Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Tree  (Read 1871 times)

My Tree
« on: July 14, 2010, 01:10:05 am »
  • Pichuscute
So, I have attached a tree I'm trying to sprite for a game I'm making in GM for the next GM Competition. Because I hate the GM boards with a passion, I decided to ask the nice people here for some help.

My problem is I want something pretty realistic (excluding the palette) and I don't know how to achieve it. I have limited spriting experience and am just not sure what I should try next. I started making leaves from some tutorial I found googling stuff, but they weren't much. The shading is too bold as well.

Can you guys give me some pointers?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 01:31:28 am by pichuscute »

King Tetiro

Leader of Phoenix Heart
Re: My Tree
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 09:12:35 am »
In terms of your shading, the light source should be on top of the tree. From my point of view the light source looks like its diagonal. Great effort though
  • Phoenix Heart
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 10:44:09 am »
I agree, also you have not created a shadow for below the tree. I also think that there needs to be a shadow below the canopy on the trunk, near the top of it to show how the canopy blocks out the light.
  • Elliott Parkinson
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 11:07:47 pm »
  • Pichuscute
Alright, I did some shading on the tree trunk (minimal because it looked off at first, wasn't sure how to shape the shading) and made lots of changes to the borders on the shading in the tree so that it looks more leaf-like.
It looks better...

Anyone have any ideas on how to make the leaves look more like leaves and less like a green circle? It looks alright now, but I'm curious on how others do it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 11:11:05 pm by pichuscute »
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 11:40:36 pm »
Describing what you need to do to make it look good is difficult. However I would try to make them look more like "squares" which radiate from a section of continuous colour. Though that might just be my style. To be honest I can't see it working at all with what you have, so I don't really know what advice to give you.
  • Elliott Parkinson
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 12:29:10 am »
  • Pichuscute
Meh, Oh, well. Do you happen to have an example of what you mean, so I can look at it for next time?
Sorry to ask, but I'm just curious.
Thanks for the help, by the way.
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 08:39:04 am »
Here is the best example I could find online:

http://media.photobucket.com/image/tree%20sprite/Ricoman2000/Floatingtreecharsetcopy.png

Notice how the leaves are sort of slightly differently shaped squares, which all radiate from the top of the tree downwards and sidewards. If you make the leaves too big, add a line in the centre of the leaf which follows its shape. Notice how leaves are drawn here:

There is a line which follows its shape in the centre down the middle. I don't have an example of this working well in a sprite however.

A good way to see how to realistically and easily draw leaves might be to look at the MC Zelda tree, but I couldn't find an image of this on Google.

Hopefully that was of some help to you.

• Elliott Parkinson
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 12:30:35 am »
  • Pichuscute
I think I get what your saying. I'll be trying some of that at some point, but I think I'm just gonna keep the tree I have for my current project, might as well, since I spent so long on it (and I only have 2 months left to finish the game).

Well. thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 54 queries.