Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Extend "Recent Posts" to show ten posts instead of five  (Read 2752 times)

Extend "Recent Posts" to show ten posts instead ...
« on: October 03, 2008, 03:51:50 am »
  • I just saved Hyrule! I'd say that's worth a kiss.
I just think this would be a good idea. I mean, 80% of the topics I start posting in are discovered through the recent posts listing at the forum's main page. this would help keep stuff there for longer, any time the forum gets a little busy (lawl as if).

Hell, make it an option. I just want to be able to see...EVERYTHING.

Any reasons why not, aside from the fact it'd take a bit of effort to do?
I can't imagine why anyone would think this is a bad idea, but someone prolly wont like it. :/
To that person(s), I ask, why?

We may as well call it "Small Forum Populated by a Few People Who Make Fangames, Mostly About Zelda, But More Often Talk About Other Nintendo Franchises Central"
"SFPFPWMF,MAZ,BMOTAONFC" for short.
Re: Extend "Recent Posts" to show ten posts inst...
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 03:55:44 am »
I like it when people post in topics that are temporally popular and I like it when the vertical height of the page itself doesn't have to increase for small things - I just use the recent posts link to see everything that has been recently posted.  I looked more into it, and it might not make the page that much taller, but meh.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 03:57:33 am by 4Sword »
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 03:59:03 am »
I like it when people post in topics that are temporally popular and I like it when the vertical height of the page itself doesn't have to increase for small things - I just use the recent posts link to see everything that has been recently posted.
Wait, I'm still not clear if you LIKE or DISLIKE this idea. Since, you know, this would increase page heigth a tiny bit, but it would also inspire a small increase in posting (I imagine).
 :huh:

We may as well call it "Small Forum Populated by a Few People Who Make Fangames, Mostly About Zelda, But More Often Talk About Other Nintendo Franchises Central"
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2008, 04:02:57 am »
  • ๏̯͡๏﴿
It's good the way it is and the way it is is the way it should stay.
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2008, 04:05:26 am »
Well, looking back, it would help out during when the forum is more than usually active because the recent posts list would not be dominated by one topic - i.e. when I have a one-on-one conversation with someone in a topic I made, it dominates the recent posts list.  This is bad in that other topics do not get the attention, but in some cases like the one I alluded to, it gets attention to the topic. 

Having more ten topics shown on that list might lead to some more posting, but even with five, there are times when it appears that the forum is a ghost town.  Increasing the number of topics shown would make us look like a ghost village.  Synchronizing it on the site would make the site seem a little awkward.  Encouraging people to look around rather than just to focus their attention on what people deem to be currently popular leads to more activity in other areas.

What I am getting at is that in my mind it doesn't add enough to make the change worth it, I could be wrong, but meh, well yeah, I tend to be, but so be it.

Ryan

The only Canadian?
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2008, 04:09:03 am »
I'm not gonna read the posts because I just need the title to say what I want to say.

Personally I think 5 is perfect.
10 is way to much and it would look really stupid I think.
If you really want to know the recent posts click the "Unread posts" button.
  • Likes to Ramble
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 04:13:30 am »
  • Super Hero Time!
Five is enough.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 04:16:35 am »
Well, looking back, it would help out during when the forum is more than usually active because the recent posts list would not be dominated by one topic - i.e. when I have a one-on-one conversation with someone in a topic I made, it dominates the recent posts list.  This is bad in that other topics do not get the attention, but in some cases like the one I alluded to, it gets attention to the topic. 

Having more ten topics shown on that list might lead to some more posting, but even with five, there are times when it appears that the forum is a ghost town.  Increasing the number of topics shown would make us look like a ghost village.  Synchronizing it on the site would make the site seem a little awkward.  Encouraging people to look around rather than just to focus their attention on what people deem to be currently popular leads to more activity in other areas.

What I am getting at is that in my mind it doesn't add enough to make the change worth it, I could be wrong, but meh, well yeah, I tend to be, but so be it.

Interesting thought! I had another one: The listing would show all the posts from within the last hour, up to a maximum of ten. If there were only three posts made in the last hour, it'll show three. if there were 34 posts in the previous hour, it'd show the last 10.

There could also be a minimum number of posts shown, like 3 or 5 or something, if activity was low. if nobody's posted for the last 3 hours, it'd just show the last 3 or 4 or 5 posts made or whatever. WHATEVER.

Also, failing that....everyone could just POST MORE SO WE WONT LOOK LIKE A GHOST FORUM.

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 04:23:40 am »
  • Super Hero Time!
Interesting thought! I had another one: The listing would show all the posts from within the last hour, up to a maximum of ten. If there were only three posts made in the last hour, it'll show three. if there were 34 posts in the previous hour, it'd show the last 10.

There could also be a minimum number of posts shown, like 3 or 5 or something, if activity was low. if nobody's posted for the last 3 hours, it'd just show the last 3 or 4 or 5 posts made or whatever. WHATEVER.

Easier said than done.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 04:24:40 am »
The neat thing about the current system is that if a user wants to see what is active beyond the five most recent posts, they can get that information if they so look for it.  While your last idea is interesting in that during extremely active hours it would show more topics that are active and this would be beneficial in that purpose, the forum itself is not really ever extremely active, and making people think it is more active to get them to post more isn't really that likely of a scenario.  Thus, unless a significant number of active users see the idea as a good one, changing the system isn't necessary.

Hammer Bro. Mike

Hammer Bro. Mike
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2008, 10:48:07 pm »
  • The Mike
I'd say extend it. It's not going to kill anybody and it's not that big of a deal.

• Zelda Eternity
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 10:51:50 pm »
*shrugs* There you go, 8, thats a compromise. See how it goes.
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 11:05:01 pm »
Do I...do I pay you now or something?
*slowly motions to remove Infini's trousers*

XD Kidding, Thank you Infini! I love you long time!11!!11!!

Edit: Yay, 100 posts!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 01:27:43 am by Aliento »

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 11:31:47 pm »
Do I...do I pay you now or something?
*slowly motions to remove Infini's trousers*

XD Kidding, Thank you Infini! I love you long time!11!!11!!

Someday, and that day may never come, I'll call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day - accept this justice as a gift on my [insert-person]'s wedding day.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 62 queries.