Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Link in Super Smash Brothers: Unbalanced  (Read 2737 times)

Link in Super Smash Brothers: Unbalanced
« on: August 14, 2012, 05:38:56 am »
  • It's in your ear!
When it comes to Link in SSB I feel hes getting pretty short changed on his attacks and there effectiveness, most notably in the SSB Brawl. These are some things I suggest change in order to make Link a tougher opponent in the next SSB installmenty, comment as you see fit:

Improve the hookshot: Links grab move,the hookshot, was decent in SSB but became pretty bad in Melee and Brawl (barely covering any distance), if the shot went farther and the animation was restored to its SSB incarnation, this would be good again.

Change the damage of the spin slash: Links Up+B Spin Slash was a surefire KO move in SSB and Melee, but it was nerfed into a multi hit attack in Brawl. In the next SSB this move has to be restored to its Melee-based power and be a single hard hit.

Normal Boomerang: In SSB Brawl Link had the wind boomerang which was fairly awkward while his "double" Toon Link had the normal boomerang. Links boomerang needs to be a regular ranged attack and has to be thrown further in the next SSB.

Slightly faster: Link hasn't always been the quickest character in SSB (like Sonic or Fox), but his movement speed should be slightly improved back up to his speed in Melee.

No more Link "doubles": There was Young Link in Melee and Toon Link in Brawl. Seems in the last two SSB games the Legend of Zelda roster always has another Link incarnation that is better then the original. As my last focus of this topic, I feel the SSB creators have to ditch the extra Link character and focus more on improving the original. Doing this would improve Link's tier position from last to 5th-15th (since characters like Diddy Kong and Meta Knight are completely overpowered).

« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 05:43:41 am by MaJoRa »
Re: Link in Super Smash Brothers: Unbalanced
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 05:44:29 am »
I agree 100% with every detail on this entire post. Well done pointing out these factors sir  :)

Speaking of "doubles", they should consider looking for new LOZ characters at least. They had Link "doubles" and Zelda's "double" was Sheik, but Ganondorf never had a double. The closest I can think of a Ganondorf "double" is his ultimate form; Ganon (which could possibly just be his Final Smash manuever). Just an idea.
Scott R. Genovese
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 05:49:42 am »
I agree with everything here except for the Multiple Links in each game. I feel that before Link was too powerful, and easily trumped every characater. Probably why they nerfed all of his features. I think having normal Link, and Toon Link allows people to work hard to get the powerful character, making it more fair.
  • Elliott Parkinson
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 05:54:35 am »
I can understand what you mean about Link and has "trumping" stature, but I would disagree that he was the ultimate in that case. To each their own I suppose, but there are other characters that do either stand the same chance or better chance than Link. For example, Fox. This is just example, of course. But either way, at least some improvements can be made to the current SSB Link regardless of how supposedly powerful and agile he was.
Scott R. Genovese
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 01:13:49 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
I agree 100% with every detail on this entire post. Well done pointing out these factors sir  :)

Speaking of "doubles", they should consider looking for new LOZ characters at least. They had Link "doubles" and Zelda's "double" was Sheik, but Ganondorf never had a double. The closest I can think of a Ganondorf "double" is his ultimate form; Ganon (which could possibly just be his Final Smash manuever). Just an idea.

Ganondorf may not have had a double, but he sure as hell was Captain Falcon's double!

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 01:30:39 pm »
  • ...---^^^---...
Wow...  I actually disagree with this.  I had no problems competing whilst playing as Link, and Toon Link was my favorite character.  I totally dominate with Toon Link, and would be quite sad if he isn't in this next SSB installment.  You just need to learn how to use them and they are both very competitive players!

edit:  IMO brawl is the only installment in which the massive/slow characters were able to actually compete with the faster/nimble characters, but then again I have played brawl much more than I have any of the others.  I tried going back to Melee this last week and the controls were making me loose my hair...  So bad compared to brawl.  I know there are a lot of people who won't agree with that though.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 01:35:14 pm by Aero88 »
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 01:54:31 pm »
You just need to learn how to use them and they are both very competitive players!

This is very true, I've taken down experienced Fox players before with Young Link is Melee.  I made it nearly to the last round in a tournament once as well with him.  DON'T !@#$% WITH MY YOUNG LINK!!!  HE WILL WRECK YOU.

Twilight Alchemist

State Alchemist
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 03:29:24 pm »
The stuff I agree with will be in bold
The I don't will be in italics

When it comes to Link in SSB I feel hes getting pretty short changed on his attacks and there effectiveness, most notably in the SSB Brawl. These are some things I suggest change in order to make Link a tougher opponent in the next SSB installmenty, comment as you see fit:

Improve the hookshot: Links grab move,the hookshot, was decent in SSB but became pretty bad in Melee and Brawl (barely covering any distance), if the shot went farther and the animation was restored to its SSB incarnation, this would be good again.

Change the damage of the spin slash: Links Up+B Spin Slash was a surefire KO move in SSB and Melee, but it was nerfed into a multi hit attack in Brawl. In the next SSB this move has to be restored to its Melee-based power and be a single hard hit.

Normal Boomerang: In SSB Brawl Link had the wind boomerang which was fairly awkward while his "double" Toon Link had the normal boomerang. Links boomerang needs to be a regular ranged attack and has to be thrown further in the next SSB.

Slightly faster: Link hasn't always been the quickest character in SSB (like Sonic or Fox), but his movement speed should be slightly improved back up to his speed in Melee.

