Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 166   Go Down

Author Topic: [Dead] Zelda: Oracle of Life  (Read 496266 times)

Re: [WIP] Zelda: Oracle of Life
« Reply #3220 on: October 19, 2007, 01:02:53 pm »
  • Insert smartass remark here --->
As much as I would love to read 215 pages of "Way to go man" to see if my questions have been asked but then again they probably haven't.

How do you store items,player,mob info/data? I mean if this is an MMO there will be ALOT of items,players,mobs to handle
So will it be SQL interweave?, Reading Text File for certain lines? IE "Name=Beta item". Programed into the core?

Also say will there be mage that gives you buffs/teleports your for say 5 gold or so? If so how will it be handled? External Script with custom API like TCL or Gamemoneky or again hardcoded in the core?

How will the client handle all the incoming data and decipher it? IE how the client know if the quest is "Kill all these guys" or "Bring me this item" or "An Epic item (Purple Text)" or an "Set item (Green text)".

In now way I am compareing this game to world of warcraft I am just asking how the server and client will interact with data and with each other. I ask these questions becuase I am curious.

Also good job your almost finshed on of the hard parts wait till your haveing to mod the whole server from spammers and gankers. :P
« Reply #3221 on: October 20, 2007, 02:08:54 am »
As much as I would love to read 215 pages of "Way to go man" to see if my questions have been asked but then again they probably haven't.

How do you store items,player,mob info/data? I mean if this is an MMO there will be ALOT of items,players,mobs to handle
So will it be SQL interweave?, Reading Text File for certain lines? IE "Name=Beta item". Programed into the core?

Also say will there be mage that gives you buffs/teleports your for say 5 gold or so? If so how will it be handled? External Script with custom API like TCL or Gamemoneky or again hardcoded in the core?

How will the client handle all the incoming data and decipher it? IE how the client know if the quest is "Kill all these guys" or "Bring me this item" or "An Epic item (Purple Text)" or an "Set item (Green text)".

In now way I am compareing this game to world of warcraft I am just asking how the server and client will interact with data and with each other. I ask these questions becuase I am curious.

Also good job your almost finshed on of the hard parts wait till your haveing to mod the whole server from spammers and gankers. :P
1) As of this point the only thing to store are player stats. No items are in yet because there's no use yet.
2) There won't be alot. The only time in years it had more than 10 players online was the first release.
3) No SQL. All data is stored server side in a text file.
4) It'd be handled by a server side script (when the day comes).
5) There are no quests really [yet], just storyline "objectives".
6) Think of interaction as pinging. I request it, and wait for a reply. Classical client/server architecture.
7) Thanks. It's inevitable to have people spamming. Chatting is room only, so if somebody is spamming, just go somewhere else. As for hecking and other things, there's no real way to know if people do it. I'll just rely on what I have put in to catch and ban them.
the a o d c
« Reply #3222 on: October 20, 2007, 02:21:32 am »
  • 笑い男
having all maps made externally that generate data files for the warp points for the server which the server can use to check to see if a warp request is valid or not and having it all server side based and all messages encrypted for one example can be one good way to strictly limit some sort of hecking in that area :P

and then having not only account and ip ban's but mac address and registry (local side) bans can help too probably

well, it's a bit of what i do anyway (after a whole more professional remake of the server and networking >_<)

as for spammng, you could simply have the game check to see if the gap between them saying whatever is under a certain limit (ie they spam a lot fast) and goes on for a certain length of time then don't allow them to say anything else for however amount of time :P
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 02:24:03 am by hawthorneluke »

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #3223 on: October 20, 2007, 02:44:12 am »
1) having all maps made externally that generate data files for the warp points for the server which the server can use to check to see if a warp request is valid or not and having it all 2) server side based and all messages encrypted for one example can be one 3) good way to strictly limit some sort of hecking in that area :P

and then having not only account and ip ban's but 4) mac address and registry (local side) bans can help too probably

well, it's a bit of what i do anyway (after a whole more professional remake of the server and networking >_<)

