I'm not trying to take a shot at the anti-Nintendo fanboys here, I'm just saying this backwards compatibility issue bothered me quite a lot. Actually, there are a lot of things I like about the 360. I started to play around with LIVE, and I think it's great. The integration of the online components are seamless, which is the way it should be. Bit worried about my download limits, though, but you get that.

... My rant!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 08:44:25 am by Hoffy »

Hoffy.
Re: For all the things the 360 does right...
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 09:06:02 am »
Obviously every gaming console is going to have it's strengths and weaknesses. Nintendo has done an excellent job at making the Wii backwards compatible.

What I don't understand is why the PlayStation 3 is no longer backwards compatible. Honestly, I would rarely play the original PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games if my PlayStation 3 was not backwards compatible. It's almost as if the gaming companies want us to forget about older generation games.

I see no reason why a console should not be backwards compatible if the game data is stored on media the current console can read. I presume there could be some issues with hardware, but the Nintendo was able to create an excellent backwards-compatible console.

I'm curious to find out what the next generation gaming consoles are going to be like. Console developers have been researching many new and unique ideas to the industry recently, and it will be interesting to see how many of those become integrated in their consoles.
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 09:40:01 am »

Case in point: backwards compatibility. Anyone who says "all the Xbox originals you could possibly want to play on the 360 have patches available" is a damn liar. Now I didn't own an Xbox, mainly because there was nothing good on it, but my friend was so kind as to let me borrow Beyond Good & Evil, one of the most highly-acclaimed games of the generation past. I was looking forward to playing it, so much so that I decided to sign up to Xbox LIVE finally (Hoffy17, add me if you will, etc) and get the necessary patches and what not. With my idiot brain in tact, it took me an hour or so to figure out that there wasn't a goddamn patch for it. One of the best games ever (apparently), and there's no support to play it on a current-generation console, when there damn well should be.

Forgive me saying so, but it's nice to be able to turn on my Wii and just play my large selection of GameCube games, without having to pull out the purple little lunch box to do so. Every game is playable, for some reason, I don't really know why, or care. I sound ignorant in saying that, sure, but point is, the games are playable. They just are. Granted it would be nice not to have to change controllers on the Wii all the friggin' time, but... Nintendo do as Nintendo do. 

Actually, after my experience with the 360, I find there are several things the Wii does better. I was confused today to find the 360 needed a wireless adapter to connect to my router, where the Wii doesn't. Luckily I had a semi-broken Ethernet cable lying around... which is annoying because I'd rather not go out and buy a $27,000 wireless adapter. Micro$oft just wants my money? Indeed.

I'm not trying to take a shot at the anti-Nintendo fanboys here, I'm just saying this backwards compatibility issue bothered me quite a lot. Actually, there are a lot of things I like about the 360. I started to play around with LIVE, and I think it's great. The integration of the online components are seamless, which is the way it should be. Bit worried about my download limits, though, but you get that.

... My rant!
Hence the reason I don't own any of the latest consoles, and chose to build a computer. Some idiots who think computers are !@#$% (read: 360 fanboys retards) still don't realise that a computer made all their games.
tl;dr, consoles suck, computers are better, big companies want money, etc etc.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 11:12:34 am »
  • 虫めづる姫君
The Wii may have backwards-compatability, but that's all it has.  May as well buy a Gamecube.  Wii sucks!

*flees*
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 11:41:15 am »
  • And if they dont dance, they're no friend of mine
The Wii may have backwards-compatability, but that's all it has.  May as well buy a Gamecube.  Wii sucks!

*flees*

Yeah, its not like the Wii has online gaming (unlike the GC) or a completely new control system, which I'll admit people have mixed opinions on, but I like. To be honest, all the people who say its just a waggle-fest, the other consoles are just press-button-fests.

[/my2cents]

Art by Kyuumu, banner by me
Screw this, im off to Hogwarts...
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 04:01:29 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything

... My rant!
Hence the reason I don't own any of the latest consoles, and chose to build a computer. Some idiots who think computers are !@#$% (read: 360 fanboys retards) still don't realise that a computer made all their games.
tl;dr, consoles suck, computers are better, big companies want money, etc etc.

