Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: My Game Maker 7 rant!  (Read 15878 times)

Re: My Game Maker 7 rant!
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2007, 08:59:49 am »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
C# vs C++, these things come down to personal preference (some people still program in C despite C++ being around). Someone named after a certain planet can't complain too much about C# because of the Mono version of the .net framework which means in theory C# programs should be able to compile on Linux. But I'm sure Microsoft has patented some parts of the network, which can cause legal trouble so some rewriting of code would most likely be required. Still, from what little port-code I've seen it usually does have to be rewritten slightly for different Operating systems :P

Back to GM, I personally never really liked it much so never really got into using it :P
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 09:07:58 am by TheDarkJay »

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2007, 09:19:33 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
C# vs C++, these things come down to personal preference (some people still program in C despite C++ being around). Someone named after a certain planet can't complain too much about C# because of the Mono version of the .net framework which means in theory C# programs should be able to compile on Linux. But I'm sure Microsoft has patented some parts of the network, which can cause legal trouble so some rewriting of code would most likely be required. Still, from what little port-code I've seen it usually does have to be rewritten slightly for different Operating systems :P

Back to GM, I personally never really liked it much so never really got into using it :P

lol it all breaks down into the same assembly code :p (well, at least VB.net and C#, not sure of the rest <_<); so I'm sure its portable one way or another :P... I like C# personally, but C++ always appeared... far too complicated at a glance to me :P... So I never really put much time into it... I like C# because it simplistic enough to break apart a chunk of code and know what its doing even without knowledge of C# (well, SOME code); whereas C++ always threw out some stuff I just cant decipher at a glance :p...

XD and yes, GM sucks, to stay on topic lol
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2007, 10:04:56 am »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
I'm pretty sure you still need the .net framework to run .net programs though :P

EDIT:
Quote from: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-US/library/bb464156.aspx Distributing a finished XNA game
In addition to the requirements listed in the previous table, there are additional software prerequisites that must be installed on a player's machine if the computer does not have XNA Game Studio Express installed. If these files are not installed and the player's machine does not have XNA Game Studio Express installed, your game will not run.

You are responsible for installation of the following software packages on the player's machine.
      The .NET Framework 2.0 Redistributable.
      The XNA Framework Redistributable corresponding to the version your game was built against.

Back to stay on topic:
GM is decent for people who can't be bothered to make good games learn a language like C++ or C#, but if a person lacks the patience to do that, surely they also lack the patience to make a large-scale game in GM anyway?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 10:12:16 am by TheDarkJay »
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2007, 10:12:08 am »
  • 笑い男
i just spent last night trying out C# with microsoft's visual studio C# and tight butthole, it's awesome o_o

i love it lol
and especially with visual studio's auto completion which is like or better rather than GM's (the thing at the bottom of the code) and it's help and all the editors other user friendly features which make's it great to use
but the language of course is what counts and so far, it seems like the best thing i've ever seen :x lol

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2007, 10:14:38 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Mauahahahahahahaha another brought over to the DARK SIDE! lol...

But yeah, C# makes me happy... lol XNA is nice too since it has console portability :p
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2007, 10:17:41 am »
  • 笑い男
i'm so happy that i've been able to get DirectX to actually work ok as well, was hell in C++ >_<
now just to find some GOOD tutorials that dont end leaving me bearly anywhere :x lol

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #46 on: October 13, 2007, 10:18:47 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
lol yeah, I have that problem... tutorials :\...

PScode.com should offer some in C# (I believe)... if not, I have a huge PDF for "beginning C# game development (with no C# knowledge necessary!) lol...
« Reply #47 on: October 13, 2007, 10:22:45 am »
  • 笑い男
http://www.csharp-station.com/Tutorials/Lesson01.aspx
seems good for C# basic stuff, but i wouldn't really call it a tutorial as such but more of a list of all of the basics or whatever, but maybe that was just me not really finding it too easy to all take in at 5am lol

But that stuff shouldn't really be a problem now, but the DirectX stuff will be >_<

