Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: [Screens] Legend of Zelda: Rod of Lumina  (Read 9360 times)

Dark-Hylian

Silence
[Screens] Legend of Zelda: Rod of Lumina
« on: February 09, 2010, 11:21:08 pm »
PROGRESS NOTICE!

Currently still in the engine phase, my zelda fan game, with the help of Miragos and SinkinDevil, and some other people from different websites, has come along far enough in its tech engine stage, that I figure it's okay to post up here.

Team: Dark_Hylian, Miragos
Team Status: Recruiting GM8 Coder and Composer
Game Progress: (Tech) Demo released. (See below)

The Legend

Long ago, when the realm known as Hyrule was formed by the divine gifts of the three, Din, Farore and Nayru, when life first came into being, amidst the good and purity of this new world, an evil was born. Given the basic Adam and Eve situation, it manipulated the new beings into quarraling, causing battles to break out. By playing both sides of this war, the evil leeched off of the life forces of his victims. The bloodshed he caused saddened the Godesses, but they refused to do more than send a particularly strong spirit of courage, of wisdom, and of power down upon the earth.

The spirit of courage found its way to the heart of a young man, born and raised in the newly raised kingdom of Hyrule. This man, being a blacksmith, and inspired by the Godesses, created a sword of awesome power.

The spirit of wisdom found its way into a theif girl, cunning in her measures and sharp of tongue. Taking upon the spirit, she set out to enlighten the one who would save the world from the ever growing evil. This girl, using her knowledge, sought out this hero, along the way joining forces with the courageous smith.

The spirit of power found residence in the heart of a brave and noble ruler, of lands far to the east. He, being shown in a vision of the calamities of Hyrule, began the long and perilous journey. He faced many dangers, as the evil raised demons to combat him as he approached the land, attempting to keep the three from meeting. He succeeded in battle, making his way to the spot which he had been shown.

There, the three waited for the Hero of Fate, but he was never to appear. The and their followers, a group of strong-hearted men and women, fought bitterly against the onslaught of the now powerful evil. Almost two years had passed since the Spirits reached their hosts, and still, there was no sign of the Hero.

After a mighty battle, led by the legendary three, they managed to keep the enemy at bay, driving it back. However, the lady-theif was wounded severely, and her life could not be saved. Instead, the three combined their strengths and enshrined the blade, bestowing upon it the blessing of the Godesses, and fading away. This blade could only be removed from its shrine by one of pure heart, of strong mind, and of noble will.

The evil was victorious, but before the demonic power could destroy all that the Godesses created, intervention was granted. The three, seeing the destruction wrought by the demon, banished it to a hell so fierce, it faded back in and unto itself. However, its power was so great that they could not destory either the demon, or the portal through which it was cast down. Instead, they sank it into the earth, burying it in the bowels of the undergrounds, covering it over again, and creating a temple above the spot where it sank.

Then, recultivating the few shreds of life that still existed, they proceeded to begin the gradual healing of the horrific scars the land had suffered. Again, they returned to their heavens, and again, the people lived peacefully.

The tribes of the east formed aleigances with those of Hyrule, as well as with the hardy Gorums(later to be known as Gorons) of the north, and the Zoru of the South. Forming a strong alliance, the land prospered. Hundreds of years pass, and the history of the land is almost forgotten, only being recounted in sparse fairy-tales.

Every now and again, the sword is tried, and a hero attempts to remove it. However, none have suceeded, and the King of Hyrule, Dante Hyrule, has held a challenge for all swordsmen. The victor of the champion may marry his daughter, but almost more importantly, have a go at the sacred sword. Something along those lines  8)
center]

The Geography

The geography is of course, split into two maps, being the Normal and "Dark Worlds". Several familiar areas reappear, including Death Mountain (whos crater has sunken deeper and deeper into a chasm and mine) is still around, as well as the Forest of Silence (the Lost Woods is still around). However, knew areas, such as Mount Glices (An icy mountain, previously the fortress of a proud race) and Great Coast (Back from the dead in MM) have come into existance, as well as a few new races into the mix.