No more Link "doubles": There was Young Link in Melee and Toon Link in Brawl. Seems in the last two SSB games the Legend of Zelda roster always has another Link incarnation that is better then the original. As my last focus of this topic, I feel the SSB creators have to ditch the extra Link character and focus more on improving the original. Doing this would improve Link's tier position from last to 5th-15th (since characters like Diddy Kong and Meta Knight are completely overpowered).

Personally, I love Young Link and Toon Link to DEATH, I could beat anyone in my family (except my bro who plays as Ganondorf in melee and R.O.B in brawl... And kicks my backside off screen.) If Young Link and Toon Link are not in the next smash bros. then only one character can replace them in my book: The Demon Lord Ghirahim.   >:D

But yes, Link could be improved upon.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 03:41:36 pm by Twilight Alchemist »
(>'.')> <('.')> <('.'<) <(  )>
"Oh! The Rock of Death, my mortal enemy! I'll deal with you later rock." Later "Oh! Rock of Death! We meet again. Well this time things will go differently, cause I'm not five years old any more, AND THERE IS NO BANANA!" - ???
My PZE account: http://zeldaengine.net/user-112.html
If you're going to be Mr. FMA over here,
Shadow of Termina spriter
http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39913.0
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 03:37:52 pm »
then only one character can replace them in my book: The Demon Lord Ghirahim.

Nope, Fierce Deity Link ;)

I really have to disagree about the hookshot though.  Link, Young Link and Samus are the only ones in the game with a ranged grab attack.  This, regardless of the range, gives them a huuuge advantage over other characters, especially when shield grabbing.

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 05:25:45 pm »
MG-Zero: Good point about Ganondorf being Captain Falcon's "double"!  XD  Didn't come to realization about that until now. Maybe another change is in progress.....
Scott R. Genovese
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 10:03:33 pm »
There's quite a bit of cloning in Melee, specifically:

Link->Young Link
C. Falcon->Ganondorf
Mario->Doc Mario
Fox->Falco
Pikachu-Pichu
Marth->Roy

Each with some slight changes to damage/range, attack effects, speed and weight

Crim

Super Special Awesome
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 02:13:44 am »
  • I'm Pro!
 I actually think link is a pretty good character. i don't use him myself, but i know a good bit who do, and they are amazing. (i use lucas, luigi, gamewatch btw)

id like to see how the new one turns out though. what characters and all.
  • Crim is Pro!
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 03:07:02 am »
  • It's in your ear!
Interesting point you make MG Zero, they are the only ones who can grab from a range. Still, my feelings about the hookshot come not only from grabbing other players but using the hookshot for recovery, the point at which the hookshot grabs the ledge is close enough that the third jump (spin slash) already can get the job done. I also liked your mention of fierce deity link but I don't see him as a playable character, I see Fierce Deity Link as a possible final smash option for Young Link (if he were to be considered a playable character again) after all it was the ultimate weapon against Majora on LoZ: Majora's mask.
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 04:38:28 am »
MG-Zero: Those "double" were obvious and do make sense because they correlate with one another in terms of their character as well as their relation with their specific franchise. The Captain Falcon and Ganondorf relationship still boggles my mind.  :D
Scott R. Genovese

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 06:11:41 am »
  • I can think of many things for anything.
You just need to learn how to use them and they are both very competitive players!

This is very true, I've taken down experienced Fox players before with Young Link is Melee.  I made it nearly to the last round in a tournament once as well with him.  DON'T !@#$% WITH MY YOUNG LINK!!!  HE WILL WRECK YOU.

Young Link was the BEST! I'm remaking him in Brawl but he's gonna fight more like I imagine Majora's Mask Link would. A mix of Link and Toon Link's attacks and some other stuff switched around. Can't do multihitting bombs though... hmm...
Need someone to grammar check your game? Message me.

Team Project:
Mythos: Shadow of Liimina- http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39897.0
SoL Sprite Thread: http://zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=39913.0

Crim

Super Special Awesome
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 08:32:50 am »
  • I'm Pro!
although i really dislike it, maybe you guys wont.

there is a brawl mod called project M. don't remember what was done to link, but you can always check it.
  • Crim is Pro!
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 03:12:00 pm »
Still, my feelings about the hookshot come not only from grabbing other players but using the hookshot for recovery, the point at which the hookshot grabs the ledge is close enough that the third jump (spin slash) already can get the job don

There's actually a bug that allows you to shoot the hookshot immediately following an air dodge.  VERY useful when you're too low for the spin attack to get you up high enough.  Opponents that are edge guarding also don't expect it to come flying out at them.

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 04:39:43 pm »
Project M is actually just Brawl being made into Melee. If you like FUN that can be played casually or competitively I prefer Brawl Minus. It's awesome and allows just more over the top things while making every character more balanced.

Team Project:

Crim

Super Special Awesome
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 03:30:33 am »
  • I'm Pro!
Project M is actually just Brawl being made into Melee.
that is exactly why i don't like it. if i want melee, ill pull out my gamecube and play it. to me, brawl turned out perfect. (imo of course)
  • Crim is Pro!

Kienamaru

The Idea Man
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 04:53:52 am »
I prefer Minus over everything. Link finally has the power and recovery he needs. And technically no one sucks. If you don't like the extreme though you might want BalancedBrawl. It doesn't even require a hacked wii and does a good job keeping everyone fun and fair.

Team Project:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 75 queries.