Yea seriously, my computers faster than a 360 anyway =)

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 04:28:15 pm »
  • Super Hero Time!
Why do you need a new-gen system for your last gen games?

If I want to play Xbox games or GC games I'll just plug in one of those and play. And if you were stupid enough to sell one of them, then it's your own fault.

Wii still sucks !@#$%.

Micro$oft just wants my money? Indeed.

And Nintendo doesn't? You know, Nintendo hands everything out for free, those thoughtful bastards.

Yeah, its not like the Wii has online gaming (unlike the GC)
[/my2cents]

LOLFRIENDCODESANDLAG.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 04:36:03 pm by Porkchop »
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 04:30:16 pm »
  • Wooper Don't Give a !@#$%
The Wii was originally a GCN peripheral, and its mostly GCN hardware. Of course its going to be bc.

360 on the otherhand had an entire rehaul on its architecture, which makes the fact that it has any bc incredibly impressive.

EDIT: As for Beyond Good and Evil, just play it on PC. Problem solved.

EDIT2: Next item up for bid: The WiFi conundrum. Wii has WiFi. Yes. Wii charges you to use a CAT5 cable. Yes. Which is really better now? WiFi online on games like Smash sucks. You'd think Nintendo fans would want to have the option for smooth online play. Guess not.

EDIT3: Then there's the issue of pricing. Wii with no memory - $250. 360 with no memory - $200. One year of Live - $30 if you're frugal, $50 if you're into convenience. That puts 360 at the very worst the same price as the Wii for startup. Then the peripherals. Oh God, the peripherals. Wii Wheel, Wii Baseball Bat, Wii Balance Board, Wii Tennis Racket, Wii Motion Plus (Wait wasn't that the point of the Wiimote?), Wii Lightgun, Wii Classic Controller, Wii Classic Controller Plus, Wii Speak, Wii Guitar, and I'm sure many others that I'm missing here. 360, besides GH, you can pick up your controller and just play your damn games. It shouldn't take buying an external wheel or a new controller to make a game like Mario Kart playable.

Nintendo's dropped the ball for those of us who enjoy games. 360 isn't a saint, your complaints are valid. However, its much better on all fronts than anything the Wii has to offer, sans BC which isn't much of an issue.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 04:40:02 pm by walnut100 »
ROLL TIDE WHAT? **** YOU!!! Geaux Tiga

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
  • Gamers & Developers Unlimited

gm112

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 06:01:41 pm »
Well, backwards compatibility is a valid point, indeed. You have not only the gamecube games working 100% with the Wii(partly due to the hardware only being a re-vamp) and the list of Virtual Console games.. it's quite cool. But does that really make the Wii a good console? What about the Wii's software architecture? Do you know how horrible it is? Or as to WHY Nintendo only releases security patches that erase the game saves? Partly the reason is because they're lazy. Another reason is because they simply can't. I'll elaborate.

The 360 and PS3 can both offer new updates to the games expanding their features. They even tie in the OS(dashboard for the 360, xmb for the PS3) with the game which is awesome because you can do stuff such as achievements, or you could sit in a party talking to your friends while playing a game. The reason why the Wii isn't capable of doing stuff such as this is because of not having some form of shared code. If you were to look at this in a kernel hackers perspective you'd look at that as taking a step back to operating systems before Unix was even around. Do you know about I/O OS? Every Wii game runs on a separate I/O OS. The I/O OS is a very low-level OS that passes on device drivers and what have you so that your game can have direct access to the hardware. Let's say that Twilight Princess runs on I/O OS version 1 and version 9 was released today. Well, Twilight Princess wouldn't be able to use I/O OS version 9 so any security flaws or new features wouldn't be able to be utilized. The 360 had a huge revamp that we know as NXE. Changed the menu setup and dropped the blade system and I believe it added the party system (I didn't own a 360 before NXE, so I don't know if the party system existed before it). The Wii Photo Channel is a good example of why the software stack in the Wii sucks ass. Just to add one little feature they had to completely update the channel with a brand new I/O OS just to be able to utilize it whatever feature (USB Keyboard support is a good example, mind you.). They were only able to make the update possible because they were able to have direct access to the software. Do you think the Wii's disc drive has writing capabilities on the optical discs? Or if the optical discs  were re-writable, for that matter? You would think that you would be able to download a new executable of the game and pass it from your internal storage to the game, but no that's not possible. In fact, having all of the I/O OS's stored on your internal storage isn't really fun either. I don't understand with what they were thinking when they decided to slap on a 512MB flash memory. Why not have some sort of SSD variant that you can plug into the Wii? Oh, wait, you have the SD cards for that. You're only able to boot stream virtual console games from the SD card, though(to my knowledge). I can understand if Nintendo was trying to make a very basic system.. but this was all half-assed. Why do you think homebrew channel can sit there and be fine while you update to System Menu 4.0? Hell, I literally did try my luck with updating to 4.0 and it worked fine. Ran snes9x and played my Terranigma >_>. The update isn't really even worth it except the SD card storage for Virtual Console games. That should've been a feature from the very start. Why did they wait this long to add it? Why half-ass the software architecture and suffocate the gamers from extra features that get added on in later updates?  Why make the Wii only a minor upgrade to the GameCube?