Dungeons have been planned out, and are estimated to have 9 total, but that, as well as the geography might change some throughout developement.

A Central Town is the base of operations mostly, as Hyrule Castle/Town are far up in the heights, and out of the way. Divided into quarters, each area of the town has a style and race to it, ie, gorons on the Death Mountain side, with blacksmithing and the like, a fishing hole on the Zora Side, near the coast...

Dungeons and Items

The OOT's Armor idea has not been lost, and an OOT like equipment selection will be avaliable, including clothes, boots, shield and sword. Each will be respective to a certain race or area, ie, water armor for the ocean, etc.

Dungeons have all been thought up, and I like most of them. Almost all of them have original bosses and designs.

In addition to the dungeons, a great deal of new, and a few original items have been added, including, for the first time in a  2-d Zelda Game(so far, I think), the Iron Boots, Phantom Shroud, Deku Whip, Gale Frond, and the Fire and Ice arrows.

Zelda is to be playable at at least one point in time, during various stages of her training. She actually becomes of great importance to the game, as she is needed, along with her soon to become formidable sheikah training, to complete the game.

Engine Progress:

Still, this game is in the Technical Stage, so no glorious battles or anything yet, just screenies of, and the Tech Demos. I hope that it's cool to stay here, and progress updates will be made quite frequently. Any ideas or comments are accepted, and I would love to hear what you all think.

The engine has undergone many large and complex changes, but they're making the engine altogether more usable. Thus, the percentages shall be reset. Personally, I like this new system 10 times more.

Walking - 50%
Rolling - 10%
Swimming(Phase 1) - 10%
Heart System(NOT damage) - 10%
Rupee System - 10%
Key System- 100%
Locked Doors/Chest System - 5%
Damage to Link Engine - 5%*
Pick Up/Throw Engine -0%*
NPC AI(talking, walking, etc) - 20%
Text and Talking - 10%*
Room Changing - 20%(Big,big,big)*
Minimap - 15%
Inventory Menu - 0%
Equipment Menu - 0%
Item Usage - 0%
Game Over Screen - 0%*
Enemy AI - Keese - 0%
Enemy AI - Octorok - 0%
Enemy AI - Bow Moblin - 0%
Using Sword - 0%
Using Bow - 0%

Once All of the *s are at 85% or higher, I'll make an real gameplay demo. Until then, tech demos will be offered in placation.

Screens

Bunch of Minimap / Menu testing screens.

The last one shows that you can disable the minimap.

Edits and Updates

Behold, the screenies!(Notice the Effigy change) =D

2/17/10.) Updates to the Progress, more information added. Name changed to Rod of Lumina.

2/23/10.) Updates to Progress. New screenies as well!

2/28/10.) Updated Progress, uploaded to the WIP Games section as well.

2/28/10.) Part 2! Updated Progress, posting another demo with complete (relatively) inventory shortly.

3/2/10.) Updated Progress, added new screens.

Edit): download basic demo from http://www.zfgc.com/index.php#?action=games&sa=view&id=155 instead.
Have Fun!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 01:15:14 am by Dark-Hylian »
  • Dawning Hour
Re: Legend of Zelda: Effigy of Illumination(work...
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 11:27:22 pm »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
I must admit I don't look at projects often here... but I came into this topic because of one thing.  Effigy.  EFFIGY?!?!?!  Poor choice of words in my opinion...

Dark-Hylian

Silence
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 11:29:22 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effigy

lol. I actually thought the same thing, as soon as you mentioned it. Anyways, it has to do with part of the plot.

^^^
Definition helps some.
  • Dawning Hour
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 11:31:46 pm »
  • I had to sew my face back on with string cheese
I know what an effigy is, that's why I thought it sounded horrible :P

Ethelon

Awesome Resized Avys
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 11:33:16 pm »
You could change it to "Figure of Illumination" Or something along that lines. Maybe a synonym that sounds better?