5) as for spammng, you could simply have the game check to see if the gap between them saying whatever is under a certain limit (ie they spam a lot fast) and goes on for a certain length of time then don't allow them to say anything else for however amount of time :P
1) Sorry, but no. Either client or server side. Client side is open to hecking freely, encryption or not. You can still change a byte and screw it up. Server side file reading of maps and transferring would only steer from it's main processes.
2) "Server side would only steer from it's main processes."
3) No, it isn't. People, even mentally ill just memory edit and do what they want. Who gives a !@#$% about messages, WYSIWYG. MOST of the messages are encrypted, except for unimportant ones.
4) Mac addresses is pretty smart actually. Nice.
5) While I disprove of spam, sometimes it's fun. I want to have fun with people from school, not "turn off the filter" IMs.
the a o d c
« Reply #3224 on: October 20, 2007, 03:36:52 am »
  • 笑い男
1) you're thinking along the wrong lines :P
the main point is that the external mapper generates the important file that contains warp info for the server. thats all. as for screwing up external maps, well, if you md5 hash check them and redownload them if they're incorrect, then that helps :P

2) having the game non server side based would mean that then the game has to do more work also, plus a LOT more network lag and a LOT easier to heck :/

3) memory editing only works locally, so with a good server side based system, that does nothing to the other players. but i meant "good way to strictly limit some sort of hecking in that area" from doing all of the above

4) of course it is possible to change the mac address on your network card (or make it seem that way rather) but better than not doing such a thing i guess >_<

5) therefore the filter would have to be set to only catch 100% spam, not just bursts of whtever over some seconds or whatever :/

my old system was all the opposite of what i've said and i've learnt a hell of a lot and remade it and its a LOT better in all ways really. but meh :/

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #3225 on: October 20, 2007, 07:48:59 am »
I could've sworn I replied... Must've timed out. Well anyway...

Family issues and school are forcing a delay. It's not something I expected (a serious matter...) considering I wanted it done for NCFC.

Well... shouldn't be too long after.
the a o d c
« Reply #3226 on: October 20, 2007, 09:29:30 am »
  • Insert smartass remark here --->
Thanks AoDC for replying to my odd questions.
« Reply #3227 on: October 20, 2007, 11:14:57 am »
Thanks AoDC for replying to my odd questions.
Thanks for asking. Same to hawthorne. It's nice to get replies that aren't "looks good."
the a o d c

Ryan

The only Canadian?
« Reply #3228 on: October 21, 2007, 06:21:40 am »
Can't wait until you get back to updating the game.
  • Likes to Ramble
« Reply #3229 on: October 23, 2007, 07:43:05 am »
OK, it's meant to be out tomorrow but of course I had 6 days of no work. Well I've resumed it again... it should be out within a week.
the a o d c

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #3230 on: October 23, 2007, 08:07:55 am »
THAT'S IT!!! IM GOING ON STRIKE UNTIL I OoL!!!

*Starts sitting down*

BTW, I have returned
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #3231 on: October 23, 2007, 03:46:11 pm »
  • 笑い男
So this wont be at that expo type thing then? D:

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
« Reply #3232 on: October 24, 2007, 04:03:12 am »
Well it could be. If the guy at NCFC find me a possible server, I'll rush what I haven't finished.
the a o d c

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
Re: [WIP] Zelda: Oracle of Life (20 Hours Left)
« Reply #3233 on: October 24, 2007, 07:44:30 am »
20 hours to go!!! Yay!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #3234 on: October 24, 2007, 09:10:01 am »
OK, only thing left to do is Poes. CTF and clans I'll work on as soon as this is out and release an update. There's no time for them (because of my horrid life).
the a o d c

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #3235 on: October 24, 2007, 09:12:46 am »
So how long left?
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #3236 on: October 24, 2007, 09:17:02 am »
18 hours, more or less? Someone from NCFC was organising me a server (since I've none). Right now I'm testing with somebody. I'll fix any bugs... upload... send server app and sleep. When I wake up it should be done.
the a o d c

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
« Reply #3237 on: October 24, 2007, 09:28:55 am »
It'll be up at 4am for me >:(
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #3238 on: October 24, 2007, 11:13:18 am »
The server should be up for the duration of NCFC.

Speaking of which, I'm finished. Just waiting for the server to be ready.
the a o d c
Re: [WIP] Zelda: Oracle of Life (Matter of hours...
« Reply #3239 on: October 24, 2007, 12:50:54 pm »
  • 笑い男
We'll see you on the other side then
hopefully :P

この世に悪があるとすれば、それは人の心だ
  • .hack//The World
Pages: 1 ... 160 161 [162] 163 164 ... 166   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 74 queries.

anything