Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: The Hylian Phoenix  (Read 18834 times)

Migokalle

Rawr, mah kitteh is mhain!
The Legend of Zelda: The Hylian Phoenix
« on: October 03, 2010, 03:14:17 pm »
The Legend of Zelda
The Hylian Phoenix

A Bermuda Production
By Robin, Joe and Nuvo

~~~

When a new danger rises from the darkness,
it's up to one boy to thwart the evil regime and
take control over the three relics, to restore
order to a world that is falling apart.

But with an even stronger dark force just
waiting to be uncovered...
is the sacrifice worth making, in order to save an
otherwise doomed kingdom?

~~~

The Hylian Phoenix is a game that takes place around 200 or so years after the events of Ocarina of Time, in a Hyrule that is already doomed from the get-go. While The Hylian Phoenix is still very much a Zelda game, it has a very dark story and feeling, and there's no shortage of a more adult graphical style. On his travels through Hyrule, Link may for example come across a ruined caravan that has been attacked and destroyed. There may be dead bodies still lying in their pools of blood. The music, which will be 100% custom written by Nuvo, with the occasional song by Nicklegends, will have a underlying tone of impending doom, and so will dialog in the game, especially towards the later parts of the game. The story is very important to The Hylian Phoenix, and while the game would still feature great gameplay without the story, we hope that it will only enhance the experience by dragging the player in emotionally. Along with this, dungeons will be scary, compared to the usual dungeons seen in Zelda games. Some will be worse than others, but the main idea is to make the player gasp for fresh air and sunlight as he emerges from the depths of each temple. While there is a lot of dungeons to tackle, most of the story will take place on the overworld, and hopefully this will help make the dungeons feel less like a routine. There is parts where you won't be entering another dungeon for hours, even though you could in theory find a side dungeon and crawl through it, if you really feel the need for some dungeon action.

If you haven't gotten it by now, The Hylian Phoenix will be huge. And I'm not just saying that. Just Hyrule Field alone will consist of five full maps, though each will have its own little feel to it. The first one you will ever set foot in will feel much like your usual Hyrule Field, while the second will have a more mountainous look to it, and so on. However, with an already long story, there's also the large number of side quests to dive into. And I'm not just talking about the usual "go get that item, then trade it with someone else" sort of side quests, though there will be one of those too. No, the side quests in The Hylian Phoenix will vary in length, but each and every one will have its own little story, and there is a few side quests that will take hours to complete. None of these will be required to do, though it will add a considerable number of hours to your game time, so even after you've finished the game, you still have a reason to go back and play some more.

Having Joe on the team as a scripter is probably one of those things, along with the music, that makes The Hylian Phoenix what it is. You will not find any old bosses in this game. Every single one will be custom made by Joe using his scripting abilities that are nothing less than amazing, and with Nuvo's also jaw-dropping tunes playing, the bosses really feel new and "THP'ish". Along with writing the code for the bosses, Joe also writes all the other scripts in the game, including items, events and... well, anything that needs to be scripted. This really helps giving the game that "official" feel that it has.

~Screens~

~Videos~
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_csZVB-Ndwo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_csZVB-Ndwo</a>
Eppy's Let's Play of Demo 2

~Soundtrack~

The Hylian Phoenix Title Theme - Nuvo
A Quest for Hope (Hyrule Field) - Nicklegends
Search Your Soul (Wasteland Theme) - Nicklegends
Sea of Dead (Shadow Temple B1) - Nuvo
Catacombs (Cave Music) - Nuvo
Heights (Deepwoods Tower) - Nuvo
Graveyard (Kakariko Graveyard) - Nuvo
Holy Realm (The Holy Realm) - Nuvo
Bohan (Bohan's Theme) - Nuvo
Rain Scene (Dark Day) - Nuvo
Isle of Dread (Island) - Nuvo
Cucco-Catching Cacophony (Minigame Theme) - Nicklegends
Demon Bohan (Bohan Boss Battle Theme 1) - Nuvo
Creep - Nuvo
Singing Phoenix (Intro And Various) - Nuvo
Towns (Various Towns) - Nuvo
Confessions of a Castle Town (Castle Town Poor District) - Nicklegends
City of Plenty (Castle Town Market/Rich District) - Nicklegends
Fates Footsteps (Celdena Field) - Nicklegends

|Play All|

INCOMPLETE SOUNDTRACK ;)

I'm using a custom midi set, so these songs might not sound
exactly the same on your computer in-game.

~Script Videos~
Joe's titlescreen!