Otherwise, this is looking good. Is that house custom?

Xfixium: "Leader"/Lead Programmer/Lead Spriter,  Cypras: Programmer, Ethelon: Tiler/Spriter, Darklink45: Spriter, Noseblunt3: Spriter,
SinkinDevil: Spriter, Dotyue: Spriter, Tompel: Tiler/Spriter, 
Mamoruanime: Tiler, DJvenom: Spriter

Dark-Hylian

Silence
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 11:38:33 pm »
Yeah, I'm checking for some synonyms, and figure sounds a little... dull. And no, that house is not. It's from the forest tile set, although I believe that I changed some of it's colors when redoing the tileset.
  • Dawning Hour

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
Re: [Screens] Legend of Zelda: Shadow of Illumin...
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 12:43:14 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Why not just call it LoZ: Rod of Lumina?

Dark-Hylian

Silence
Re: [Screens] Legend of Zelda: Shadow of Illumin...
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 01:03:52 am »
Because I don't much like that name? Don't know really. Guess it would make sense though, looking at how Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Minish Cap, Four Swords and all are named. Dunno, might very well end up calling it that. But I've changed the name like three times already since it's been up, so  XD
  • Dawning Hour

Dark-Hylian

Silence
Re: [Screens/Demo] Legend of Zelda: Shadow of Il...
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 01:49:49 am »
Not sure how this works, think it's called a bump:

I added a Tech Engine Demo to the bottom of the first post...

That will be all?
  • Dawning Hour
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 07:56:12 am »
Well, the game looks reasonably nice. At least I assume the screens are from the techdemo and not the actual game. The story needs some work, also in the telling, but it has promise. Well Shadow of Illumination sounds better than Effigy of Illumination. But I expect the title to change some more before the end.

About the techdemo. That file factory site kind of scares me. How unorganized, cluttered and chaotic it is. Really one wrong click and you probably have a virus or a life long perscription to something you don't want.

The techdemo on its own really sucks. Not that I have played it, because that is the problem. I can't seem to get past the titlescreen. I have pressed every key on my keyboard and besides the escape key and the usual function keys functionality that comes standard with gamemaker, I can't get any reaction out of it. Additionally there is no information to be found on what keys do in the Game Information. Pressing F1 results in: "An edited version of ZFGC's community project Minish Cap Engine. Updates and junk are by Dark-Hylian."

What key do I need to press to get beyond the titlescreen.

Dark-Hylian

Silence
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 12:00:22 pm »
Ah! I'm sorry. I've been using that site for a while, and it scares me as well, so you're not alone. I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear, but you have to left click the Start Game text to start it. Hope that helps. Sorry for the inconvenience!
  • Dawning Hour
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 02:08:45 pm »
Okay, I played your techdemo for a bit. These are my remarks.

1) I can stand on water. If I slowly walk over the edge, it takes long before I am actually swimming. See 1.png

2) The water animation is really fast and every water tile shows the same subimage. There is nothing random about the water.

3) The beamos statue does not draw properly. And when I time the walk properly, I can let the little red dot go through me without anything happening. See 2 and 3 consecutively.

4) After dying and then continuing, I have the same number of maximum hearts and the current number is properly reset to 3, which is a good thing. But the current number of ruppees is also reset. Meaning I havelost everything collected. See 4.png

Well, those are my first remarks of my short play through.

Dark-Hylian

Silence
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2010, 04:56:22 pm »
1.) You shouldn't be able to, but if that's not the case, i'll just change the collision to a wider range, instead of being a 16x16. shouldn't be too hard to fix.

2.) The water is just a place holder for now, very unproffesional. Currently, I'm working on a random water generator (*insert cheesy grin here*), but I'll clean it up before the next demo.

3.) Odd, that's not really supposed to happen. When I tested it myself, that never happened. I replaced the beamos's sprite with a place holder because there was an issue with the mask, for some reason instantly killing link, if that's what you meant by didn't draw properly. The bolt thing though, that confuses me.

