Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Its comforting to know that Coldplay stole all its music  (Read 3554 times)

Its comforting to know that Coldplay stole all i...
« on: January 10, 2009, 02:47:08 am »
  • Wooper Don't Give a !@#$%
Viva La Vida
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvB9Pj9Znsw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvB9Pj9Znsw</a>

Talk
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caXWqvyJtz0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caXWqvyJtz0</a>

I don't have any more examples but those two alone make me have zero respect for Coldplay, even if Talk is better than Computer Love.
ROLL TIDE WHAT? **** YOU!!! Geaux Tiga

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
  • Gamers & Developers Unlimited

DJvenom

super-sage
Re: Its comforting to know that Coldplay stole a...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 03:00:23 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
Borrowing riffs is cool, but blatant theft is pretty lame.
* DJvenom takes 2 star chips from Coldplay.

Great! Only 7 more star chips to get to Pegasus' castle.
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 03:02:01 am »
Well, the Talk / Computer Love similarity is obviously there, yeah.  But that's not theft, they admit that one, and it's more of a tribute than anything else.

As for the other one, sounds similar, but it's definitely not the same thing. =/  One chord progression similarity does not the same song make.

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 03:14:45 am »
  • Colbydude was here.
B...but I don't want to give the star chips back... It's the only way I can save my grandpa.
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 03:15:16 am »
Well, the Talk / Computer Love similarity is obviously there, yeah.  But that's not theft, they admit that one, and it's more of a tribute than anything else.

As for the other one, sounds similar, but it's definitely not the same thing. =/  One chord progression similarity does not the same song make.

You're totally ignoring that the whole melody is a copy. Some guy on YouTube transcribed the Satriani song to Fb which is the key Viva la Vida is in and compared the compisition of the two, and Coldplay uses the exact same riffs with the last measure in reverse, essentially making it the same thing in everything but key. If you have the same tempo, melody, and harmony, chances are, you have the same song.

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 03:45:06 am »

You're totally ignoring that the whole melody is a copy. Some guy on YouTube transcribed the Satriani song to Fb which is the key Viva la Vida is in and compared the compisition of the two, and Coldplay uses the exact same riffs with the last measure in reverse, essentially making it the same thing in everything but key. If you have the same tempo, melody, and harmony, chances are, you have the same song.
Agreed. They also said in an interview once "we are terribly unoriginal, we're just really good copy cats" cant remember where that was from.

Satch is my hero, but I'm not being biased. I also like coldplay.
We may be human. But we're still animals.

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 03:50:28 pm »
  • b e p i s
Still a great band. :P
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 04:01:31 pm »
  • Wu tang Forever
The viva la vida one is !@#$%. If you take into account that rock songs (especially for written for guitar) only use a handful of keys, and that nearly every rock song uses I IV V, it's likely that two will use the same key and sound the same.
Plus the melodies aren't the same. They are similar, due to the fact that they're the same key, but not the same.

Fox

Turnbeutelvergesser since 1988.
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 07:07:16 am »
oh god not this !@#$% again

The viva la vida one is !@#$%. If you take into account that rock songs (especially for written for guitar) only use a handful of keys, and that nearly every rock song uses I IV V, it's likely that two will use the same key and sound the same.
Plus the melodies aren't the same. They are similar, due to the fact that they're the same key, but not the same.

This. When every other idiot tries to be big and releases a song, it's hard to come up with something new. I'm not entirely sure they did NOT steal, but so far I'm on the "not-stealing"-site.

Besides, it's actually IMPOSSIBLE to be completely original. There are things that just sound good and since you (and the members of coldplay, too) are human beings, you just end up coming up with these things.

Remember Goodnight's topic about the golden ratio in music? It's just like that.

Now cut this !@#$% out. "IF YOU PUT THAT TEMPO DOWN ADD A NOTE THERE AND AND AND UH PUT IT ALL AN OCTAVE HIGHER THEN IT ALMOST JUST SOUNDS ALIKE FOR TWO SECONDS THEY STOLE."

Jesus christ. You people and your conspiracy-stuff.

B...but I don't want to give the star chips back... It's the only way I can save my grandpa.

Some people need them more than you, you ignorant !@#$%.

• Me on deviantART
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 09:12:50 pm »
  • Master Of Disaster
Coldplay has amazing original songs, you can't deny that.
And the only song that is obviously inspired by someone else, is talk. I admit that much, but it's pretty stupid to claim that they steal all their music. Because that is obviously not the case.

