Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 83   Go Down

Author Topic: Horn of Balance  (Read 462052 times)

Re: [Demo] Tech demo - Horn of Balance (working ...
« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2009, 04:13:50 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
I've attached the some screen shots to show how the sparks and dirt look.

I messed up while I was playing through the game and got the ocarina. So I lost my shovel and all I could do was play the shovel game for these shots. Anyway, hope it helps a little.
  • My Music
« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2009, 05:44:45 am »
Okay, excellent. I can work with that.

Niek: If I remember then I'll post the intro story along with the next demo. I can't say when that will be though.
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2009, 07:10:48 pm »
Here is a new demo, since the previous one is no longer usefull.

I mentioned that I would post some story along with the demo, but I sadly don't have the time right now. I've been working on the game all day and I'm kinda beat. I'll have to see when I'll have the time.

So, what's new:
- Digging engine + 2 shovels. The difference is in the randomizing of items.
- Respawning after falling in a pit.
- Bridge shadows (I'd like some feedback on those svp)
- 7 additional rooms to visit
- Some secret action you can do with the boots (post if you actually find this one)
- You can now walk under containers  (= glitch in the previous demo)
- Tweaked the cannonball room / puzzle
- Fixed the credits glitch
- A lot resources are now placed externally (background sounds / character sprites / etc)
- Added the bug catching net
- Fixed a bunch of errors / glitches

I'd appreciate some feedback on the shadows, digging engine and tthe pick-up & throw engine.

PS: I also hid some rupees somewhere in one of the new rooms. Just something I wanted to try to program.

Woops. Wrong demo. I've just corrected the link.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 07:30:15 pm by Martijn dh »
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2009, 05:59:57 pm »
The opening story (as promised). This is just a very tiny part of the entire story, which I won't get into that for obvious reasons.

Story beginning (titelscreen intro):

The story starts with Link living with his uncle in the secluded the south west forest bordering Hyrule. The two usualy spend their days doing hard work like chopping wood and forging metal. It's a peacefull existence.

The sky is clear and the two are sitting about on a tree, enjoying nature and talking. Uncle starts on one of his stories. He has a million of them. Most of them about young hero's, princesses, fools, justice and exploring the world. "Today's story is about a young boy who accidentaly stepped onto a portal, taking him into the sacred world of the goddesses. The boy had heard of this world. About it's green lands and clear skies. What he found however was nothing but darkness and death. As he explored the world, he found that it had the strangest creatures walking about. Unnatural and evil. The water corrupted, the buildings destroyed, the ground almost dead. In the end he arrived at the source of the darkness. An enormous monster hellbend on the power of the world safely in his grasp. He started out human, just like the boy, but the power had corrupted and changed him. Now stronger then ever he had no intention of giving up his hold for the boy. The two fought, and the boy slew down the beast. Claiming his prize, the boy used it to transformed the world back to it's original state. Living happily ever after."

The fables and myths Uncle tells change from day to day but Link likes listening to them all the same. The parent in the villages tell them to their children all the time. It helps the little ones grow just and strong. Helping them distinguish right from wrong and teaching things like bravery and balance. Uncle usualy picks them up when they deliver goods. And sometimes he has his own stories.

After the story both Link and his uncle get back up, ready to return to work. There will be a royal festival coming up soon and they will need to work extra hard if they want to prepare there gift for the king's daugther, Zelda.

Story beginning (ingame):
Link wakes up, grabs his trusted boomerang and meets his uncle outside. Today is the day they will set out for Hyrule Castle. They've worked hard this last week. All in order to forge a masterpiece sword to present to princess Zelda on her 16e birthday. Rumor has it the princess will be considered of age during the festival and that she shall be wed off. Link has never seen this princess, much less set foot far beyond the forest borders. So he is eager to see the castle and help present the gift he too helped craft.

The two leave in the early morning and travel direct for Hyrule Castle. Nearing it's borders they are stopped by some soldiers. Appearently commoners visiting the festival are no longer allowed to carry swords or other weapons by order of the king. Gift or no, the rules are absolute and Uncle can not pursued the soldiers. Feeling there should be more to it he requests to be let by, hoping an adiance with the king will get everything sorted out. Instead he is forcefully taken arrested for his persistance as a suspicous character. The previous sword gets confiscated. The only reason Link is ignored is due to some good words from him Uncle and his young age. The boomerang he is carrying adds to soldiers feeling some pity. Before Uncle get's taken away he is able to tell Link that he should make is own way to the castle town. He still believes all will be right when he speaks with King and thus suggests they will meet again soon.

Uncle and Link had previously decided to meet in the town's square and now Link now takes the longer way around to get to this location hoping everything will already be alright when he arrives.

[Around this point, maybe sooner, will be when you take control of Link and thus this is where my story ends. There is plenty more, but I don't want to spoil anything more]
« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2009, 05:47:55 pm »
Here's a video I made out of boredom today (been sick this week so I've got far too much time on my hands right now). It doesn't show too much more then the last demo but it might be fun to watch if downloading the demo is to much of a hassle.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX1QwfxvDwk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX1QwfxvDwk</a>

Note that this is done in my developers version. The demo doesn't have those colored backgrounds.

Sorry about the lag. My laptop somehow can't seem to handle the game at 30 fps when the recorder is on and it's at fullscreen mode. How is the performance on other computers?