4.) Isn't that supposed to happen though? When you die in OOT or MM, perse in a dungeon or out in the field, you lose all the rupees you've collected in that area. Because this is only one area, you should lose all of the rupees. I can assure you that this won't be the case when more than one room is added.

Anyways, I'm surprised you didn't find the roll glitch. I've already fixed it in the next version, but you used to be able (and still can in the demo version you have) roll onto the water and make it about half way across.

Also, I'm glad you took the time to observe and comment. I'll work on fixing these as soon as I can.  XD
  • Dawning Hour
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 10:53:54 am »
4.) Isn't that supposed to happen though? When you die in OOT or MM, perse in a dungeon or out in the field, you lose all the rupees you've collected in that area. Because this is only one area, you should lose all of the rupees. I can assure you that this won't be the case when more than one room is added.
No it doesn't, because that would mean every ruppee you got from a chest would disappear as well and the chest would probably remain on the "opened" state.

Anyways, I'm surprised you didn't find the roll glitch. I've already fixed it in the next version, but you used to be able (and still can in the demo version you have) roll onto the water and make it about half way across.
Oh yeah I kind of forgot you could roll as well.

Dark-Hylian

Silence
Re: [Screens/Demo] Legend of Zelda: Rod of Lumin...
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 12:18:00 am »
Bump!!

*Added more game info.
**Added more info on Rod of Lumina
***Updated the Engine Progress!

Thank you! That will be all!

(PST! Still recruiting!)
  • Dawning Hour
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2010, 08:10:54 am »
No offense, but could you use headers and text mark up. At the moment your first post looks like one big cluttered mess. It makes it difficult to read.

Dark-Hylian

Silence
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2010, 05:10:55 am »
Bump!

Updated Progress and the edits section, changed the game info and added the game to the WIP Games section, and added a download.

Download here! http://www.zfgc.com/index.php#?action=games&sa=view&id=155
  • Dawning Hour

Dark-Hylian

Silence
Re: [Screens] Legend of Zelda: Rod of Lumina
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2010, 08:39:50 pm »
Bump! Added a bunch of screenies and updated progress. Minimap is just about perfect, and the inventory section of the pause menu is practically finished, just need to add the item text.
(Note, not sure about this part, but I add all the screens and stuff to the first post...)
  • Dawning Hour

Dark-Hylian

Silence
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 02:03:19 am »
Alright, conceptual areas have been sketched in, in the great notebook of progress, and we've stumbled upon a problem. The gameplay focus, the Rod of Lumina, needs to be labeled. It controls one of three elements at a time, Wind, Water and Fire. It may very well end up empowering the sword, much like in PH, but for the moment, it has a selective ability, asimilar to the magics of OOT.

The fire element would act like the lantern from Minish Cap, lighting the way, burning things in all probability, but the question is: Is it an item?

This needs to be figured out quickly. Should it be an equipable item, and take up one of two (or three maybe) item spaces, or should it only be activatable in certain places.

(I don't know how to make a poll on here >.<, so just reply if you have two cents, because I'm a greedy little !@#$%.)

Take the Ocarina of Time and the Goron,Deku and Zora masks. These can be equiped, and take up one spot each.

However, take the Minish Cap and the Four Sword. These aren't equipped, and can only be activated in certain places.
  • Dawning Hour

Miragos

ᚺᚨᛚᛁᚨ᛫ᚹᛁᛊᚨᛞᚨᚢ᛫ᛟᚱᛁᚾᛁᛋ᛫ᚷᚨᛊᛏᛋ
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 02:43:09 am »
  • 地獄に儚く惑った
So, the Rod of Lumina will also be like the Seed Satchel in the Oracle Series, won't it?
I think it's a great idea to have three slots for the item: One for the Wind, one for the Water and one for the Fire abilities.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 02:45:58 am by Miragos »
Current project: Vortex of Height
Spriter of: Oracle of Mystery
               The Mask of Sheikah
  • Miragos Project Site
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 77 queries.