Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: [Demo] The World (New graphics coming in! 2009/06/23)  (Read 31373 times)

[Demo] The World (New graphics coming in! 2009/0...
« on: August 07, 2006, 11:39:45 am »
  • 笑い男

News - 23rd June 2009
We now have a lead artist and things are starting to look nice :D

Old news:

(16th March 2009)
I've released a new client to fix a lot of small things.
As always you'll get it via playing the game normally.

(13th March 2009)
I've been working on programming the client the last few weeks/months, and a client update is finally ready!
You can download it when you start the game normally.

Seeing as I've only been working on the code side of things, there's no new content such as maps or anything (we need your help here!). Also I had to make the new GUI graphics, which is why they're terrible (help here too please!). So please put up with this until the right people with the right talents step up to conquer these problems!

See you in game! ...Maybe.

Newest screenshots of the current version you can play right now too!

Older screenshots:

For the best and most news about this project, please go the the official website.

This is a small MORPG based on "the world" from the .heck series (Find out more about .heck here)

NEW (lies, it's all old):

Battle Engine Preview

New screenshots for the battle engine have now arrived to fuel your curiosity about how the game is progressing. Enjoy!

The battle world will be separate from the world, and they will be fought in an exciting, action-filled sidescrolling world.

It's easy to get overwhelmed when you're outnumbered...

...but one good attack can give you the upper hand.

There are many environments to explore not only in the overworld, but in battle mode as well.

Don't underestimate the monsters, or you'll lose the fight!

This is just the beginning of what the development team has in mind. Keep your eyes on the forum for more upcoming news on The World's development!

More News: Overworld Map Previews

The team isn't only working on the battle ending, but also working to improve the overworld engine. These improvements include new maps, smoother controls, and an external map maker to allow field generation. Here's a small preview of a bigger and improved version of a particular town.

This next shot shows the special field, Hulle Granz Cathedral, in its developing phases.

As with the battle engine development, stay tuned on the forums for further news on the maps and overworld system.

Upcoming Beta

It's almost time for what you've all been waiting for. This month has brought us many surprises, including people willing to sprite for us! Hopefully, with these new possible teammates, the developers can get the game running smoothly. In the next month or two, expect a beta to be released. According to hawthorneluke, the team is now working to release a beta as soon as possible...

"...We need the spirtes, need to strip the client down to an offline mode and make sure its all OK, and fix whatever, add in the new, already done networking and whatever other features, and have maps made, host the server somewhere, and the beta's ready."

A date will be disclosed to the public for the release once the beta progresses through its final stages. Features will include customizable characters and improved controls. A taste of the battle engine is possible, but highly unlikely due to the lack of work completed on it so far.

Final Words

To all who are waiting anxiously to try .heck//The World, thank you for your patience. Once the game gets into gear, it will be worth the wait. Thanks to the volunteer spriters. It's all down to you guys, but we believe that you can pull through for us, and we can't have the beta without your skills. The team is working hard to bring you the best beta they can give you.

Also, remember that these screenshots are VERY early, and there is still a lot of aesthetic work to be put into it, so don't take in too much from them. They are simply a preview of how things work.

Until next time!

(copy from http://theworld.dayjoaspen.com/index.php?topic=771.0#msg7648)

OLD:

Trailer:

Online (Low Quality):
YouTube
Google Video

It's started to get dark, best turn on the lights.

Just trying to change a few settings.

Strolling around another "root town" just before morning.

Overworld

The Overworld is where most of the time will most likely be spent by the players.
In the Overworld, the camera-perspective will be top-down very much like in RPG Maker or the Overworld in the 2D "Tales of" series.

These are what the Overworld contains:

Towns
Shops
Fields
Dungeons
Monsters (with which you can initiate a fight)
Other Players
Other Players that are in Combat-mode (seen from outside the fight)

Towns
Towns will work pretty much like .heck.
They're lobbies for players to find eachothers, contain shop npcs and the Chaos Gate with which you can move out to fields.

Shops
-will come soon-

Fields
Going to a field is done by using the Chaos Gate, just like in .heck.
You form together your area with the usage of three letters and after having been to a field, it'll pop up in a list below the input for easy access.

Dungeons
-will come soon-

Monsters
Monsters will be found walking around in fields. This means that there will be NO random battles. If you don't run into a monster, you won't fight.
When you initiate combat with a monster, you will leave the Overworld and go into Combat-mode.
This will transition you away completely from Overworld. You won't be able to see players outside your party while in a fight unless they are taking part in the fight too.

Other Players
When not in a fight, you will be able to see and talk to players in the Overworld freely, be it in a town or a field. You are able to give your member address (though this will not mean you get the other player's member address unless s/he gives it to you) and invite players into your party.

Other Players that are in Combat-mode
When walking around in a field or dungeon, you will see other players fighting monsters.
These will be shown with their Overworld characters standing still in front of their opponent, surrounded by a Battle Area.
You will not be able to see their individual actions in combat from outside the Battle Area.
Approaching a Battle Area will transition you into Combat-mode, putting you into the fight, allowing you to see the players fight and join in.
Note: You CAN take damage from monsters if you have entered someone else's Battle Area.

Combat
As you approach a monster, combat will commence and you will be transferred from the Overworld into Combat-mode.
While in Combat-mode, the camera-perspective will be sideways 2D, much like that of Tales of Phantasia (SNES, GBA), or as shown in this picture.

The combat will be action-oriented with your stats as a base for power and such and will be set at a fairly high pace.