Also sorry about the couple of small glitches you'll see. They took like 5 sec to fix afterwards but yeah.. some always slip through somehow.
« Reply #85 on: October 07, 2009, 06:24:06 pm »
  • Master Of Disaster
Ahh, loved the video! Looks very professional, although the lagging was kinda annoying.
Keep up the good work!

.TakaM was here
  • Lumeuni
« Reply #86 on: October 09, 2009, 05:33:55 pm »
Yeah, the lagging is pretty terrible. :-\

Thanks for the kind words. It's always nice to get a response once in a while.
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2009, 06:17:35 pm »
Just wanted to let you guys know progress will stop to a grinding halt for a while. I met a girl I'm starting to like more and more.... so yeah. Priorities right? Ooh well, it'll make waiting for GMare a lot more bareable.

For those who have been following my progress. Don't worry. I've been working on this for a year now. I finish what I start so do expect to hear more from me again after a while.

In the meantime. Here is a picture of one of the latest rooms I was designing. It's part of the waterworks / sewers below Hyrule castle. This area will be placed before the first dungeon from the demo and will hold some rather straightforward design and obstacles. Nothing too complex as it will be the first (sub)dungeon in the game. (It's still being developed as you can see by the colors here and there)

Raen

Are you retarded or something?
« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2009, 06:24:08 pm »
  • I'm the gosh-darn Batman!
Lookin' good as always, Martijin!

www.myspace.com/applesofidunn

And yes, this is Acid Rain.
« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2009, 07:00:42 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Just wanted to let you guys know progress will stop to a grinding halt for a while. I met a girl I'm starting to like more and more.... so yeah. Priorities right?

Yes yes, most definitely right. I was starting to feel bad that I was barely doing anything (meaning nothing) to help you with your project. Work and college take up most of my time, but I have used my free time to finish my CD cover and logo for the music album I'm making and I'm also in the middle of making the first song for it. On top of that, I've also been working on some custom Link sprites for my game, also finished planning what old and new items I will have in my game, stuff like that. As well as reworking my story and what little of the walkthrough I have.

So, with what free time I've had, I have used it mostly to work on my music and my Zelda game, but I haven't done anything with the project. When I have a break after this quarter of college is over, I will have more free time, so I'm pretty sure your game will get on my priority list again, but for now, it's off of it.

Anyway, when I'm ready to help test again, I'll let you know.

And good luck with your new special girl! ^_^  XD
  • My Music
« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2009, 07:27:23 pm »
Thanks guys. I already had the sewers pretty much worked out (= placements of the rooms and their approximate contents). Like the 1st dungeon floors. I could post that with the 3 others rooms in it on our forum if you're interested.

I also have the plans ready for the actual pushing and pulling of objects and switches. Along with some minor visual additions. So I can always just jump right back in.

You've been busy Frozenfire. If I can help you out for a chance, let me know.
« Reply #91 on: December 14, 2009, 02:09:21 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Hey guys, just an update on the link for the demo.
I KNOW THE LINK FOR THE DEMO IS DEAD.

I have sent Martijn a message, so hopefully he will get it soon and will be able to upload another demo for ya's! ^_^

(And maybe it'll have more content?? Martijn has been a bit busy, so we'll see what happens. :))
  • My Music
« Reply #92 on: December 14, 2009, 06:22:26 pm »
We'll, we just broke up so I might put more time into this hobby again. We'll have to see how things work out this month (with work and all) but I'll definatly continue this.

In the meantime: it's nice to see some interest in the game again. XD
« Reply #93 on: December 14, 2009, 11:30:30 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
I'm really sorry you guys didn't work out Martijn. :(

I do hope you'll have a chance to get another public release soon, but don't kill yourself to do it or anything. :P
  • My Music
« Reply #94 on: December 25, 2009, 12:15:44 pm »
Just wanted to let you guys know that I'm still alive. I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to release another demo at the end of the weekend (v 0.9).
« Reply #95 on: December 25, 2009, 06:38:28 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
Just wanted to let you guys know that I'm still alive. I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to release another demo at the end of the weekend (v 0.9).

Will this demo be in GM8 now?
  • My Music
« Reply #96 on: December 25, 2009, 06:52:14 pm »
Yes.
Any errors or glitches with the previous demo so far?
« Reply #97 on: December 25, 2009, 07:18:26 pm »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
None so far. It seems pretty solid. However, I haven't done a whole lot of testing because of Christmas stuff, work, life in general, and some family things (my grandpa died almost a week ago). It's been a little crazy to say to say the least.

And now it's Christmas time for me. So I won't be doing any testing for a few days. Actually, I should be getting off of ZFGC to get ready for all of the stuff with the family. :P

Good luck on v 0.9!
  • My Music

Ethelon

Awesome Resized Avys
« Reply #98 on: December 25, 2009, 07:29:52 pm »
eh, can someone upload to something other than whff since it's down?

Thanks

Xfixium: "Leader"/Lead Programmer/Lead Spriter,  Cypras: Programmer, Ethelon: Tiler/Spriter, Darklink45: Spriter, Noseblunt3: Spriter,
SinkinDevil: Spriter, Dotyue: Spriter, Tompel: Tiler/Spriter, 
Mamoruanime: Tiler, DJvenom: Spriter
« Reply #99 on: December 25, 2009, 07:30:14 pm »
My condolences.
No worries about the demo and such. I'm sure we'll talk again afterwards.

Ethelon: That's why I'm working on finishing the next demo this weekend. Because the previous demo is lost. I'll make it more clear in the starting post.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2009, 07:38:19 pm by Martijn dh »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 83   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 74 queries.