.TakaM was here
  • Lumeuni
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 10:23:10 pm »
I never even heard of coldplay... :o But it's lame to see a band stealing music/lyrics and acting like it's their own song.
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 11:24:38 pm »
  • And if they dont dance, they're no friend of mine
I don't think Coldplay steal their music, but by gosh I hate that band.

Art by Kyuumu, banner by me
Screw this, im off to Hogwarts...
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 04:49:43 pm »
  • ざわ
Ahhh I'll try not to say anything too subjective, since I am a huuuge fan of  Coldplay... hm.

Not gonna talk about Talk & Computer Love, as it was said, that was openly admitted to be inspired by it.

Concerning Viva La Vida, there are thousands of songs out there that sound pretty similar to others. Maybe they stole it. Maybe they didn't.
I can't count how many times it has happened to me that I wrote something, let it be a story, a poem or song, and later found out that it sounded pretty much like something else. Sometimes something I loved and got inspired by without realising it, but sometimes it wasn't even something I knew, and only found out about it afterwards.
What I'm trying to say this, things like that happen. To anyone. And Viva La Vida is still one of Coldplay's best songs, imo, and although it might sound a tiny bit like that other song there, it's still completely different. It's still "Coldplay".

Anyhow, even if they stole, I'll admit it sucks - but that's not gonna stop me from loving them and their music.
sup.
  • My Website [german]
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 11:08:29 pm »

They're not the same key, but when transcribed they end up nearly identical with some minor differences in placement of notes, not nearly enough to have "your own flavor."

Besides, it's actually IMPOSSIBLE to be completely original.

I find it quite easy to write something that nobody else has written word for word. Its not any different in music. You can change word order up a little bit, but you've still plagiarized.

You could make the argument that all Coldplay did was sample If I Could Fly. That argument doesn't hold air under its wings because you need to have legal permission to do something like that.

In the end, anyone competent's going to have Coldplay pay royalties to Satch. Is it omg the biggest thing evar? Nah. Does cheating !@#$% me off? Yeah. Is plagiarizing cheating? You betchya.

Now cut this !@#$% out. "IF YOU PUT THAT TEMPO DOWN ADD A NOTE THERE AND AND AND UH PUT IT ALL AN OCTAVE HIGHER THEN IT ALMOST JUST SOUNDS ALIKE FOR TWO SECONDS THEY STOLE."

Dude, take some music theory classes. Please.

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 09:24:24 am »
  • And if they dont dance, they're no friend of mine

Dude, take some music theory classes. Please.

I have limited Musical Theory knowledge, but Walnut100, learn some.
Anyway, personally I think it was a mistake, for instance I was jamming on guitar and thought I'd found a really cool melody: Later on my iPod was on shuffle and it turned out the melody was exactly the same as the vocal melody to "Unintended" by Muse. I guess it was just trapped in my subconscious.

Art by Kyuumu, banner by me
Screw this, im off to Hogwarts...

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 02:24:11 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
Just a little update here, Satch is suing Coldplay by the way.

Also, a little side not, Muse also has the same problem at least one of their songs. The keyboard part of Bliss is "stolen" (I'm not sure if it's perfectly the same) from an old NES or something game. Check it out on YouTube. Bliss is undeniably a good song though.

lol Coldplay.
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2009, 07:56:54 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
It's not very surprising that coldplay steals their music; they're not a good band to begin with O_O

I don't even really get why people are so <3 over Muse too, but eh... I guess it's just not my style D:

Either way; Coldplay blows, but a lot of bands do that too; as previously mentioned, it's that golden ratio.

Now help me stuff this potroast into this candle.

Fox

Turnbeutelvergesser since 1988.
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2009, 03:39:59 am »
Suddenly everyone noticed that someone else stole their stuff.

Oh, by the way, completely unrelated, but how long after the songs have been released have the "original creators" been complaining? Can't tell me they didn't instantly hear the song when such a famous band releases new stuff.

Geez Louise.
  • Me on deviantART
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2009, 06:43:26 pm »
Suddenly everyone noticed that someone else stole their stuff.

Oh, by the way, completely unrelated, but how long after the songs have been released have the "original creators" been complaining? Can't tell me they didn't instantly hear the song when such a famous band releases new stuff.

Geez Louise.

Not everyone listens to new songs when a band releases it.

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2009, 06:47:53 pm »
I just noticed:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXk6pYkfknQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXk6pYkfknQ</a>
Kid Rock - American Badass

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMqbiMUmCo4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMqbiMUmCo4</a>
Metallica - Sad But True

...?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.218 seconds with 77 queries.