Projects > Discussion

Things done wrong in every 3d Zelda turned 2d

<< < (2/3) > >>

rhalifax:
These are all really good points, in order to adapt something from 3D to 2D it takes more than just taking every single aspect from the 3D version and trying to make it all work in 2D. It just ends up feeling like a force smash up of different things and ends up making the game feel like a chore to play (almost all the OoT2D variations made me feel this way)

IMO I think people are also afraid to change things because they're worried the fan base may lash out at them for not being as close to 1:1 with their 2D port.

Mamoruanime:
The Lens of Truth Sucks in 2d
Everyone adds filters over the screen and makes things disappear. Well that really sucks. The lens works great in 3d because you can look around with it. Ya know, like you're looking through a lens. In 2d, it really sucks as an equipped active item. It should be a passive, always-on setup for 2d games. It doesn't even necessarily have to have a completely revealing effect either.

GodsTurf:
I get a lot of these points, and in OoT 2D, we've been working around a lot of these.

I kinda like the Lens of Truth in 2D, though, it does seem, easier, in 2D.
So here it is, exactly what you said not to do:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=w0fzeEoMfEM
(I'd post the video directly, but it won't take a link from my tablet, sorry. :-\)

I think I understand why you hate the Lens of Truth in this game, but out of curiosity, I was wondering if you actually had an alternative suggestion. How would you implement the Lens of Truth?

Aero88:

--- Quote from: GodsTurf on February 08, 2015, 11:57:59 am ---I think I understand why you hate the Lens of Truth in this game, but out of curiosity, I was wondering if you actually had an alternative suggestion. How would you implement the Lens of Truth?

--- End quote ---

One thing I did in my old zelda fan game was to make the viewing lens smaller.  I used surfaces to uncover secrets as you scanned the room with the lens rather than making everything just appear when you hit the button.  It made it feel more authentic.  At least to me.  Admittedly this method is more difficult to implement though, but the result left me feeling more like I was searching through a lens.

Mamoruanime:
@GodsTurf I'm not referring to yours directly :p there have been countless iterations of OoT2d in the past 10 or so years. These are common mistakes/things that feel wrong in each of them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Go to full version