Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zelda: Hylian Enlightenment  (Read 1970 times)

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
Zelda: Hylian Enlightenment
« on: July 08, 2009, 06:57:38 am »
  • Things to see and people to do.
Before I begin, a word of warning is necessary. If you have a problem with any of the following, it would be a good idea for you to refrain from posting and/or avoid this thread entirely:

- A Zelda game with actual firearms
- A Zelda game with choices that affect the story, gameplay, etc.
- A Zelda game that doesn't involve Hyrule, the Triforce, etc.
- A Zelda game with limited dungeon crawling
- A Zelda game with a darker, more mature story
- A Zelda game where Link's primary uniform is NOT a green tunic
- A Zelda game that is more challenging than Twilight Princess or The Wind Waker
- A Zelda game with a fully orchestrated soundtrack
- A Zelda game with voice acting

I'll give you a moment to make your decision.

Okay, now we can move on.

Since this is first and foremost a game idea, I'd like to start off with something I consider to be "the basics," that being the game's world. Since this particular game takes place several hundreds of years after the established canon (the latest of which being Spirit Tracks, which supposedly takes place a hundred years after Phantom Hourglass, and the landmass in this game is the same landmass that Link and Tetra eventually find), a lot has changed. People have long since forgotten about Hyrule, the Goddesses, the Triforce, and the Ancient Hero, and have instead turned to science and philosophy, two of the most influential ideas of the real world enlightenment.

As with old Hyrule, this world (which we will refer to as Hylia) is a monarchy, and is ruled by a Royal Family. However, while their power is quite absolute in the Castle City, those outside its walls care little for its laws, with many of the towns having their own governing bodies and laws. (They do keep in contact, however, in case a criminal in one town travels to another.)

There are many races of sentient beings in this world, such as humans, Gorons, etc., as well as several new races, such as a species of yeti-like creatures that inhabit the cold, mountainous regions of the world. Humans have by and large dominated the land, but they exist peacefully with the likes of the Gorons and the ever elusive Zora. In fact, the yeti creatures are on good terms with humans, as well. However, there exists strife between the non-human creatures; Gorons hate Zoras, Zoras hate Yetis, and Yetis hate Gorons. This is fairly general, though, and there are exceptions.

In terms of technological advancement, Gorons reign supreme, followed by humans, then Yeti, then the Zoras. By this time, Gorons have once again adapted to an arid volcanic lifestyle, and have progressed to the point where they have become completely industrialized. Goron machines are powered by steam and magnetism, and they have a rudimentary understanding of electricity. Humans possess technology that is roughly that of the real world enlightenment; guns exist, but are quite primitive and rely on flintlock mechanisms to work. In close-quarters combat, swords and spears are still used. Longbows have been phased out completely, and the crossbow is becoming more and more obsolete. Yetis are still fairly primitive, but are more than capable of building castles and houses. Guns are unknown to them, and they rely more on close quarters melee combat. Zoras are the least developed of them all. They still reside in caves, and resort to simple weapons made of non-metallic materials in combat. They have advanced little.

Now, about the landmass itself. Overall, it's roughly the size of Europe. However, the portion you will explore is a small portion that's roughly 1000 square miles; slightly larger than the Great Sea map in The Wind Waker (which was 1000 square kilometers). In order to block off the player, the edges of the explorable game world are either sheer cliffs that you cannot climb or deep chasms you cannot cross. If neither exist, you will be told by the game that going any further is not advised and you will be turned around.

Unlike previous Zelda games, the world here is lush and full of life. Each and every part of the world is unique, from the trees down to the appearance of a roadside sign. Unique NPCs with full schedules wander their respective towns, waiting to be talked to. Seasons change, as well; when they do, the environment and the beings within it act accordingly, e.g. an NPC that wears shorts and a shirt during the summer would wear a thick coat during the winter.

Sidequests are once again an important part of the game's world, and performing them has interesting effects on the world and what you can do. Performing these quests will usually net you some extra spending money, as well as a unique item for you to use. Be warned, though; performing some sidequests will prevent you from being able to perform another, but may open up other sidequests for you to sink your teeth into, e.g. helping a naughty child cause mischief on a farm will prevent you from being able to perform sidequests for the unfortunate farmer, but will also open up future sidequests involving that naughty child. It's a delicate process; in the end, one person may not have the same experience as another, and thus will end up differently.

