Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about Electric Guitar  (Read 1609 times)

Question about Electric Guitar
« on: May 03, 2008, 10:49:34 pm »
  • :'O
How do I make my guitar make sounds when I run my fingers across the strings?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjA5faZF1A8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjA5faZF1A8</a>

Like that guy plucks a string then runs his finger across it and it continues making sounds. Whenever I do that it just stops :(

Do you have to use the whammy?

Edit: I have a Starcaster by Fender
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 10:52:18 pm by Ali »
Re: Question about Electric Guitar
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 11:50:08 pm »
  • You're the yellow bird that I've been waiting for.
Which part of the video specifically are you referring too? The beginning?
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 11:56:56 pm »
Which part of the video specifically are you referring too? The beginning?
yeah the beginning when he like rubs his finger on the strings after picking them just once and the sound continues
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 12:03:23 am »
He's actually just bending the string. It's called by vibrato and no you don't need to have a whammy bar to do it, but it's essentially the same thing that a whammy bar does. Rather than explain it through words videos would help much more. Maybe this will explain it a bit better: http://youtube.com/watch?v=-KMrR_LqrOE&feature=related
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 12:19:42 am »
Oh I see. Wouldn't it be easier to use the whammy bar though?
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 12:23:17 am »
Well a whammy bar produces a different sound (kinda more extreme) and depending on the setup you're using it could screw up your tuning. Also the whammy is used for a lot more effects such as dive bombs and the weird noises that bands like Dragonforce make. Also the whammy bar setups that do keep you in tune restrict you from tuning to other tuning easily which is why I don't buy guitars with edge-pros or floyd-rose tremolos.
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 12:26:01 am »
Ahaha I didn't understand most of what you just said :P

However when I pull the strings I always hit the string below or above it and it causes that string to make a sound and ruin the song =/
You have a solution? My fingers are a little big I don't think they are THAT big.
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 12:31:15 am »
Yeah, I remember having the same problem. Maybe trying being more gentle when doing it. Really watch your left hand and try to observe everything you're doing make sure you're not pressing down too hard on the string and also try to using the tips of your finger, not the bottoms if that makes any sense :/
« Last Edit: May 04, 2008, 12:38:41 am by whitechapel »
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 12:46:41 am »
  • Wooper Don't Give a !@#$%
Walnut's Solution: Practice more. Practice fixes all your problems with almost anything. Make sure you experiment some when you practice until you think you're going in the right direction with it.
ROLL TIDE WHAT? **** YOU!!! Geaux Tiga

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
  • Gamers & Developers Unlimited
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 12:52:41 am »
Walnut's Solution: Practice more. Practice fixes all your problems with almost anything. Make sure you experiment some when you practice until you think you're going in the right direction with it.
No !@#$% sherlock
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 03:06:33 pm »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.
Yes, this is bending. Bending is one of the most useful guitar methods that you can do, in my opinion.

Think of it like this. When you are bending the string, you are actually making the note that you are playing higher. If you bend it more, than the note will become higher than before. This Vibrato, I believe, is bending and unbending the string to produce that sound.
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 03:36:51 pm »
  • Wooper Don't Give a !@#$%
No !@#$% sherlock

No, I mean actually practicing. Some people practice, and then some people practice. You want to practice, not practice.
ROLL TIDE WHAT? **** YOU!!! Geaux Tiga

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
  • Gamers & Developers Unlimited
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 03:51:58 pm »
  • Don't Worry Sir, I'm From The Internet.
No !@#$% sherlock

No, I mean actually practicing. Some people practice, and then some people practice. You want to practice, not practice.
I do agree. Genuinely practicing helps so much more than just picking it up every few days and playing a few notes or something. Devote your life to the guitar. Love the guitar. BE THE GUITAR...well, thats getting a little carried away, but I get what you are saying.  :P
Grimace is the demiurge, the creator. From him all things in McDonaldland have sprung. He is not a sin, he's not a menu item, he's just Grimace. He exists. He rolls his lidless eyes and flaps his lipless mouth, formless and terrible, a protean idiot thing from the depths of pre-history.
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2008, 11:39:52 pm »
No !@#$% sherlock
Don't be a DICK, you wanted advice, he gave you good advice.

.TakaM was here.
so my friend stole a giant bag of ketchup out of the ketchup pumping things and brought it to our table and we took it in the bathroom and i smashed it over the sink and kicked it around the bathroom and smeared it everywhere and we all took turns kicking the ketchup out of it and when we were done it looked like an african village was murdered in the bathroom
XFD.
  • Awesome Land
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 02:52:43 am »
No !@#$% sherlock
Don't be a !@#$%, you wanted advice, he gave you good advice.
No he didn't the only one being a !@#$% here is you, since you came... with no advice
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 66 queries.