Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Renting/buying used games = piracy  (Read 4120 times)

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
Renting/buying used games = piracy
« on: December 11, 2008, 09:56:18 am »
http://games.slashdot.org/games/08/12/10/0759248.shtml

Gamasutra is running a feature discussing the used game market with various developers and analysts. The point has been raised by many members of the industry that used game sales are hurting developers and publishers even more lately, when they're already beleaguered by rising piracy rates and a struggling economy. Atari executives recently commented that used game sales are "extremely painful," while GameStop's CEO unsurprisingly came out in support of resales. We've recently discussed a few of the ways game designers are considering to limit used game sales. David Braben, chairman of UK-based developer Frontier Development had this to say: "Five years ago, a great game would have sold for a longer period of time than for a bad game — which was essentially our incentive to make great games. But no longer. Now publishers and developers just see revenue the initial few weeks regardless of the game's quality and then gamers start buying used copies which generates money that goes into GameStop's pocket, nobody else's."

discuss
Re: Renting/buying used games = piracy
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 04:28:51 pm »
It may hurt the game companies a bit but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's piracy.

Piracy:
the unauthorized reproduction or use of a copyrighted book, recording, television program, patented invention, trademarked product, etc.:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/piracy

I think they're exaggerating a bit.

under the alias DarkLink6235

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 04:37:44 pm »
  • Colbydude was here.
How is someone buying a game someone already paid for piracy? The company got their money's worth the first time around. No fair that they should get paid twice for 1 copy of a game. THAT would be what I consider piracy.

Also, this topic was made like a year ago.
http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=20925.0
END DISCUSSION.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 04:46:22 pm by DJvenom »
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 04:46:17 pm »
  • I just saved Hyrule! I'd say that's worth a kiss.
Also, this topic was made like 2 years ago.
END DISCUSSION.

We get at least one topic about gay issues every month it seems, I'd say this is no big deal XD

See, this is one of the reasons I hate Gamestop. used game sales dont help developers at all. I know there's no such thing as an "ungreedy" company. Every company exists to make money. But some companies are greedier than others. Walmart and Gamestop are examples of this. Gamestop buys games from people for like a tenth of their value, then sells them back used for 95% full price. they make a !@#$% TON of money off of used game sales, with no regard for the developers.

Please guys, dont buy used games. if that's too much to ask, then please, just DO NOT buy from GeStapo GameStop.

We may as well call it "Small Forum Populated by a Few People Who Make Fangames, Mostly About Zelda, But More Often Talk About Other Nintendo Franchises Central"
"SFPFPWMF,MAZ,BMOTAONFC" for short.

DJvenom

super-sage
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 04:47:30 pm »
  • Colbydude was here.
EB games? :D
I do art
I ermmm... DID do art
I do art
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 05:01:04 pm »
EB games? :D
Nope. Division of Gamestop now. :(

They were cool back in the day, though.

We may as well call it "Small Forum Populated by a Few People Who Make Fangames, Mostly About Zelda, But More Often Talk About Other Nintendo Franchises Central"
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2008, 05:08:44 pm »
Also, this topic was made like a year ago.
END DISCUSSION.
good topic
  • Google Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2008, 06:07:36 pm »
END DISCUSSION.

We get at least one topic about gay issues every month it seems, I'd say this is no big deal XD

See, this is one of the reasons I hate Gamestop. used game sales dont help developers at all. I know there's no such thing as an "ungreedy" company. Every company exists to make money. But some companies are greedier than others. Walmart and Gamestop are examples of this. Gamestop buys games from people for like a tenth of their value, then sells them back used for 95% full price. they make a !@#$% TON of money off of used game sales, with no regard for the developers.

Please guys, dont buy used games. if that's too much to ask, then please, just DO NOT buy from GeStapo GameStop.

Damn you GameStop, for making a profit by helping the consumer!!!

Seriously, they buy the games you no longer want. You get money that you otherwise wouldn't have (unless you manage to find a local buyer or someone on ebay). They sell the game at a price that is less than one would pay for a new copy. You profit, the next buyer profits, and GameStop profits. Damn them to hell for their greed, only the individual should ever profit!

"It is a terrible thing for a man to find out suddenly that all his life he has been speaking nothing but the truth" - Jack, The Importance of Being Ernest

Swoftu

Super Fighting Robot
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2008, 06:34:20 pm »
END DISCUSSION.