Articles
We've also been lucky enough to have had our game mentioned in the media twice.
Epic Battle Axe's Article
GameReactor's Article (Norwegian)
Not trying to advertise, but I thought it'd be cool to show that it's been mentioned by two rather major gaming websites :)

Additional information:
The game is being made in Zelda Classic, which I have heard doesn't have a super reputation over here, but please don't judge this game for that reason. Joe123, the programmer for the game, happens to be a ZC developer, which means that if we need to break its limits, he can, in theory, make that happen. For example, it is very likely that we're going to need more space for graphics and maps, which currently is limited in ZC. Other than this, if you've ever played a Zelda Classic quest before, you know they all mostly use Zelda 1 enemies and bosses. This is not the case with THP. All bosses, and many enemies have been custom scripted, along with items, subscreens and... pretty much all there is. It will be a full fledged Zelda game by its completion, and we are looking into ways of playing it without having to open up the Zelda Classic program first. So all in all, when it's done and released, most people won't even notice that it was made in ZC. That is, of course, if we don't jump over to a custom engine, which is something I've been wanting to do for a while. We'll see what happens.

Also, if you watch the trailer above, you'll notice teeny-tiny 16x16 Link. A few years back, when I last wrote about this game on these forums, someone also pointed that out to me, and that I should go with something bigger. I've finally gotten around to making a new Link set. It's not done yet, but here it is anyway:

Hopefully I'll be able to keep this thread up-to-date. I do have a pretty busy life, and I find it hard to keep focused with more than one forum at a time, but seeing as this is the only other forum I'm currently being active in, hopefully I'll be able to update it every now and then. Again, we'll see :P

So, thanks for reading, and I hope if you have any comments, suggestions or criticism, that you will mention it below. Especially criticism. Nothing is perfect, but at least we can do our very best to make it as good as possible, and to do that, we simply need to hear what people think. :)
  • www.questcom.com
Re: The Legend of Zelda: The Hylian Phoenix
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 05:56:04 pm »
From reading your text I fear this game is going to have a lot more space to walk through then it actually really needs.
That, the bloody part that doesn't feel Zelda-like and the fact that its made with Zelda Classic, make that it doesn't sound very appealing to me. But I'll be following the progress of this project, who knows, I could be wrong about it.

Migokalle

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 06:15:04 pm »
From reading your text I fear this game is going to have a lot more space to walk through then it actually really needs.
That, the bloody part that doesn't feel Zelda-like and the fact that its made with Zelda Classic, make that it doesn't sound very appealing to me. But I'll be following the progress of this project, who knows, I could be wrong about it.

I get where you're coming from, especially about the size part. The reason the game world is so large, is because it's set up rather differently than other games in the series. If you've played games like Oblivion, you know how it's going to work: you have a main quest, which will be the standard Zelda-story. It'll play very much like you'd expect from a Zelda game. However, I really wanted to make sure players could keep playing the game, without necessarily replaying the story. That's why we're adding so many sidequests. These aren't the typical "collect item, trade for another item..." and so on. Instead, each sidequest has its own story. For example, on your way through the game, you may encounter someone in need of your assistance. While at first you may be presented with a simple task, the sidequest can go on, with new objectives after old ones have been met, all of course with a story and a goodie for people who completes it.

There's also the fact that you will not find rupees lying around just about anywhere. In fact, you will never find them by cutting bushes, or defeating enemies, and the best way to earn rupees is to do sidequests (which often tasks you to go down certain paths where there may be treasure to be found), and jobs. Jobs can range from typical minigames, like shoot the target, to helping out at Lon Lon Ranch. Rupees will be used to purchase supplies, obviously, such as new weaponry, armor and other useful stuff. The basic idea is to make rupees a little harder to get, so you won't always have a full wallet.

Of course, there'll be plenty of ways to travel around the overworld faster than just walking, such as Epona (a prize for completing a rather long sidequest), warps and even a train. So you won't really ever feel like there's "too" much space. Of course, if you're anything like me, you'll want to explore, so for those of us that likes that sort of stuff, there's an option to do so.

As I said at the end of my last post, I really really hope people will be able to see past the fact that it's being made in Zelda Classic. ZC has gotten a buttload of improvements lately, such as the addition of scripting, which basically allows you to do pretty much whatever you would want to do. We really do think we have a great game in the making here, and it'd be a shame if its engine's old reputation would keep people from playing the game. Believe me, I know, and understand why many people don't like ZC, but I'm telling you, it's a lot better now than it was before. That doesn't mean a lot of people use it to its full potential of course, but that's what we're trying to do anyway. :)
  • www.questcom.com

Mirby

Drifter
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 07:10:46 pm »
  • To bomb or not to bomb...
Hey, it's Migo! I'm still usin' that tileset you sent me last time you were here. XD

Glad to see you back, and I hope that this goes well.

