Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Poll

Which type of music do you prefer, in video games?

8-bit (ie. NES / Synthesized)
- 4 (33.3%)
16-bit (ie. SNES / Synth / Slightly more realistic)
- 2 (16.7%)
Late 90's - Mid 2000 (ie. N64, GC, PS2 / Still MIDI / Convincingly "real" sounding)
- 2 (16.7%)
Current Gen (Orchestrated, Live recordings, etc)
- 4 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music Preference  (Read 4573 times)

Music Preference
« on: April 10, 2011, 02:51:10 am »
Just interested in how people view video game music these days. I assume a lot of people will favor 8/16-bit music for its nostalgia and often catchy melodies. There's also the chance that people prefer "modern" video game music because it's impressive, high quality, recorded by a live orchestra, etc. There's any number of reasons for preferring one over the other and I suppose it depends on the game it accompanies, but in general, I think it would be interesting to hear what people have to say.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 03:05:04 am by Q.K. »
Re: Music Preference
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 03:20:09 am »
8-bit. It's sharp sounds cut through your head like knives and stick in there forever. lol I still have all of the pokemon blue/red and silver/gold songs permanently stuck in my brain.
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 03:38:14 am »
I'd go with 16 bit/current gen. I love the work of composers like Jeremy Soule and what he's done for the elder scrolls franchise soundwise, but I also like the old 16 bit stuff from games like zelda, pokemon and castlevania. Really depends on the game for me, but I can appreciate both types of music when they fit the rest of the content. Imagine if oblivion's soundtrack was 16 bit :P?
Quote from: Jason
Your community is a bunch of stuck up turds.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 03:47:38 am »
Yeah, I guess a lot of it depends on the type of game. Looked at from another angle, it seems hard to imagine say, a Studio Ghibli / Miyazaki film without orchestral music composed by someone like Joe Hisaishi... yet interestingly enough, some of their earlier stuff like Nausicaa used a lot of really retro sounding synthesizer tracks alongside orchestrated music.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsqSrvCw4z0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsqSrvCw4z0</a>

Reminds me of an RPG battle theme on the SNES haha.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 03:50:44 am by Q.K. »
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 04:54:47 am »
Where is the "all of the above" alternative? :)
I'm a sucker for nostalgia (N64 and GBC/GBA sounds mostly, started playing games at that time) but as a musical person I have to say that the newest fully orchestrated soundtracks appeal to me immensly as well.
- Viewing at the moment: Project Runway [TV-series].
- Reading at the moment: Kuragehime [manga], Uncanny X-men issues 37 - 66 [comics].
- Listening to at the moment:
- Playing at the moment: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles [GCN], FFCC: Ring of Fates [NDS].
- Let's Play in-the-making at the moment: Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles [GCN]
- Studying at the moment: University course "French, Preparatory Course" for a re-examination on subcourse "Grammar and Translation" in August, University course "Basic Course in the Humanities" for a re-examination on subcourse "The Concept of Culture" in August.
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 11:42:15 am »
Where is the "all of the above" alternative? :)
I didn't pick any category for that reason, there's simply too many good tunes from all the eras.
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 09:48:26 am »
  • AKA "Micah DS"
I usually prefer 8-bit and 16-bit, but I often like a lot of the more realistic stuff as well. I especially love realistic sounding guitar leads and epic orchestration. I also love me some of the newish pulse-pounding bassified wicked sick gritty electro rock game music at times (hybrid with orchestration ftw). So I really enjoy most all of it, but I do tend to lean toward the old school sound. ^_^
  • My Music
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 04:11:21 am »
http://www.box.net/shared/6gihtcdm4q

Hmmm.. tried messing around with some 8-bit sounds for a change.. I mean I guess it's catchy but it still seems too harsh to me :p
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 07:16:06 am »
I agree it's a bit harsh, but that was one of the characteristics of 8-bit music :p. I just updated an 8-bit song I made if you want to check it out:
http://www.zfgc.com/forum/index.php?topic=36252.new#new
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 59 queries.

anything