Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down

Author Topic: ZFGC Style Development  (Read 80687 times)

Re: ZFGC Style Development
« Reply #220 on: March 31, 2010, 06:21:52 am »
Why should we up the res if Nintendo doesn't?
Because Nintendo never had a high resolution to work with. NES, SNES, GB, GBC and GBA had all low resolutions. The last true 2D game was MC, which was played on the GBA. The screen resolution of the GBA probably fits 8 times in you PC's screen resolution.

@Random: just make what is needed, don't start thinking about pits and how you can avoid them. That is for the gamedevelopers. This is a graphics topic.
« Reply #221 on: March 31, 2010, 06:26:55 am »
  • You heard of the thing from the place with stuff?
Quote from: DJvenom
Did you forget to color some of the tiles in? It looks like a really symmetrical square explosion of some sort... Also, LTTP walls mixed with MC lanterns and ZFGC style tiles?
Those are actualy FSA walls and lanterns. I just used Tingle's Tower as an example. (Although I did edit out the Tingle part becuase I hate him...) Also, what tiles Did I not color in? I realised I forgot two tiles, but that doesn't mean I didn't color it in.
Quote from: Niek
just make what is needed, don't start thinking about pits and how you can avoid them. That is for the gamedevelopers. This is a graphics topic.
I was just trying to give some examples of what is possible with them.
Sorry, I can't think of a more interesting sig. > .>

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #222 on: March 31, 2010, 06:28:34 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Why should we up the res if Nintendo doesn't?
Because Nintendo never had a high resolution to work with. NES, SNES, GB, GBC and GBA had all low resolutions. The last true 2D game was MC, which was played on the GBA. The screen resolution of the GBA probably fits 8 times in you PC's screen resolution.

Yeah but you're adding an unrealistic impossibility to the requirements :p It's the reverse side to what you said to Random- That is for the artists. This is a graphics topic. The developers should utilize the artwork as the artists present it. If that means scaling, then scale it :p
« Reply #223 on: March 31, 2010, 06:36:02 am »
Fine with me, just was making a suggestion.
« Reply #224 on: March 31, 2010, 08:31:27 am »
  • 虫めづる姫君

I haven't read this whole thread, but has anyone pointed out that these tiles are ripped from BS Zelda?

EDIT:  I see Kren asked on the first page if the tiles were stolen from Minish Cap, and his post was ignored.  But they're definitely from BS Zelda.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 08:49:17 am by Shefali »

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #225 on: March 31, 2010, 08:50:34 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Yeah; any and all tiles/sprites/etc from another release should be removed entirely and discarded as anything valid.

On a side note, I actually made a couple of tiles to compliment MG's. New lever. Instead of the standard top-down loop, it's on it's side ||.

EDIT: One thing I don't really like about the palettes in use is that there's not enough contrast. Everything seems so bland D:

It is in my personal opinion that the floors should be somewhat drastically different from the walls, at least in terms of color. Depict similar textures (where applicable), but keep the colors different to keep things vibrant. I'll probably start working on my own tileset sooner than later.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 09:24:12 am by Mamoruanime »

Zhello

N.A.D.I.
Re: ZFGC-Style-2010
« Reply #226 on: March 31, 2010, 07:27:21 pm »
  • L'homme avec beaucoup de noms.
lol I remember this, but why did you bring it back?  :huh:
The IT Guy
Intermediate Coder
Linux is a wonderful thing
~Linkwolf48/Gumstone1080~

The Legend of Zelda - New Beginnings

http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=34986.0
1.6 Demo -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/56km0iadaras56g/LoZNB%20Game%20Folder.rar?dl=0

Side Projects:

Dragon Diary - Cybernetic Threat
Story: http://wiki.zfgc.com/Cybernetic_Threat

Aero88
ZFGC is like the Hotel California.  You can come in but you can never leave!

devianart: http://linkwolf48.deviantart.com/

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #227 on: March 31, 2010, 08:31:25 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
Ahem... it's spelled chaos... I'm about ready to start proofreading your posts, Random.
Stop trying to be me. I'm more me than ZFGC can handle. Find somewhere else to be a typographical nazi.
Hey, now I know how you feel!

Regardless of that (I say regardless a lot), this is coming along nicely. Looks great, Mammy.

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #228 on: March 31, 2010, 08:40:08 pm »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese

I haven't read this whole thread, but has anyone pointed out that these tiles are ripped from BS Zelda?

EDIT:  I see Kren asked on the first page if the tiles were stolen from Minish Cap, and his post was ignored.  But they're definitely from BS Zelda.

There are a few very odd looking differences...

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #229 on: April 01, 2010, 12:17:28 am »
  • ^Not actually me.

Yeah but differences or no, it's a blatant rip from BSZ :p
« Reply #230 on: April 01, 2010, 12:40:10 am »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese

Of course I'm not denying that, I just think the edited one looks really... weird...

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #231 on: April 01, 2010, 12:54:18 am »
  • ^Not actually me.

Of course I'm not denying that, I just think the edited one looks really... weird...