[for the record, I like Zelda Classic. I would've transferred my game, Bloodlines, over to something else, but I'm 40% done with it in ZC, and that's just too much for me to just discard and start over]

Mirby Studios | Share & Enjoy now available! (Links above!) | Games I've Beaten
Quote from: Mamoruanime
I like-like it :D
  • Mirby Studios
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 12:55:05 am »
In my opinion, I don't like the mixture of quite a few different styles.
I can point out:
 Minish Cap Tiles
 Secret/Sword of Mana(something from a Mana game)
 LttP
 LA/or Oracle Games
 and possibly Chrono Trigger

Just saying, I don't think it flows good.  The only way you seem to get away with it is through having it all in similar colors.
Some parts are too detailed while others just scream gameboy while others just look bizarre.

It looks like a good effort overall, but the styles, imo, don't mix.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 12:57:25 am by Theforeshadower »
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 01:06:02 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
Visually I think the game is a horrible amalgamation of too many conflicting styles; but at the same time I think that you think that it looks very detailed D:

One common thing with people making zelda titles is that they overlook what makes a zelda game "zelda" and not something else.

My suggestion would be to strip out the zelda elements from the design and go with an IP. Typically when people overdramatizing zelda games, they're itching to make their own game instead of borrowing from another.

Migokalle

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 11:12:11 am »
It's funny you guys should mention this. Lately, I've been heading down the same train of thought too, though I've mostly been unhappy with how I'm getting bored of the graphics. You're all bringing up some really good points.

I've actually been working on a complete tileset rewamp lately, that'll be custom, in my own style, so hopefully that will improve the visuals somewhat. I'm not the best spriteartist in the world or anything like that, but I, as many others have my own style, and it would certainly help keeping the graphics fit in with everything a little better. This is sadly a long way off, obviously, seeing as I can't whip up a custom tileset overnight.

I actually worked on something a little while ago. It started off as an Minish Cap tileset, but then I decided to try and edit/make some new stuff for it. This is pretty old, so I'm fully aware that there's a lot of problems with it, but I wanted to know if you guys think maybe something along the same lines would work better for the game?

As I said, I'm aware there are inconsistencies with this too, like the sign for example, but you get the idea. I don't want to go with pure Minish Cap, and if I did go with something like this, I most likely would not have the palettes be so saturated and cartoonish, as it simply doesn't reflect very well with the game itself. Not saying I want it to be realistic looking, but just less cartoony.

My own custom graphics are a lot similar to Minish Cap than to the current tileset I'm using though.

EDIT: I tried to see if I could whip something up. I did. :P It's not perfect at all or anything, and there's lots of things that I want to change, but... at the moment, this is what I've got:

EDIT: Another update. Hows this?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 04:29:54 am by Migokalle »
  • www.questcom.com
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 05:50:16 am »
Those custom environments look really nice. Now you need the sprites to match. That was the problem with your old graphics. You had tiles that looked as if they came from a GBA or 2D N64 game, but the sprites looked like touched up GB sprites. Too small too compact and not matching the size of the surroundings. My advice is to do the same as with the tiles and use MC Graphics as the base.

Migokalle

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 01:21:50 pm »
Awesome! But I actually have a set of custom made NPC's. They're not all done yet, but they are bigger than the old ones, and I suppose the style could easily fit into MC. They're not all 100% custom by me, but the guy who made them also made a template, which makes it a lot easier to make hundreds of them. I do want to finish Link before I start adding animations to them all and stuff though, so at the moment, there's not much to show.

^Another random screenshot. Just showing off some of the new tiles I've added since yesterday. I'm really happy about the puddles of water, as I think they add a level of "held-togetherness" to the screen... I don't know how to explain it. I just thought they looked better than the old puddles did, which was just layers of transparent water tiles put over dirt tiles.

I'm also really happy how the grass works now. The old one is very nice and all, but it made it hard to make out certain on-screen details, like the bushes. Oh, and the bushes will be changed too... not too happy about how they fit in.
  • www.questcom.com
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 01:41:54 pm »
Very nice graphics indeed.
Though the latest one might have a bit too much shadow at the bottom right corner.

