Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: menu select mockup  (Read 8550 times)

menu select mockup
« on: November 16, 2015, 03:58:35 am »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Took it upon myself to take a shot at this.  Used a background from Minish cap and made my own buttons.  Just a mockup obviously.  Thoughts?

To the right of each file would show which cogs you've collected.  Didn't include them here since we don't have sprites for them

i love big weenies and i cannot lie

pxl_moon (dotyue)

Team Dekunutz
Re: menu select mockup
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 04:16:40 am »
  • .越//
maybe it should fit the theme of the game...

"King of Thiefs" so when you read this you think of:

1: The Gerudo King

Desert, Red/Yellow brownish Colors

Maybe a "OoT2D" type of screen with Desert instead of Grassland

2: Darkness (Thiefing & Ganon)

Night, Blueish/Violette dark Colors

A Nightsky Background

3: Combining 1-2

A Desert Night, Blueish dark Colors with Golden Corners

A Desert with a Nightsky, Arabian Nights Themed like Alladin or Prince of Persia

_____

I assume that you go there from the Titlesceen (Title-> Select Start->Menu)

_____

Just a few Theme thoughts to go by, would need a little bit custom Sprites but i'm sure there are some who can handle a desert bg :P

~~Resources~~
~Minish Cap Style~

Minish Cap Beta:Firerod Icon, Majoras Mask:ChuChu, Ocarina of Time:Gossip Stone, Oracle Series:Link plays the "Herpes of Ages", Impa, Wand Maker: HUD
~GB-Zelda Style~
Ocarina of Time: Deku Caca
~Other~
Paper Mario Style Zelda&Link, Tetra Trackers HUD-Cleanups

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 03:42:52 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Dotyue's got a good point, the lush green background and the cool teal colors don't make the most sense for our game's tone. It would be cool to have some custom art of like, Hyrule Town at night with a figure standing on a roof in front of the moon. Or the desert with some of the Gerudo town in it, or the tower where you get the fire/ice arrows. I don't yet have enough experience with pixel art to whip something like that out :/

But I think a good placeholder for the background would be if we could just recolor the mountain background you have now (which is from climbing the beanstalk) so the mountains aren't a lush green but instead have a desert at the bottom. We could get rid of the river too. Shouldn't be too hard.

Anyway, as far as everything else, it looks fine. A few questions.

We have an erase button, will we have a copy feature? I've never personally used that feature, but I like the idea of it.

What are the numbers to the right of the player names?

Would it be easy so when you select a file, that box gets bigger and shows the character sprite and stuff like what sword they have or number of hearts? That's never really super important information, it's just fun. Low priority for sure, but it's one of those touches that makes the game more professional and stuff.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 03:47:29 pm »
We have an erase button, will we have a copy feature? I've never personally used that feature, but I like the idea of it.

Ah, I knew I was missing one!

What are the numbers to the right of the player names?

Number of deaths

Would it be easy so when you select a file, that box gets bigger and shows the character sprite and stuff like what sword they have or number of hearts? That's never really super important information, it's just fun. Low priority for sure, but it's one of those touches that makes the game more professional and stuff.

Yup! That's the idea actually.  I just don't currently have all the sprites needed to make a mockup for that.

As for the overall theme, I agree.  Something more desert-ish would fit better.

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 04:15:54 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
What if the number of death overexceed the amount 999, will it turn to 1000?  I think that is unnecesary IMO. We should have a languages button also, so you can change language whenever you want.

I think I can try to edit something for the BG, as a place holder.
The colours of the buttons should be red with silver outlines, since the sand is yellow and putting golden borders wouldnt be a good idea.

Edit: Minish Cap has a simple menu select where when you selected one, on the right there was a big box that showed the progress: amount of hearts, what primary objects (elements) you had, rupees etc...
Therw is a language button right below them and when selected, the big box shows the languages.
After you choose the fule you are going to play in, it shows the file only with the objects shiwn on the big box, and the erase and copy buttons below it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 04:35:35 pm by Spritonic »
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 04:23:07 pm »
What if the number of death overexceed the amount 999, will it turn to 1000?  I think that is unnecesary IMO

Really not sure, I've never actually died enough in a Zelda game to see what the counter does in the actual games that use it xD It would probably just max out at 999.

The colours of the buttons should be red with silver outlines, since the sand is yellow and putting golden borders wouldnt be a good idea.

Yup, agree

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 05:14:18 pm »
  • It's just Max.

Yup! That's the idea actually.  I just don't currently have all the sprites needed to make a mockup for that.

What sprites do you still need?