Items in the game can either be rooted in reality or quite spectacular in retrospect. Your gun, for instance, is very realistic; however, on the opposite end of the spectrum, items like the Grapple Shot (this game's version of the Hookshot or the Clawshot) or the Lens of Truth are quite mystical in function. NPCs in the game will sometimes comment on how bizarre some of your equipment is.

Unlike other Zelda games, this particular title features actual voice acting. However, it's not in English; instead, the characters speak a fake language created specifically for the game. It's relatively simple in sound, consisting mainly of vowels with few consonants, and the syntax is identical to English. When characters speak, a dialogue box opens and the text is written so you can read it, ala Midna.

One of the things I look for in a game is a graphical style that looks great and fits the game. Naturally, this game would take advantage of this. I would describe it, but I found a picture that sums it up rather well. Click here. A somber look and feel = win.

Now, we can talk about Link's character. He is roughly 17 years old and originates from a small town in the northern tip of Hylia called Ordonia. (Gotta love throwbacks to old locations, eh?) He lives in this small settlement with his father and older brother, both of whom are hunters, though the father is also an adventurer. Since he is nearly 18, both of the older men have been teaching him important skills, such as the ability to hunt, use a sword, shoot, etc. One evening, both his father and his brother fail to return from a hunting trip. Concerned, Link ventures into the forest. There, he finds them surrounded by bizarre creatures. He attempts to free them, but before he is able to, he is shot in the back by a masked man in a coat. Severely injured, Link dies while his father and brother cry out in emotional agony.

However, that isn't the end of the story. Upon his death, Link travels to the afterlife, which is a euphoric fantasy covered in a dreamlike haze. After solving a series of challenges, Link is able to enter the centerpiece of this world; a huge, castellated temple. Inside, he finds the ethereal spirit of the old queen name (you guessed it) Zelda. She explains to him that he is a part of a long line of heroic figures, and that the Goddesses have shown favor on him. She also explains a little about the creatures he encountered. After this, she awakens his spirit, calling him a Reborn Hero, and he is resurrected and apparently unharmed.

In the same fashion as Twilight Princess, Link's clothing is altered after this experience. After his resurrection, he is told by Zelda that he is wearing clothes "fit for a hero." It consists of a light green shirt over a darker green shirt that boasts a hood. (This serves as Link's trademark hat.) He is also wearing chainmail and a leather pauldron on one shoulder. The aforementioned shirts and chainmail also extend passed the belt, giving the appearance of a tunic. Beneath this, he wears dark gray pants that are typical of the era, as well as a set of hardy boots. Another difference, though, is his coat, which is a dark gray-brown overcoat that is left unfastened. It covers both arms and extends to just below the knee. He also wears gloves; the glove that covers his shield hand is fingerless and made of cloth while the one on his sword hand is fingered and made of leather. As is typical, he has a scabbard on his back that is attached via belt. Overall, his uniform is very reminiscent of Link while being very different.

Link is able to use many items throughout the course of the game. These items have a variety of uses; some are used in combat, some are used to solve puzzles or open up new paths, and some are used for several purposes. The most important, though, are his sword and shield. The sword you begin with is known as the Heirloom Sword. It is described in game as a simple iron weapon that has been passed down from generation to generation. The shield you begin with is a simple wooden shield. As the game progresses, you are able to use several other swords and shields, such as a certain blade of evil's bane.

Another important item is your ranged weapon. You will find four in the entire game: a Crossbow, a Pistol, a Rifle, and a Turret Rifle. You find the Crossbow soon after Link's resurrection, and in truth, you never have to upgrade it. In order to get the other three, you have to perform certain activities. When you have more than one ranged weapon, you can choose between the ones you have in the Items submenu. Each weapon has various advantages and disadvantages: the Crossbow is weaker than a rifle, but it has superior accuracy at a distance. A pistol is weaker than the rest, but it can be reloaded very quickly and fired without much need for preparation. The rifle has the most power of them all, but is slow to reload and shoot. The Turret Rifle does less damage than the crossbow or rifle, but it can fire more than one shot before having to be reloaded. (The reason for this is that it's a multi barreled weapon.)

