Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Discussion: Handheld gaming - should it be different or a port?  (Read 535 times)

Discussion: Handheld gaming - should it be diffe...
« on: January 08, 2011, 12:00:01 pm »
Sorry if the title seems odd.  What I am asking is when you have games created for mobile/handheld devices, should they be made with the gimmicks/features of the handheld or should they be made more as if on a console?

Examples:
Super Mario 64 DS had the option of using the buttons or stylus.  I opted for buttons as it felt more suited for the game.
Goldeneye Rogue Agent/ Metroid are FPS games that can be done using the stylus.  Once again, I choose the buttons over the stylus.
Phantom Hourglass/ ST use the stylus.  I tried it but could not buy either as I hate being restricted to a stylus.
Any PSP games that are FPS/over the shoulder, I use the nub with the face buttons as "dual-analogue".  Same with DS games(D-Pad is left stick, face buttons are right stick, if you understand what i am saying).

Basically, I like my handheld games to be more like the console games.  Maybe that's why I enjoy my PSP more than the DS these days when it comes to new games.  Not really into gimmicks and touch features.  Heck, I can't even finish World Ends with You because it uses the stylus, not the buttons.

I'll just throw this out there as well:
Same goes with the Wii.  I got rid of mine because at the time most games were using the sensor gimmick.  Sure, it was fun for rail-shooters, but other than that, no.  Racing games, every single one I set up to use the Wii-mote and chuck as a controller and not a magic wand.  Sports games were irritating too.  I had MLB 2K9.  Had to swing the wii-mote.  Any game that used teh classic controller was good in my eyes.

Anyway, couple of good topics there for discussion.  As I typed this, I am wondering if I am falling behind the curve as I enjoy  mouse/keyboard and controllers over anything that deals with real physical movement.  Not that I am lazy, but when you are alone for 4 hours playing a game at 2:00am, waving my arm or body(Kinect) is unnecessary.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
Re: Discussion: Handheld gaming - should it be d...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 07:35:49 pm »
I don't want my handheld games to be like the console version, because it would be a waste of money if it is just ported. When I get the choice to play the same game on a handheld or a home console. I choose the home console, because they generally have more content or are just better.

And yes if I buy a console with some features I want the games to utilize those features. And that includes motion and touchscreen controls. If I don't like them then I don't buy the console. I will buy a console whose features I like and not because there is one single game that I like and then no longer use it any more. For example the camera in the DSi is a waste of money because it is hardly used for anything. And yes I like the touchscreen and motion controls.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 39 queries.

anything