-MANY more details will come about combat soon-
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 10:27:34 am by hawthorneluke »

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
Re: The World
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2006, 02:22:10 pm »
  • Txet Lanosrep
Still looking sick and OMG!111!!!! Demo completion: 1 / 13!  Good luck and hurry up we people want to play ;)

Retro
  • TITANIC
Re: The World
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 02:37:42 pm »
  • 笑い男
I'm glad you're liking it :D
fixing all the little bugs i've come across over weeks is going extremely well.
i  just have to make a few things more presentable for a demo and add a bit more content and it's pretty much ready

edit: i just had a very small beta test (showing some people around the game, playing a bit of tag and showing off my new admin abilities) and the game worked wonderfully for the other players, except for some lag they told me they got because of the effects (pc lag, not net lag), so you can now turn on or off the lights, night, reflection and shadow effects. but i did get a few bugs, one was an easy fix and i'm pretty sure the others occurred because i ignored an error (which i think i got because of a message being incorrectly decrypted), which all should be fixed now.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 12:18:00 am by hawthorneluke »

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
Re: The World (Demo Completion: 6 / 13)
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 12:25:21 pm »
Nice trailer. I like the Gate idea too. I have no idea about anything about .heck, and I dont wanan find out, but it seems your on the right track.

Good luck.
the a o d c
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 12:45:18 pm »
  • 笑い男
Thank you :)
to be honest, at its current stage, this game might as well not be realted to .heck at all though
I hope you'll try out the alpha test when it comes

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2006, 12:53:48 am »
No doubt I will. The footage was awesome, its hard not too!
the a o d c
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 10:31:41 am »
  • 笑い男
good good :D
and you should notice quite a few different things between what was in the trailer and screenshots and what's/will be in the demo too

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 06:04:36 am »
Looks great (although the town could use some work cause the floor tiles are just ew).
What are you making this in?
nvm
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006, 06:13:42 am by wild8900 »
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2006, 06:14:15 am »
Game maker.  read his post.
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2006, 07:54:21 am »
  • 笑い男
well, anything like that's possible. its not some kind of function or anything, i had to draw the rectangle, and know when i click it, and where im moving it to to change a variable etc, which i can then use to set what parts of an array to draw (ie lines of text).
i captured the trailer footage using fraps, made clips from the footage using virtual dub, made the trailer in adobe premiere and encoded it using windows move maker :P
and thanks for the comments :)

update edit:
ok, so currently we're trying our best to bring you a bit more to do in the demo (which will take a few extra days to map and make the objects for) and then i just need to get some people to do a few small things and me to fix the rest of the bugs and add in the rest of the small features and its ready
hopefully. if should be ready in a couple more weeks as long as everything goes to plan. maybe sooner if you motivate me :P

another update edit:
ok, pretty much all the content that will be in the demo, inclduing the special demo areas is pretty much complete. it just need touching up and then just a few more things need to be added in to complete the demo/get the game nearer to full completion
« Last Edit: August 31, 2006, 03:18:08 am by hawthorneluke »

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
Re: The World (Demo Completion: 6 / 13) (progres...
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 09:43:51 pm »
  • 笑い男
You can now apply to beta test the current game engine before the demo release
http://www.zfgc.com/index.php/topic,8347.new.html#new

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
Re: The World (Demo Completion: 8 / 13) Sign up...
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2006, 11:36:30 pm »
  • You don't know me.
Well, I WOULD apply for beta testing, but I probably wouldn't do it very well because, you know, school & homework + Forgetting about what you decided to do on break earlier = Not a lot of time to thoroughly search a game for glitches. :-(

That's right people, beta testing ISN'T just about playing the game early, YOU GOTTA SEARCH FOR DEM GLITCHES!

Oh, and nice to know you've progressed enough to actually warrant beta-testing.

No one located in this area of the internet remembers me.
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006, 12:02:56 am »
im in for beta testing :P

btw its awsome

ill get you the sprites soon
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2006, 09:45:04 am »
  • 笑い男
@Hero of Vortex: thats a shame :( and yeah, thats exactly why i want beta testers, to find all the glitches and bugs we havent :P

@linkw204: you'll have to make me want to have you as a beta tester (eg loads of free time and willing to try everything in the game even if it really borring and you'd know what to look for etc)

ok we now have proper forums up and running
take a look :)
http://theworld.dayjoaspen.com/forums/index.php
if you are a beta tester
you can now download the beta and start testing :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2006, 08:26:08 pm by hawthorneluke »

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
Re: The World (Demo Completion: 8 / 13) - Close...
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 08:02:54 pm »
The eye of detail is what you have it looks really amazing with other words very proffesional.
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2006, 06:37:06 am »
  • :3
The eye of detail is what you have it looks really amazing with other words very proffesional.

i told you this game rox
  • daniel-kun

Pedlya

Pederp
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2006, 07:38:55 am »
  • Vote for Harvey!~
It takes like 10 minutes to load :(
So what! I wanna get out! 'Cos there's so much out there! So many different people, living different lives! Incredibly good guys, bad guys... Folks completely different from us! It's one huge melting pot! See, it's not about success, dying in the streets, who's better, who's not! I just want to be a part of it! I realized that even if I've no connections, no talent, even if I'm one big loser, I want to use my hands and feet to think and move, to shape my own life! We can just die here or we can try, see what we've got!
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2006, 01:37:11 pm »
  • 笑い男
10 minutes?! O_O
what exactly takes 10 minutes to load?

i hope it will graphically look much better in the future too

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
Re: The World - Demo Released!
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2006, 04:13:54 pm »
  • 笑い男
The demo is now released.
Check the first post for the details

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
Re: The World - Demo Released!
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2006, 03:23:38 pm »
  • You don't know me.
WOOT!  DEMO! I'll download it as soon as I'm out of school. Maybe. Unless I start working on my artificial intelligence programming skillz (with a z), in which case, by the time I remember, it'll be too late. But, still, eventually today, I will download it.

No one located in this area of the internet remembers me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 78 queries.