Alright, I'm tired of writing, so I'll leave it here. Discuss.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

Hear the haunting words (They'll find you alone)
lost children with no heart are crying (Turning their hearts into stone)
and you're the lost mother they're calling
Go now, run and hide (seek more than vengeance)
I hear them crying at night (your pain is their satisfaction)
outside when the planets are falling (for the rest of time)
They want to feel and know you hear them (Go now, run and hide)

• http://giantcock.netne.net/

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
Re: Zelda: Hylian Enlightenment
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 07:36:58 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
That very well could be :p

I just see Zelda as a dungeon crawler, and not a social interaction game. Majora's Mask focused mainly on social interaction and left dungeon crawling as a 2nd part :( kinda killed it for me.

Source

Internet Tough Guy.
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 07:39:25 am »
  • Things to see and people to do.
wtf accidental post deletion due to shitty mouse registering clicks that never happened :'(

I dunno, dungeon crawling has always been a turn off to me. Don't get me wrong, dungeons are cool and all, but it's irritating when they're the only real challenge in the entire damn game. The idea of the overall challenge being distributed throughout the entire game rather than just the dungeons is appealing to me.

As for social interaction, I like it when the game's world is interesting. Zelda is amazing at !@#$% that up.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone thought to themselves "You know, I really want to set those people over there on fire." - George Carlin

(!@#$%)

Hear the haunting words (They'll find you alone)
lost children with no heart are crying (Turning their hearts into stone)
and you're the lost mother they're calling
Go now, run and hide (seek more than vengeance)
I hear them crying at night (your pain is their satisfaction)
outside when the planets are falling (for the rest of time)
They want to feel and know you hear them (Go now, run and hide)

• http://giantcock.netne.net/

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 07:39:52 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Yeah I just did the same thing O_O fuggin odd lol
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 08:06:48 am »
(using Mammy's style)

*comes into thread*

*reads disclaimer*

*reads the following*

- A Zelda game with actual firearms

*thinks "OK another future Zelda idea."

- A Zelda game that is more challenging than Twilight Princess or The Wind Waker
- A Zelda game with a fully orchestrated soundtrack
- A Zelda game with voice acting

*Thinks that is hard to prove because it is only an idea and not a concept, let alone any plans to actually make the game.

*reads the rest of the thread

After reading I found the following to be false statements:
- A Zelda game that doesn't involve Hyrule, the Triforce, etc.
- A Zelda game where Link's primary uniform is NOT a green tunic.

And the following statement I also wonder about its truthfulness.
Your idea seems to be more focused on the narrative, than the action or puzzles. Which does not give it more of a challenge, because a good narrative game needs the story to keep flowing and let people get stuck. And because you made the disclaimer that there is limited dungeon crawling, that means you need the puzzling and action in the overworld. This actually makes the overworld one big dungeon.

Also the hatred between the nonhuman races is severely unbalanced. The Gorons can make lunch meat out of the Zora's (OK not lunch meat, but lunch fish in this case) because one stands at the top of the technological advancement and the other at the bottom with a really big gap. You should make all races technological equals, but the technology is more focused on their natural environment, because you don't have magic and all that anymore. A second option would be to return the magic and the old ways. Making the technological less developed races more adept in the magic and old ways.

The rest of the idea also has things that I don't really like, but I'm not going to dig just so I can say why it is not to my liking. When it dawns to me I will mention it, otherwise there is just something of with your idea.

PS: the link to the site of the image is broken.
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 10:37:51 am »
  • Fight the Power
Here:
http://ugly-baka-girl.deviantart.com/art/On-My-Way-114259605

I think it's a good idea, but making a whole new graphic style for a fangame sounds a bit too ambitious. :P
Well, you never mentioned actually MAKING the game, so that's ok.

I like it. :)

Currently Listening to: Mos Def - Summertime

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 10:52:44 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
On a completely unrelated note; GODDAMN UGLY BAKA GIRL'S ART IS AMAZING
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 10:58:41 am »
Here:
http://ugly-baka-girl.deviantart.com/art/On-My-Way-114259605

Yeah, I know. It is just that hyperlinking with BCC tags is broken on this forum.

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 12:57:47 pm »
  • b e p i s
The problem I have with this idea is that it lacks the spirit of what makes Zelda Zelda. It's not a bad concept, but it does not fit in with the Zelda franchise. It sounds far more like a Western RPG.
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 55 queries.

anything