Miles07

Knight of ERA
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 05:31:26 pm »
  • Long live the Chaos!!
I was talking to my friend last night, and he was mentioning about how in 1980, he thought the internet would become this amazing place where people from across the world would share ideas. I was telling him about how this project [KOT] has worked, lurching along for years and drawn by different people from across the globe, and he thought it was beautiful. And he was right, it's awesome. :D

Zelda Items Spritesheet album (OUT OF DATE) - (link here)
A Link Across Time project - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Metroid) - (link here)
Boss Keys project (Zelda) - (link here)
Boss Keys project Trello Board - (link here)
menu select mockup Background
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 06:05:37 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
I tried to do a background of the desert.
its not night time, but sunset, which I think looks better.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 06:07:31 pm by Spritonic »

pxl_moon (dotyue)

Team Dekunutz
Re: menu select mockup Background
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 06:33:28 pm »
  • .越//
I tried to do a background of the desert.
its not night time, but sunset, which I think looks better.

it looks good... but maybe it could have (ingame) a mode-7 like effect like in this boss run (the whirly effect) so it would seem like a heat distortion <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PxMwauBD5M" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PxMwauBD5M</a>

edit: damn skip to 1:36 ;) and yeah i could find a better example of the effect i mean
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 06:35:23 pm by dotyue »

~~Resources~~
~Minish Cap Style~

Minish Cap Beta:Firerod Icon, Majoras Mask:ChuChu, Ocarina of Time:Gossip Stone, Oracle Series:Link plays the "Herpes of Ages", Impa, Wand Maker: HUD
~GB-Zelda Style~
~Other~

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 06:33:58 pm »
dude what the !@#$%, how do you even do this so fast?!  XD

What sprites do you still need?

Don't worry about that just yet, I just want to get the background and color scheme down right now

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 07:33:22 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
I will never reveal my secret!! XD
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 07:59:28 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Do you think it'd look good with some ruin-ish Gerudo castle thing?

Also, I made it taller in case, like the Oracle Games, we wanted to scroll up to the title in the sky.
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2015, 08:03:15 pm »
  • Just call me Brad
Do you think it'd look good with some ruin-ish Gerudo castle thing?

Also, I made it taller in case, like the Oracle Games, we wanted to scroll up to the title in the sky.

I like that! It shows how there are gerudo living there.
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2015, 08:41:14 pm »
  • It's just Max.
Added a little more just to see what it'd look like. The A in Zelda is pretty messed up because I did this in a hurry figuring we probably wouldn't go with the Seasons logo. Same for why the "king of thieves" font is pretty weird. Just figuring out how things would look.

Also added different colored buttons to see if they'd also look good over this. I figure it'll start out on the bottom of the tall screen and scroll up (the guy on a cliff is a different layer so he could parallax. Same with the sky, don't know if we'd want that.), so the bottom part (castle, dude on cliff) wouldn't be visible anymore, then the title could appear. Pressing start, the title would slide away and the buttons would slide onto the screen.

pxl_moon (dotyue)

Team Dekunutz
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2015, 09:03:31 pm »
  • .越//
i don't have the time or tools to sprite atm but i've got a logo sketched you could use (yes i spelled thieves wrong...) its the silouette of ganondorf unicolor (like black of any given color) only cut through bye the jewel on his head and the eye... he wears a crown and a thief bandage goes around the zelda logo giving space for the subtitle

edit: oops scans are quite big... i size it down
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 09:06:13 pm by dotyue »

~~Resources~~
~Minish Cap Style~

~GB-Zelda Style~
~Other~

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2015, 01:48:05 pm »
  • www.mouffers.com
i don't have the time or tools to sprite atm but i've got a logo sketched you could use (yes i spelled thieves wrong...) its the silouette of ganondorf unicolor (like black of any given color) only cut through bye the jewel on his head and the eye... he wears a crown and a thief bandage goes around the zelda logo giving space for the subtitle

Wouldn't that give away the twist?
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2015, 02:02:41 pm »

Wouldn't that give away the twist?

Another alternative is to just have the Gerudo symbol in the background, which is what we currently have for the logo

pxl_moon (dotyue)

Team Dekunutz
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2015, 05:25:06 pm »
  • .越//
 XD another try (and yet again wrong spelled thieves lol )

I tried to stylise the gerudo symbol and combine it with the king and thieves elements in a unicolor shape

so its basicly a thief which wears a "gerudo symbol" shaped eyemask, that mask has an bandana reaching around the logo and he wears a crown to symbolise the king and a thiefmask...

the words itself could have stylised "i"'s like a septer for "k I ng" and a key or maybe keyhole for "th I eves"

maybe you could at least work with that idea as base for other ideas

basicly you could also just cut out the gerudo symbol and make a whole face sioulette like ganon before
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 05:26:38 pm by dotyue »

~~Resources~~
~Minish Cap Style~

~GB-Zelda Style~
~Other~

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 76 queries.