Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: GAME JAM GAMES ARE HERE  (Read 13301 times)

GAME JAM GAMES ARE HERE
« on: September 02, 2014, 11:50:23 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
HEY GUYS!! PLAY SOME FORKIN' GAME JAM GAMES!!!

We've got 3 great submissions (yes that means everyone is walking out of this with a prize)!

First on the list is...!

GORON DIGGERS
By Walnut and Foreshadower!
http://zfgc.com/uploads/game_jam_14/GoronDiggersBeta.zip

DIG YOUR WAY TO VICTORY!!!

Up next iss....!

MARCH OF THE GORONS
By Rayo and Martijn dh!
http://zfgc.com/uploads/game_jam_14/march%20of%20the%20gorons.rar

MARCH BITCHES, MARCH!!!

And finally..!

LINK QUEST
By Mamoruanime!
http://zfgc.com/uploads/game_jam_14/GoronJam.zip

GET GOIN' LINK, YOU GOT GORON WORK TO DO!!

So please enjoy these games while we figure out how the hell we're going to judge them ;) They're all fantastic so this is going to be a tough call for us.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
Re: GAME JAM GAMES ARE HERE
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 11:55:25 pm »
  • ^Not actually me.
Woooo!

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 12:06:42 am »
  • www.mouffers.com
I just played all three! Good job folks.
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 12:10:47 am »
I see someone really liked the Lemnings games.

:P

Also, if anyone can get multiplayer on Goron Diggers working, let us now.  :D
We were not able to do Port Forwarding on our routers(a cell phone tether and Walnut's wireless router).

EDIT: Just played the other two games.  wow
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 12:28:40 am by Theforeshadower »
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 01:19:33 am »
omg, I love all the games so easy and simple to play :P, good job everyone, I am somewhat sad that we didn't make it on time.. here is a small teaser of what I had come up with..

testing the tiles:

and boss mockup:

I will probably dump everything in another thread, and congratz to the ones who completed their game, making a game in one month is really hard, so goodluck to whomever wins!.
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 05:29:26 am »
For those that want to playtest March of the Gorons:
The game includes 18 levels and even 3 "bosses". Because we had too little time left to polish and playtest fully we left in our level skip testersfunction (=press Q) just in case some levels are too hard or can not be completed.
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 03:41:40 pm »
  • Let's do this.
Woooo!

You should have named the game Shovel Link!! :D
@Kren Wow, looks like a really cool bossfight! Maybe you can do the game playable and release it later? It's sad that it is not on the list.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 04:06:30 pm by Rayo »
This is one of many tales Hylian lore speaks of...

Click here to check out my Deviantart!
  • Zelda Time Walker
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 04:51:32 pm »
  • Wooper Don't Give a !@#$%
Quick note on Goron Digger's online mode (instructions really since it's not totally clear from within the game itself)

- Host does what it implies - you pick it and you become the host for the game (The server)
- Then three clients choose join and enter your IP which you can find at a website like http://www.whatismyip.com/
- As soon as all four clients are connected together, the game automatically begins
- We noticed at the end of development when it was too late to change things that GameMaker's networking is heavily dependent on port forwarding (at least the way I implemented it is - this isn't necessarily universal because GameMaker has proprietary functions for netcode)

If you want to see what the online mode WOULD have looked like (And I encourage the judges to at least since it's half the game) all you have to do is:
- Open four instances of the game locally (One computer)
- Have one window hit Host and three hit Join
- Choose 127.0.0.1 as your IP to connect to

The game will begin and you can see what it would've looked like (It's a little rougher than Training but has its own charm to it imo)

Today I'm going to try to play the other two entries too. I think it's awesome we got as many as we did in and I'm sad I won't get to play DJ's entry (scrapped) or gm/Kren's (Couldn't get a build in time) :( They looked cool
ROLL TIDE WHAT? **** YOU!!! Geaux Tiga

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
  • Gamers & Developers Unlimited
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 07:26:56 pm »
Congratz all for the games ! I will try them all for sure :).
I tried working on an entry myself, but I lacked motivation and got busy with other stuff  :'(

- We noticed at the end of development when it was too late to change things that GameMaker's networking is heavily dependent on port forwarding (at least the way I implemented it is - this isn't necessarily universal because GameMaker has proprietary functions for netcode)

I don't think I fully grasped the problem here ; if you host a server behind a router, you must configure the router to forward ports to your server, and thus whatever the game/software.
I don't really see what it has to do with your code or how GM handles networking  :huh:
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 08:11:54 pm »
I tried working on an entry myself, but I lacked motivation and got busy with other stuff  :'(

I don't think I fully grasped the problem here ; if you host a server behind a router, you must configure the router to forward ports to your server, and thus whatever the game/software.
I don't really see what it has to do with your code or how GM handles networking  :huh:

Sorry, but as far as we read there is no mention of port forwarding needed inthe GMS manual.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 09:11:17 pm »
Sorry, but as far as we read there is no mention of port forwarding needed inthe GMS manual.

That confuses me even more  XD

Oh well, i'll give a shot at multiplayer in ure game this week end if I get the time !
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 10:25:42 pm »

This is actually correct -- Forwarding the port is going to be necessary in many cases when behind a router due to the NAT protocol.  It doesn't have much to do with GM rather than it does with TCP/IP and network infrastructure.

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 10:58:34 pm »
  • Wooper Don't Give a !@#$%
Yeah but I read something about it being even more finnicky on GameMaker even still which is why I brought it up

If I'd thought about it there are better methods I could've used but what's done is done
ROLL TIDE WHAT? **** YOU!!! Geaux Tiga

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
  • Gamers & Developers Unlimited
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 03:24:24 pm »
Unfortunately, we were stuck between a rock(Walnut having Standard/Free) and a hard place(mr not knowing anything about networking) with regards to the online code. 

Free GMS allowed only TCP connections(what Walnut worked with).  We could have tried UDP, but then everytime a compile was needed, I would have to be the one to compile as I own GMS Professional.

THere are probably several other options available but just too much going on for me personally during August.  :/
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 06:24:32 pm »
UDP won't help you, you still need to do NAT punchthrough if you don't want to port-forward. I doubt GM supports it as you typically need a intermediary server to do so.

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2014, 06:25:31 pm »
UDP won't help you, you still need to do NAT punchthrough if you don't want to port-forward. I doubt GM supports it as you typically need a intermediary server to do so.

Another GM coder created a library for GMS that does all the punch-throughs for you.  We didn't find this out until the last day, though.

xD
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2014, 02:15:38 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I'm incredibly curious of what everybody's first playthrough completion time and death count is for Link Quest! I've gotten my completion time down to ~10 minutes with 0 deaths, but that makes sense because I made it hehehehh.... The primary tester (Alan Wansom of Cryamore) gets around 13 to 15 minutes per completion IIRC (I don't remember his exact time). I'm guessing the average first time playthrough is going to be around 30 minutes, so I implore all of you: If you have 30 minutes, play through it start to finish and post your completion times~
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 06:38:04 am by Mamoruanime »
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2014, 12:10:39 am »
I played through a little bit of each of the entered games and really liked how different they were compared to each other; i.e., lots of variety, each one has features that stand out on their own. The green Goron in Goron Diggers is a beast but the concept is well done, I liked the puzzle stuff in March of the Gorons, and Link's Quest... Mamoruanime you done good, I like the platforming but haven't managed to clear much of the game yet.

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2014, 05:56:49 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Curious-

Did anyone actually beat Link Quest? <_<
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2014, 02:49:37 pm »
I came close!! :(

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 76 queries.