Migokalle

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 02:40:54 pm »
Though the latest one might have a bit too much shadow at the bottom right corner.
Hmm... I actually put two different colored layers of shadow right there, just to try it out, but I guess it's better with just one. Thanks for pointing that out :)

EDIT: Also, got an animated gif for you guys to check out, to see how everything flows atm. Probably gonna change some of it though. I do want to add another frame of animation to the puddles of water, and swap out the "wind blowing grass" with some better tiles.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 04:45:38 pm by Migokalle »
  • www.questcom.com

Dr. Strange

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 06:37:09 pm »
Hmm... I actually put two different colored layers of shadow right there, just to try it out, but I guess it's better with just one. Thanks for pointing that out :)

EDIT: Also, got an animated gif for you guys to check out, to see how everything flows atm. Probably gonna change some of it though. I do want to add another frame of animation to the puddles of water, and swap out the "wind blowing grass" with some better tiles.

You have a knack for spriting. From what community do you come from? I believe the style you have is quite good. Perhaps you can look into hardware shadows as well? And maybe, maybe, maybe.... add.. hmm.. clouds! Your style looks very similar to that of Terrangima, or at least, it reminds of that style. Keep up the good work, Migokalle!
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2010, 09:29:25 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Visually I think the game is a horrible amalgamation of too many conflicting styles; but at the same time I think that you think that it looks very detailed D:

One common thing with people making zelda titles is that they overlook what makes a zelda game "zelda" and not something else.

My suggestion would be to strip out the zelda elements from the design and go with an IP. Typically when people overdramatizing zelda games, they're itching to make their own game instead of borrowing from another.

I don't see how this is horrible at all >_< Is it because it uses something other than lttp or mc sprites?  I personally think this is a REALLY nice change of things and I for one am looking forward to seeing more of this one.

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2010, 09:58:05 pm »

That isn't too bad, but the animations do need more frames. And the shadows aren't really doing it for me, the moving up and down is jarring in contrast to the grass which blows left to right.
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.

pxl_moon (dotyue)

Team Dekunutz
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 03:51:49 am »
  • .越//

looks like a skyward sword 2d, only less colorfull

~~Resources~~
~Minish Cap Style~

Minish Cap Beta:Firerod Icon, Majoras Mask:ChuChu, Ocarina of Time:Gossip Stone, Oracle Series:Link plays the "Herpes of Ages", Impa, Wand Maker: HUD
~GB-Zelda Style~
Ocarina of Time: Deku Caca
~Other~
Paper Mario Style Zelda&Link, Tetra Trackers HUD-Cleanups

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 06:33:46 am »

I don't see how this is horrible at all >_< Is it because it uses something other than lttp or mc sprites?  I personally think this is a REALLY nice change of things and I for one am looking forward to seeing more of this one.
It has tiles from many different games which are all different styles:
Secret of Mana
Sword of Mana
Minish Cap
LttP
Seiken Denstesu 3(dont know how to spell it and too lazy for google right now)
and probably others.

IMO I think is is wrong to throw many different styles into one game.  Pick a something you may like from each game, set it aside, then sprite an original custom tileset based on what you like.  Not just throw tiles in from a half-dozen games and expect people not to notice.
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Migokalle

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 11:41:58 am »

It has tiles from many different games which are all different styles:
Secret of Mana
Sword of Mana
Minish Cap
LttP
Seiken Denstesu 3(dont know how to spell it and too lazy for google right now)
and probably others.

IMO I think is is wrong to throw many different styles into one game.  Pick a something you may like from each game, set it aside, then sprite an original custom tileset based on what you like.  Not just throw tiles in from a half-dozen games and expect people not to notice.
Just to be clear, are you talking about the NEW tileset, or the old? Cause believe me, they're two very different things. :P
  • www.questcom.com
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 06:34:43 am »
I think Mammy and Tfs are talking about the tiles in the screens in the OP and MG-Zero might be talking about the tiles you presented in later posts.

Zhello

N.A.D.I.
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2010, 01:23:06 am »
  • L'homme avec beaucoup de noms.

looks like a skyward sword 2d, only less colorfull

I agree with you lol XD
The IT Guy
Intermediate Coder
Linux is a wonderful thing
~Linkwolf48/Gumstone1080~

The Legend of Zelda - New Beginnings

http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=34986.0
1.6 Demo -
https://www.dropbox.com/s/56km0iadaras56g/LoZNB%20Game%20Folder.rar?dl=0

Side Projects:

Dragon Diary - Cybernetic Threat
Story: http://wiki.zfgc.com/Cybernetic_Threat

Aero88
ZFGC is like the Hotel California.  You can come in but you can never leave!

devianart: http://linkwolf48.deviantart.com/

Mamoruanime

@Mamoruanime
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2010, 01:49:00 am »
  • ^Not actually me.
I think Mammy and Tfs are talking about the tiles in the screens in the OP and MG-Zero might be talking about the tiles you presented in later posts.

^This;

We were referring to the old style :P
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 74 queries.

anything