Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Prototyping/Screens] Pokémon TCG Remake [Update: 2012.02.07]  (Read 5529 times)

[Prototyping/Screens] Pokémon TCG Remake [Update...
« on: February 06, 2012, 07:24:50 am »
  • Minalien
Well, I've still got over a week left until my computer and other equipment arrives with the shipping truck, so I'm sitting on my mother's computer with none of my tools. Decided to pick up GM:HTML5, so that I'd have something to work on outside of Uni projects (my course is using DarkBASIC, and I refuse to lower myself to using that outside of that course). Started working on recreating the Pokémon Trading Card game (Gameboy Color) with Fire Red/Leaf Green graphics style. I'll post my progress and such here, since this has completely captivated my development efforts as it's gone from using GM to prototype, to me deciding to completely develop this game. XD

As it stands, I'm only planning on doing a direct recreation of the original game, so I won't be including any of the newer cards. If I end up porting this system to C++/OpenGL later (which was my original intention), I may end up including more cards, using Squirrel scripting for card effects. I honestly don't know how far I'll go with this project at the moment, but it'll probably occupy all of my time here in Ohio.

The most up-to-date progress will be posted via my Tumblr:
http://mina-kun.tumblr.com/

You can play an HTML5 version of the prototype here:
http://files.minalien.com/PTCG/

And the Windows executable can be downloaded here:
http://files.minalien.com/PTCG/PTCG.rar

Working on the design and setup for duels. Here's a mockup:

Controls:
Arrow keys: Move
Z: Read book shelves
X: Run (Hold)

What I'm Looking For In Current Prototype
  • Thoughts on Animation Speed
  • Thoughts on Movement Speed
  • Thoughts on Collision System
  • Bugs with Text system

Known Problems
Both
  • (Fixed) Hyphen character looks odd with lower-case characters. (Lowered character placement.)
  • (Fixed) Tile layer issues in room - computer, table, and boards at top of room.
  • (Fixed) Text system is somewhat broken.

Screenshots
Please bear in mind that this project is still in the prototyping phase.

Feb 6, 2012
Dr. Mason's Lab:

DJ just made me an updated deck machine, too. :D

Thanks to Jordan for recreating the card table. <3

Recreated text from all of the book shelves. The HTML5 version has a lot of issues with the conversation system, however. I'm probably going to spend some time reworking it-right now it's a modified version of what I took from a Davve's (GMC;; www.stuffbydavid.com) sample.

Deck-builder room.

Feb 5, 2012
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 04:42:08 am by Minalien »
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
Re: [Prototyping/Screens] Pokémon TCG Remake
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 09:29:02 am »
What is the room speed?  Seems like it is at 30.  I do not know much about GMHTML5 but can it do 60?  I would be interested in a build structured around a more "silky" 60 speed.  The overall animation and speed seems great just that it has the look to it that GM games do when the room speed is 30.  I know with my older projects/ideas in GM8 seem to flow better as far as the graphics and movement are concerned when I use a speed of 60 for the room.  Again, I don't know if the HTML5 version allows that.

Collisions seems alright except for the one table in the top left corner as shown in the screenshot.
There also seems to be a layer issue with the clipboards or whatever they are to the right of that as shown in the other screenshot.

Did you code dominate keys?  I noticed that the character prefers horizontal over vertical movement if you press both at the same time.  He also seems to always go down or right if you press the corresponding opposite direction at the same time.  Just wondering if you did that.  Works well.

Only played the HTML5 version.  Keep it up.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
Re: [Prototyping/Screens] Pokémon TCG Remake
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 03:17:28 pm »
  • Minalien
Yeah, I'd changed one of the tile layers' depth and forgotten about more than a few tiles that were on it. Fixed.
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
Re: [Prototyping/Screens] Pokémon TCG Remake [Up...
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 08:25:49 pm »
  • Minalien
Rewrote the text system, now works in both HTML5 and Desktop builds. Added running (hold X). If anybody runs into any issues with either of these, please let me know.

• Development Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 09:49:44 pm »
Does the HTML5 work fine on your end?  Since your update, the game lags horribly.  I Even restarted my pc and it still lagged.  Feels like it is running at a forced 10 fps.  No stuttering;just everything going very slowly.

Core 2 Quad q9550 2.84ghz
Ati HD 4850 512 MB dedicated 3gb shared
8 GB DDR 2 (I believe, desktop is almost 4 years old now...)

Figured I post that.  I don't believe it to be hardware.
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 10:42:15 pm »
  • Minalien
Runs fine for me, though I've only tested it in Chrome. Are you using F10 to make it take up the full window? Because I have had it start lagging horribly when I do that.

Edit:
Tested in IE9, no issues with lag (though there were tile seams).
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 10:46:50 pm by Minalien »

• Development Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 07:31:28 am »
Had no lag issues with Firefox. Had lag and tile seams when F10 when hit. Pretty sharp though.

Although minor, I wanted to point out the black lines bordering the top vertical wall. I'm not familiar with Pokemon graphics, but it seems out of place.

Windows 7 (32bit)
Intel Core 2 Duo T5600 1.83Ghz
GeForce Go 7400
128MB Video RAM
1.5GB RAM
  • Pyxosoft
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 07:40:07 am »
I wonder if the lag was because I had a video stream open o.0....
Runs fine now >_>
  • Super Fan Gamers!
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 08:01:45 am »
  • Minalien
Although minor, I wanted to point out the black lines bordering the top vertical wall. I'm not familiar with Pokemon graphics, but it seems out of place.
I'd actually completely forgotten to fix that. I noticed it during my first run after I created the tileset, but never fixed it.

Fixed now, thanks.

• Development Blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 55 queries.