Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Platforming Game Movement Trouble  (Read 4833 times)

Re: Platforming Game Movement Trouble
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2010, 08:24:14 am »
I've actually added some of those features you mentioned into my code, although I haven't put it out yet because I didn't think it was up to quality. I facilitated jumping and falling at different rates through a system similar to x-movement, but one that always defaults the y-move to a value other than 0. It only considers falling when there are not two objects on the left and right bottom corners of the collision mask and jumping can only be done when there are two objects associated with that. The idea is that I will later use those two objects for slope collision movement - which in a Mario game can be expressed as like a modified corner-cutting that "hugs" to the object being moved over.

I am still trying to work that out, it's a little tricky. I am trying to anticipate when I am going to be moving onto and off of slopes as well as when Mario is pressing down while on one. I am not so sure about how you did the place_meeting with the && off the while condition like that because the move_x isn't always an integer (with stuff like this, I tend to do a preliminary check to see if there is going to be any collision within the movement range when at maximum speed; if there is no collision it just moves otherwise it will do the precision stuff). Also yeah, you're right about the animation stuff with x-based collisions, I didn't have it set right for when Mario runs into stuff but is still trying to move.
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2010, 12:26:42 am »
Well, here is what I came up with.  Not perfect by any means, but it may give you some insight into what I am working on.

Arrow keys move, Z is jump.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2010, 05:31:24 am »
Uhm a few remarks.

1) From the demo: if you want people to jump over a hole, you better show a hole and not a continued floor. Oh yeah something to jump on would be nice as well.

2) From the code: it seems that you base the walking and the standing sprite on whether there is an x movement. And when walking into a collision, at one step there is a x displacement and at another step there is not. I think you should base the walking and standing animation based on the users input and not on the actual displacement.
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2010, 05:48:59 am »
Uhm a few remarks.

1) From the demo: if you want people to jump over a hole, you better show a hole and not a continued floor. Oh yeah something to jump on would be nice as well.

2) From the code: it seems that you base the walking and the standing sprite on whether there is an x movement. And when walking into a collision, at one step there is a x displacement and at another step there is not. I think you should base the walking and standing animation based on the users input and not on the actual displacement.

For a response to 1:
The game is created to make the player think and learn to complete the level.  Go google "I wanna be the fangame" or "I wanna be the guy" for examples on what i am going for.

For a response to 2:
I haven't had any issues with it.  What I have on my end is just simple Mario-esc moving and jumping.  That's all I need.  As the game progresses, different games will be emulated.

If it gets near finished, this is meant to be a repetition/skill game where you learn by trial and error where death traps are and are not.  These kind of games aren't for everyone, but i love them.  Google "cat mario" as well to see what I mean.

You check out some youtube videos.

Start here and watch this Let's Play series
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JedSYx9nlfY&NR=1

EDIT:You can clear that one room to in the sense you can get to the other side ;D
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 05:58:14 am by Theforeshadower »
  • Super Fan Gamers!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.304 seconds with 46 queries.