Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OoT Adult Link - Terranigma Style  (Read 3726 times)

OoT Adult Link - Terranigma Style
« on: February 08, 2012, 12:49:40 am »
Just discovered this beautiful RPG - Terranigma.  I lvoe the graphics style as it reminds me quite a bit of Secret of Mana/Chrono Trigger.  The game feels LttP meets SoM as far as gameplay is concerned.  There is height - ledges you can fall off or even jump up.  You can run, jump, all that good stuff.

Anyway, as I was playing, I wondered what a Zelda game would like mannered after the style somewhat.

Latest versions:
Started the side view.

Anyway thoughts on how to improve?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 08:20:02 pm by Theforeshadower »
  • Super Fan Gamers!
Re: OoT Adult Link - Terranigma Style
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 01:40:46 am »
I'm not too good at spriting, but I love Terranigma! Great game, and definitely awesome graphics. Your sprite isn't bad, but the hat seems a bit flat. The proportions of the legs on the Terranigma sprite are better than your Link in the sense that they're longer and obscuring more of the torso, giving it a better angled appearance I think

My .02
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 02:29:30 am »
Okay.  Edited it a little bit.  Shrunk the torso.  Changed the shading a touch on the legs.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 06:51:56 am »
I was going to say "What you have never heard or played Terranigma?", but then I remembered that your an American.

But on the sprites. The right Link looks depressed or tired. And with both the arms look like stumps. I think it is because you made the arms to wide. My advice is to take a bit of the sides.
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 07:45:02 pm »
I still have a Terranigma cartridge around here somewhere. Awesome game. But yeah...sprites need a little work. They look a bit like he's hunched over.

Malon

ZFGC's Pariah.
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 08:13:36 pm »
  • "Mmmm...CHECK PLEASE!"
It kind of looks like he is looking down, so maybe you could make his eyes a pixel taller?
Re: OoT Adult Link - Terranigma Style ( With ani...
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 05:21:13 am »
Did a little more editing.  Tried something similar to the original Ark sprite with the arms.  Did a few other modifications.

EDIT: Just tried my hand at the walking down animation. Posted Ark's as well for comparison.

You may need to refresh/reload the page to view them in sync.
I think the basics are there.  Never was too good at shading tunics.  The hair needs movement but not good at that either :/
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 07:54:05 am by Theforeshadower »
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 08:22:00 pm »
From now on, everything will be updated on the first post.

I edited the down view a bit more.  Shrunk the boots a touch to make them more close the size they are in the walking animation.  Shrunk the arms a touch as well.  Changed some shading a small bit.

Started the side view.  Having problems with the hat.  Might need more work on shadows on the right side.
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Koh

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 04:42:12 am »
  • Tamer Koh
I find that the outer pixels need to be darker shade variants of the colors, like Ark's so it flows well.  As it is now, the edges are too bright and look disoriented, as well as the shading on Link's hat appearing slightly metallic.  In addition, this one is a personal beef, but what compelled you to make his hair blonde here, instead of brown?
  • Megaclipse Games
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 06:12:18 am »
In addition, this one is a personal beef, but what compelled you to make his hair blonde here, instead of brown?
Because Link in Ocarina of Time has blond hair.  You can Google it.  In my opinion, best version of Link of any game except maybe LttP.
Even Skyward Sword Link has blonde hair even though it's more of a dirty blonde.  The official artwork has it that way.
Been a long time since I have seen a true brown haired Link.  Maybe back to Lttp/AoL.
http://www.zeldawiki.org/Link  <--- every incarnation of Link
Why would I make his hair brown if it hasn't been brown except in the minority of games?

I was also waiting until I got more done before adding an outline or not.  I may do a version later on it.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 06:31:01 am »
I'm sorry to say this, but I don't think the Terranigma style suits well with Link. It makes him look kinda retarded. His head is sunk inside his body and he is hunched forward. With Ark this style works, because we haven't seen any other style. In addition I have always considered those purple things high up armored shoulder pads.

The proportions of Link's body are out of whack. The head is large, the torso is tiny and the legs are very long. I know it is a 3/4 overhead perspective, but that does not change the proportions of a body. If you look more closely to the side view, you will see that Ark's crotch is much lower then your Link.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 06:32:36 am by Niek »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 60 queries.

anything