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #48 on: October 13, 2007, 01:56:23 pm »
I just searched for "C#" on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_sharp) and...
C# sounded more practical to me, but C++ seemed to be much more flexible.
I mean, how come there is no multiple inheritance in C#? Or global variables? Or integer conditionals?
.__. mah. </3
« Reply #49 on: October 13, 2007, 02:13:32 pm »
Yeh I personally have to say I prefer C#, the only real downfall is its lack of portability and the still somewhat limited distribution of the .NET framework on target computers. C++ is great if you after low level control, and extreme portability but I've always found it horribly overcompilcated and ofusicated for the job that its meant to do. C# is basically just a cleaned up version of C++ with a more cleaned up OOP approach, unlike C++'s rather messy OOP approach.

I mean, how come there is no multiple inheritance in C#? Or global variables? Or integer conditionals?
multiple inheritance = Use iterfaces, multiple ingeritance is rather unnecessaray and messy.
global variables = Just declare them in a static class, works the same, more tidy.
integer conditionals = What do you mean by that? I've never heard someone using that phrase before.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 02:18:24 pm by Infinitus »
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2007, 02:24:22 pm »
  • 笑い男
haha yes, C# is cleaner than C++. i think that sums things up nicely from what i've seen so far XD

wikipedia really seems to just head for 100% technically correctness without caring about user friendlyness :/

also, this has to be the best DX tutorial for beginners using C# that I've found and it seems like using the main base of the game would be a very good template also
http://www.kalme.de/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=4&id=14&Itemid=26
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 02:28:40 pm by hawthorneluke »

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #51 on: October 13, 2007, 02:53:26 pm »
integer conditionals = What do you mean by that? I've never heard someone using that phrase before.
It's 'cause in C# all conditionals have to be boolean. As in:
Code: [Select]
bool a = true;
if a
{
}

but in C++ it they can also be an integer. 0 = false and everything that is not 0 = true.

int a = 5;
if a
{
}
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2007, 03:05:21 pm »
  • 笑い男
there's something wrong with using

if (a>0){

? O_o

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2007, 03:25:26 pm »
there's something wrong with using

if (a>0){

? O_o
No, I'm just too lazy to write ">0" lol
Seriously though, it's okay to have to write ">0", but why remove the feature? :\ I believe that, the most flexible the language is, the better. I don't care if it makes the language more complicated.
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2007, 05:19:38 pm »
It's 'cause in C# all conditionals have to be boolean. As in:
bool a = true;
if a
{
}

but in C++ it they can also be an integer. 0 = false and everything that is not 0 = true.

int a = 5;
if a
{
}

Actually that C++ is boolean. All expressions in 99% of languages evaluate to boolean values. Basically the c++ compiler in that case is just saying 'Ok I have a variable name but no operator, so I'm going to check if its equal to null (0 in integer)'.

Either way, who cares? Doing things like that is bad practive anyway.

Silvanesti

« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2007, 05:49:06 pm »
I\'ve been reading alot about C# and C++ and I\'m wondering what zfgc\'s take on it is? Should I learn C# or C++? Or a more simple coding language first? I already know GML... but I need something better.
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2007, 06:42:18 pm »
Well... since you already know GML... you should learn C/C++/C#. C++ is better than C, but they say C++ is more complicated than C#, although it is more flexible... What do you prefer, the easier or the more flexible one?
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2007, 07:06:42 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
I'd say if you are a hobbyist go for C#, if you want to go professional and work for a company go for either but be prepared to learn C++ either way, it is pretty much the industry standard language now, and the one usually taught in Computer Science at University :P
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2007, 07:17:04 pm »
Don't use DirectX, XNA, C#... EVER!!!

Unless you want you want your apps to be stuck with MS. Whenever possible (and sometimes when it's not ;)) MAKE YOUR PROGRAMS AS CROSS PLATFORM AS POSSIBLE. I'm not kidding, more devs need to realize this.

>:(
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2007, 07:20:47 pm »
  • (y)(;>.<;)(y)
Wondered how long it'd take for one of you to show up...

You remind me of them annoying Jehovah's Witnesses, who do not realise for every 1 person they convert, 100 more are given a reason to hate Christianity.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 90 queries.