Damn them to hell for their greed, only the individual should ever profit!

Ignoring sarcasm, qft.

gamestop sucks, use ebay or amazon
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2008, 06:38:55 pm »
  • Wooper Don't Give a !@#$%
END DISCUSSION.

Seriously, they buy the games you no longer want. You get money that you otherwise wouldn't have (unless you manage to find a local buyer or someone on ebay). They sell the game at a price that is less than one would pay for a new copy. You profit, the next buyer profits, and GameStop profits. Damn them to hell for their greed, only the individual should ever profit!

Gamestop has some sleezy practices though, which is why they get so much hate. They've sold me a used copy of Shenmue II when I payed the price for a new copy, they'll throw out cases and manuals on GB and GBC games, they'll inflate prices over their competition, and they always find a way to get their hand into every video game transaction ever. I'm surprised they're not pissed off about digital distribution.
ROLL TIDE WHAT? **** YOU!!! Geaux Tiga

~The Gaurdians of ZFGC~
Kirby, metallica48423, Max, Vash, walnut100
  • Gamers & Developers Unlimited
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 06:41:46 pm »
  • 虫めづる姫君
Used games suck unless you really can't afford a new game; in which case GameStop's used games are way overpriced.

gamestop sucks, use ebay or amazon
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 06:46:08 pm »
Lupus, Gamestop doesn't help the consumer. Sure, you save a tiny bit of cash (you can save a lot more by buying used games on Amazon or eBay, like Swifty said, however), but it comes at the cost of not supporting the developers, among lots of other shitty business practices by Gamestop. Let's make up a hypothetical scenario here.

You REALLY REALLY like a game series, we'll call it "Awesome Adventures". You liked the first Awesome Adventure game, and decide to buy Awesome Adventures 2, but you feel cheap, so you buy it used. In fact, it ends up that because so many people purchased the game used instead of new, the game does not make a good amount of profit, and the developer decides that not enough money was made to justify an Awesome Adventures 3. Wouldn't you rather pay 5 dollars extra to buy the game new, to help support developers, and support the creation of future Awesome Adventures games?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 06:48:02 pm by Aliento »

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 06:50:37 pm »
good luck buying new games at GameStop. They only order like 3 copies of new games (that aren't like BRAWL or HALO)- its pretty much you either have to preorder or buy used
  • Google Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2008, 06:56:36 pm »
good luck buying new games at GameStop. They only order like 3 copies of new games (that aren't like BRAWL or HALO)- its pretty much you either have to preorder or buy used
Which is why you shouldn't go to gamestop in the first place.

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2008, 06:58:44 pm »
Do I buy pro-owned games? Yes
Is it my problem, or fault that the developers are losing out? No and No.

Instead of targeting the blame at the consumers why not target the shops? Its well known they'll buy a game for say £5 and sell it at £15. So why not put the extra 10 they make to the developers...
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2008, 07:03:41 pm »
  • Super Hero Time!
Well, good thing I download my games.
!@#$% I lost my entire post, god dammit.
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 07:04:56 pm »
Bert, they make a much larger profit margin than that.

And I'm not blaming the consumer for this problem. I'm asking the consumer to FIX this problem, because asking Gamestop to stop being greddy wouldn't solve anything. If the consumer stops buying used games, the developers will profit more and in the long run, the industry does better.

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2008, 07:08:25 pm »
Bert, they make a much larger profit margin than that.

And I'm not blaming the consumer for this problem. I'm asking the consumer to FIX this problem, because asking Gamestop to stop being greddy wouldn't solve anything. If the consumer stops buying used games, the developers will profit more and in the long run, the industry does better.

Learn fast, we have no power in how a company is run. If the developers increased their pressure onto game shops instead of the consumer then there'd be more chance of seeing a change.
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2008, 07:15:12 pm »
I can only care about the developers as much as they care about me.
  • Google Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2008, 07:30:08 pm »
Learn fast, we have no power in how a company is run. If the developers increased their pressure onto game shops instead of the consumer then there'd be more chance of seeing a change.
I couldn't disagree more. Businesses exists to sell things and services. If consumers stop buying a product or service (in this case used games), the business will stop selling it, or change the way it sells it to appeal to the consumer more.

Consumers can change the way a company does business. If people speak, businesses will listen, if they know what's good for them.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.407 seconds with 77 queries.