The gaming library is another story. In fact, I'm completely excluding all Virtual Console and Gamecube games from the Wii's game library because I can play them on their original systems just fine. "Well... I want to play Zelda Wind Waker! I guess I'll go turn on my Gamecube and start playing it." The only thing I see good about the Wii staying so true to its older brother is that with homebrew, I was able to burn a pirated copy of Zelda Wind Waker and play it for the first time because my parents never bought me that game when I was younger. "UHUHHUUHUHUHUUUU... I WANT TO PLAY STAR FOX! Damn.. it's not on Virtual Console." See, this is why we have emulators these days. It's not so hard to download the whole entire SNES, NES, Genesis, Mega Drive, etc. game library via bit torrent. I'm not saying you have to, I'm just pointing out how easy it is to get access to these games and boot them up in your emulator.

Alright, the game library is really a joke. There's a couple games that catch my eye "No More Heroes", "Twilight Princess", "Super Smash Bros. Brawl", and "Metroid Prime 3 Corruption" just to name a few. Are there any more good games you might ask? Well, let's see here.... the game library from both the 3rd party and 1st party game developers betrayed their loyal fanbase and decided to go completely mainstream on us. I wouldn't mind if it was like what the 360 has going on where it was both mainstream and staying true to their "loyal fans". But seriously, cmon... would I rather play "Touch the dot!" instead of "Star Wars Unleashed" on my 360? Oh, wait, it's on the Wii.. but the control scheme sucks. Waggle.. WAGGLE CMON GUYS! Twilight Princess isn't waggle on the Wii.. why is more than half of the native games for the Wii half-assed with their control scheme? I was really excited to actually get a little interactive with my games. But HEY! Let's just do masturbating gestures with my Wiimote while I am scoring 100% on my game! Yes, I literally did try that at one time and it worked..

I'm not saying that you have to be completely non-mainstream. In fact, I don't mind having main stream gamers. The 360 has a couple of games that might appeal to the main stream audience. Anyone remember back in October - December when Microsoft had that holiday bundle? Indiana Jones and Kung Fu Panda for the 360 in one case came. I never played it because I don't really care for either. I'm sure other people did, though.

Not every system is perfect. The 360 had the red ring of death issue, and isn't 100% perfect with XBOX emulation. The PS3 is overpriced; blu-ray technology was still too young at the time of its release so games use your internal storage to increase load times.. But, the Wii... I just listed a whole entire page of flaws. The only THING it seems to be good at is backwards compatibility. I'm not a PS3 fan, and I'm not too crazy about Microsoft.. Nintendo has been lacking their vibe that they had back when the Gamecube came out, or when even the 64 came out. They just don't care anymore and I don't believe they will anytime soon seeing as how the lol DSi just came out. The DSi is a portable equivalent to the Wii. A very slight upgrade to its predecessor. I remember reading somewhere that the older DS games can't utilize the RAM or the faster processor speeds the DSi has. So I guess that means that the DSi will have its own gaming library because of that. If that's the case, then WHY even bother making it a slight upgrade like that? Meh.

On second thought, I think I made my point.

