Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [demo] Timeless Haven  (Read 4370 times)

[demo] Timeless Haven
« on: February 06, 2012, 11:01:14 pm »
Hi, I'm Hombre de Mundo from Zelda Universe. I'm the project manager and lead game designer for our Zelda fangame project called Timeless Haven.

We've been working on this game on a weekly basis for little over a year now, still focusing on the engine, programming-wise. We've released two demos, the latest can be downloaded here. Development is going rather well so far and we have a dedicated team who work hard on this.

We've been getting a lot of feedback from our target audience (Zelda fans), but we throught it'd be a good idea to also get some feedback from people who know a bit more about fangames than the average ZU forum member. We're using GM8 and cose in GML. We base the game on The Minish Cap and while it gives us a lot of great resources, we also have a lot of original content.

There's a thread on ZU where you can read more about the specifics of this game like premise, characters and such. You don't need to be a member of ZU to read it and I feel like I'd just make an inferior presentation here, so a link will suffice :]

Any feedback would be greatly appriciated and if you'd be interested in working on this there are application details in the thread I linked to. As a final note, I'm also posting the trailer we put on youtube:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i32IM5PifLs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i32IM5PifLs</a>
Re: [demo] Timeless Haven
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 01:54:34 am »
While there seems to be alot of flashiness with the graphics, I have seen quite a bit of graphical problems.  Link's shadow makes Link look like he is floating when you walk.  it also doesn't work when there is something directly under Link in some circumstances. 

There are layoring issues.  Some stuff is appearing on top of other stuff that it shouldn't be appearing on top of.

There are tiling errors as far as the sheet might be off or something as I can see lines in different areas.

You should really fix the Link sprite by adding two pixels in height.  For him sounding and looking like adult Link, he really needs to be taller.  He looks like a skinny dwarf.  Easiest way to fix is to separate the head from the body by two pixels then fill in the void.

The resolution is interesting.  Everything has a nasty stretch look to it.  Like, you are stretching it in a weird way weird it looks pixelated a bit.  I don't think it's my screen.  I am using a widescreen 32" lcd...

Well, now that all is that out of the way, seems interesting.  I get the feeling you guys are trying for graphical presentation over game play.  Not that that is bad.  It certainly could turn out to look very good.   
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 02:56:02 am by Theforeshadower »
  • Super Fan Gamers!

Starforsaken101

Wake the Beast
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 02:53:22 am »
  • www.mouffers.com
So far I'm quite impressed and agree with pretty much everything Theforeshadower had to say. From the trailer, I noticed there's something a little goofy Link's motion. For some reason, it looks like Link is floating when he runs. I don't really know what causes this but maybe I'm crazy.
  • Starforsaken101's DeviantART
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 01:15:54 pm »
I am impressed at it, graphically it looks good. However I have to agree with the previous statements and have the following to add.

1) Occasionally, I had some serious lag issues and it seemed like it ran 2-5 fps.
2) Your collision detection could be reconsidered as I often thought I was inside an object.
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 04:22:55 pm »
There are layoring issues.  Some stuff is appearing on top of other stuff that it shouldn't be appearing on top of.
Could you give some specific examples?

There are tiling errors as far as the sheet might be off or something as I can see lines in different areas.

The resolution is interesting.  Everything has a nasty stretch look to it.  Like, you are stretching it in a weird way weird it looks pixelated a bit.  I don't think it's my screen.  I am using a widescreen 32" lcd...
Both these are a result of the same code that simply magnifies everything to twice the size, except yeah it gets messy with certain graphic cards. We're currently fixing that issue by simply resizing everything and getting rid of that code.

You should really fix the Link sprite by adding two pixels in height.  For him sounding and looking like adult Link, he really needs to be taller.  He looks like a skinny dwarf.  Easiest way to fix is to separate the head from the body by two pixels then fill in the void.
That is an interesting idea, I'll be sure to run it by our artists :]

Well, now that all is that out of the way, seems interesting.  I get the feeling you guys are trying for graphical presentation over game play.  Not that that is bad.  It certainly could turn out to look very good.
That is absolutely not the case. While we do want the game to look good and unique in its own way (while still obviously being very similar to TMC), that's far from our main approach. On the gameplay side we've most notably made a combat system inspired by FSA. Your main attack is a 3-slash combo that we put in for two reasons. For one, when you execute the third strike you will be left vulnerable for a little bit, so button mashing is discouraged. Also, we found it a tad annoying to hit and enemy and then having to walk forward a few steps to hit it again. With the third strike you will automatically dash forward and pursue the enemy you just knocked back.

We do have more such things in the works but obviously, this is an alpha demo moreso meant to show what we have so far and what you can expect from both overworld/fighting enemies and dungeons to interacting with villagers.

Quote from: Niek
1) Occasionally, I had some serious lag issues and it seemed like it ran 2-5 fps.
Mm, we've had several people state that, I assumed it happened in the village or Hyrule Field? What we'll probably end up doing is reduce room size, but we have to test it first, filling rooms of different sizes with different amount of objects and see where things start to get heavy, depending on the hardware of course.

2) Your collision detection could be reconsidered as I often thought I was inside an object.
Again, an example would help.

Thanks for the response, I appriciate it :]
- And yes shadows is a well-known issue that will be fixed.
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 08:07:24 pm »
Okay here are some examples:

1 ) Link appears to bes tanding inside the wall
2 ) Link seems to be floating over the anvil
3 ) Link seems to be floating or jumping
4 ) Link is standing on top of the stump
5 ) What's up with the chickens. The right one is continuously changing facing direction.
6 ) Chicken is stuck to my head and stuck to the guard.
7 ) Weird dialogue coming totally out of nowhere. When did Link start to !@#$% sbout Zelda's study habits. There is more dialogue like that.
8 ) Inconsistent. Rocks have shadows and plants do not. Why do rocks have shadows period?
9 ) Grass over shadow and why is there grass at this position.

Then I like to add that on occassion the music completely stopped. And what's up with the item get/chest open sound? It kind of sounds as you are disappointed by what you get.

I hope this helps.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 08:09:22 pm by Niek »
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 08:27:30 pm »
Damn, Niek.  Looks like you are having even more grid lines appearing on your pc than mine.  I see alot of them though.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2012, 08:29:14 pm »
Actually the screens show the places where I have little gridlines.
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 07:02:59 pm »
Okay here are some examples:

I hope this helps.

Very much so, thanks for taking the time :]

As far as music and sfx is concerned, yes there are some glitches to be fixed still. And the music (and item get sound etc) is also WIP, pretty much hastily thrown together for this demo so we could say "hey we have original music". We're working on some far more impressive stuff than what you hear in this demo and hopefully we can release a sample track sometime in the near future.
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 11:43:06 am »
  • Master Of Disaster
You've got a pretty game there. I'll try it out when I can :P

.TakaM was here
  • Lumeuni
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 74 queries.