Yeah I agree :p
« Reply #232 on: April 02, 2010, 11:21:26 pm »
  • You heard of the thing from the place with stuff?

EDIT:  I see Kren asked on the first page if the tiles were stolen from Minish Cap, and his post was ignored.  But they're definitely from BS Zelda.

Yeah I agree :p
Yay! Quote pyramid! If you read on, he even says that its from BS Zelda. It is very brilliant, especialy for an ALttP that can pass off as MC or ZFGC style.

Update: I really like the leaver too! Were was the original you were speaking of?
Sorry, I can't think of a more interesting sig. > .>
« Reply #233 on: April 03, 2010, 09:45:37 am »
  • hmmm...pixelicious
I know I don't really have anything to say about this after 3 year, but I felt that something should be said about all of this just to clear things up.

Through my non-active years I sometimes come here to check up on thing. I still have a big soft spot in my heart for anything Zelda. In those years almost nobody posted new stuff to the ZFGC-style topic. But every time I saw those original mock-ups from .TakaM, I couldn't resist spriting some more. So after all these years I have about lots of designs and wip sprites laying around gathering dust. Until reality sinked in...

There's just now way this can ever be finished. Creating a new style is impossible with so many different people. Everyone has different tastes, thus making it hard to finish anything.
The quality standard that was set by .TakaM and what I tried to keep is quite high, no offence to anyone, but there are only a fistful of users here I thought capable of producing more assets.

As much as I hate to say this (for I still would love to work on this), I think we should let this die. Though if you choose to continue, just know that I'll be watching from afar.

Cheers to you all,
  Broken Arrow
« Reply #234 on: April 03, 2010, 09:46:27 am »
  • hmmm...pixelicious
I know I don't really have anything to say about this after 3 year, but I felt that something should be said about all of this just to clear things up.

Through my non-active years I sometimes come here to check up on thing. I still have a big soft spot in my heart for anything Zelda. In those years almost nobody posted new stuff to the ZFGC-style topic. But every time I saw those original mock-ups from .TakaM, I couldn't resist spriting some more. So after all these years I have about lots of designs and wip sprites laying around gathering dust. Until reality sinked in...

There's just now way this can ever be finished. Creating a new style is impossible with so many different people. Everyone has different tastes, thus making it hard to finish anything.
The quality standard that was set by .TakaM and what I tried to keep is quite high, no offence to anyone, but there are only a fistful of users here I thought capable of producing more assets.

As much as I hate to say this (for I still would love to work on this), I think we should let this die. Though if you choose to continue, just know that I'll be watching from afar.

Cheers to you all,
  Broken Arrow

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #235 on: April 03, 2010, 09:55:32 am »
  • ^Not actually me.

Cheers to you all,
  Broken Arrow

I'm very inclined to agree. .TakaM is an incredibly spriter, and with that in mind, trying to get quality sprites in the spirit of .TakaM's style from people who aren't quite that calibur is asking too much.

That assortment of submitted resources for the style is a good example of what's wrong with something like this :P There are so many varied styles in that... Some people blatantly stole from other games, others made some good attempts, but still fall short.

For example, this doesn't match with

and this has no place with the style at all.

This is pretty much the problem I had with making a new topic and "gathering all of the submissions" into one place. Not all of them should even pass the QA portion of design, and to reassociate them with the style years later as if they're a part of it somewhat demeans the cause. You'd need HEAVY QA on everything in order to even come close to organizing this effort, and that being said I don't think you (random), or many other people here even have the eye for it to manage such a task.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 10:10:59 am by Mamoruanime »
« Reply #236 on: April 03, 2010, 09:50:41 pm »
  • Lionfish App dev
This is a very awesome style, and I'd be happy to help out at some point (holy crap, two things I made are in CG2!). Glad to see people still interested in its revival.
  • Lionfish Apps

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #237 on: April 04, 2010, 01:34:51 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
This is a very awesome style, and I'd be happy to help out at some point (holy crap, two things I made are in CG2!). Glad to see people still interested in its revival.

--V--

Cheers to you all,
  Broken Arrow

Dunno if you missed that :P. And besides, as stated before, discussion should be done entirely in the stickied thread, because there's a lot of very important things said in there that should not be overlooked.
« Reply #238 on: April 04, 2010, 01:40:37 am »
  • Lionfish App dev
I did read that (after I posted derp), and while I can see the points he's making I tend to disagree. People were making very nice looking work before.
  • Lionfish Apps

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #239 on: April 04, 2010, 01:43:53 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
"Very nice work" and "Fits at all into the style" are two different things :P After talking to .TakaM last night about it, and seeing the resources he made for it, and comparing it to some of the other ones, it was doomed from the start. That's not saying that they're not good graphics, but not a single person was on the same page with it :P Everyone tried using Taka's palette instead of thinking outside of the box, so everything in comparison just looks so plain. I think if both .TakaM and BrokenArrow are on board with this just dying, it should probably do just that, and a new style should be started. Start from scratch, try to get something new going. That's not even to say that it would be successful, but it would put everyone on the same page anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 78 queries.

anything