EDIT: Hoffy, I know you're just posting your opinion :P. I figured it'd be nice to follow the trend and post my thoughts, too.  I guess this thread sorta turned into a "share your thoughts on a current-gen console".
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 07:37:26 pm by Basniak/gm112 »
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 06:04:09 pm »
  • :D
Fortunately my PS3 has ended up providing where my Wii and 360 don't:  
-Free online gameplay
-Wel-designed interface (best of ALL the current-gen-- doesn't lag/freeze up like 360)
-PSN, which has lots of awesome exclusive !@#$%
-HD graphics (via HDMI)
-Wireless AND wired internet built in
-More powerful than Wii
-Full backwards compatability with PS1 AND PS2 (I have 60gb ps3)
-RECHARGABLE WIRELESS CONTROLLERSS (which use standard usb to charge)-- one annoying part of the current gen is the batteries required for both the 360 and the Wii.
-I can stream video from my pc easily (also available on both 360 and wii, easiest to set up on ps3)
-Full, functional web-browser
-New features and updates for ps3 OS more often than 360 or Wii
-Came with more HDD space than either my 360 or Wii (360 has 120gb option, but I just have 20gb lol, Wii had 0 :))

To be completely honest, I don't really play my Wii AT ALL.  I've got several games, but I don't want to play any of them.  I play my PC the most, then my PS3 and 360 about the same amount.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 06:06:46 pm by a Hint of Lime »
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 07:14:03 pm »
  • Wooper Don't Give a !@#$%
-Wel-designed interface (best of ALL the current-gen-- doesn't lag/freeze up like 360)

Clear your cache.

Less than XBOX360.

-HD graphics (via HDMI)

*looks at HDMI connected 360*

-More powerful than Wii

So is 360.

Wii has full bc.

-RECHARGABLE WIRELESS CONTROLLERSS (which use standard usb to charge)-- one annoying part of the current gen is the batteries required for both the 360 and the Wii.

Nothing's stopping you from putting a rechargable battery in your contoller for $3.

-I can stream video from my pc easily (also available on both 360 and wii, easiest to set up on ps3)

Setup's the same on all 3.

Why hello there Wii.

PS3 gets less system updates than 360. If you mean ones that ADD features, it probably has something to do with the PS3 launching feature stripped.

And before anyone asks, I like my PC more than anything right now.
ROLL TIDE WHAT? **** YOU!!! Geaux Tiga

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
  • Gamers & Developers Unlimited

Xiphirx

wat
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 07:57:19 pm »
  • Xiphirx
I like my PC more than anything right now.
  • For The Swarm

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 08:03:15 pm »
  • Long live the Chaos!!

Me too. 'Nuff said.

Don't worry -- eventually, EVERYTHING will be playable on the PC.
I was talking to my friend last night, and he was mentioning about how in 1980, he thought the internet would become this amazing place where people from across the world would share ideas. I was telling him about how this project [KOT] has worked, lurching along for years and drawn by different people from across the globe, and he thought it was beautiful. And he was right, it's awesome. :D

Zelda Items Spritesheet album (OUT OF DATE) - (link here)
A Link Across Time project - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Metroid) - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Zelda) - (link here)
Boss Keys project Trello Board - (link here)
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 08:14:23 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
Fortunately my PS3 has ended up providing where my Wii and 360 don't:  
-Free online gameplay
-HD graphics (via HDMI)
-Wireless AND wired internet built in
-More powerful than Wii
-Came with more HDD space than either my 360 or Wii (360 has 120gb option, but I just have 20gb lol, Wii had 0 :))

To be completely honest, I don't really play my Wii AT ALL.  I've got several games, but I don't want to play any of them.  I play my PC the most, then my PS3 and 360 about the same amount.
Agree completely (except I don't have PS2 back compatibility because I am cheap). And I only have a 40 Gb drive.
  • Lionfish Apps

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 08:55:55 pm »
  • The Mike

Me too. 'Nuff said.

Most of it already is anyway.

• Zelda Eternity

Hoffy

Hero of Fire
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2009, 11:35:23 pm »
  • Silly cat!
The Wii was originally a GCN peripheral, and its mostly GCN hardware. Of course its going to be bc.

360 on the otherhand had an entire rehaul on its architecture, which makes the fact that it has any bc incredibly impressive.

EDIT: As for Beyond Good and Evil, just play it on PC. Problem solved.

EDIT2: Next item up for bid: The WiFi conundrum. Wii has WiFi. Yes. Wii charges you to use a CAT5 cable. Yes. Which is really better now? WiFi online on games like Smash sucks. You'd think Nintendo fans would want to have the option for smooth online play. Guess not.

EDIT3: Then there's the issue of pricing. Wii with no memory - $250. 360 with no memory - $200. One year of Live - $30 if you're frugal, $50 if you're into convenience. That puts 360 at the very worst the same price as the Wii for startup. Then the peripherals. Oh God, the peripherals. Wii Wheel, Wii Baseball Bat, Wii Balance Board, Wii Tennis Racket, Wii Motion Plus (Wait wasn't that the point of the Wiimote?), Wii Lightgun, Wii Classic Controller, Wii Classic Controller Plus, Wii Speak, Wii Guitar, and I'm sure many others that I'm missing here. 360, besides GH, you can pick up your controller and just play your damn games. It shouldn't take buying an external wheel or a new controller to make a game like Mario Kart playable.

Nintendo's dropped the ball for those of us who enjoy games. 360 isn't a saint, your complaints are valid. However, its much better on all fronts than anything the Wii has to offer, sans BC which isn't much of an issue.
Those are good points. I don't pretend to be the kind of person who is an expert on the 'architecture' of consoles, therefore I really don't know how much of a GameCube the Wii is - actually, a lot of gamers wouldn't really understand. I just take the role of the end-user, completely unaware of all processing, and only concerned with the console's inputs and outputs. Actually, I find the controller-switching (and storing, for that matter) on the Wii quite tedious as well. But yes, I agree that the 360 isn't the god of consoles... though it does do a lot of things right in terms of next-generation games :).

gm112 - Yeah, I think I agree completely with everything you've said. I agree that the Wii does a lot of stuff wrong, actually. Now that you've actually laid out all those technical flaws for me, I can see that there was a lot of slack decisions Nintendo made, which would have otherwise benefited the console. Actually, I haven't used my Wii to play a game "hardcore" style since Metroid Prime 3. I use the Wii for what's it good for, though - whenever I have friends or family over, we'll usually play Brawl, or Mario Kart, or Wii Sports, or Guitar Hero World Tour. And often I'll use my Wii for GameCube games, Virtual Console and WiiWare games... which I don't think is a bad thing. Sure I could just play ROMs and download GCN ISOs, but I like this "legal" way more. Now that I can use my SD card to play VC and WW games, I can download and play games as I please. Just recently I bought World of Goo, which I think is one of the best games I've ever played. For what it's good for, the Wii is good. For what it's bad for - wtf Nintendo :-\?

Thanks for the constructive discussion, everyone.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 01:57:27 am by Hoffy »

Hoffy.
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2009, 01:55:51 am »
  • 虫めづる姫君
Guys, no more spam and off-topic bickering.  If it resumes this thread will be locked.
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2009, 03:33:44 am »

Me too. 'Nuff said.

Most of it already is anyway.
I was playing some old PS1 games a few days ago with a gamepad XD brings back the memories
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2009, 03:40:10 am »
The one thing that I do not like about the backwards compatibility with the Wii for Game Cube games is that you still have to navigate the menus to get to the Wii game - which means that you have to use your Wii-mote to get to the channel, wait, and then click play. This just bugs me because if I want to play a game and I know that my Wii-mote is dead on its batteries, it makes my Wii unusable.

I mean, even the Nintendo DS had an auto-load option. Unless I am being a little dense and I missed a control setting somewhere, this is a problem for me. Otherwise the backwards compatibility is alright.

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2009, 03:54:38 am »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
No, there's no "auto-start" option. Just buy new batteries. Or chargeable ones. Or the charging stand for the Wii-motes.
I was talking to my friend last night, and he was mentioning about how in 1980, he thought the internet would become this amazing place where people from across the world would share ideas. I was telling him about how this project [KOT] has worked, lurching along for years and drawn by different people from across the globe, and he thought it was beautiful. And he was right, it's awesome. :D

Zelda Items Spritesheet album (OUT OF DATE) - (link here)
A Link Across Time project - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Metroid) - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Zelda) - (link here)
Boss Keys project Trello Board - (link here)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 77 queries.