Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Learning OpenGL Through Fan Game Development [GLZelda]  (Read 1655 times)

Learning OpenGL Through Fan Game Development [GL...
« on: March 20, 2012, 03:30:29 pm »
  • Minalien
Welcome!
Welcome to Learning OpenGL through Fan Game Development! In this tutorial series, I intend to take you through the process of programming a complete computer game, from start to finish. Throughout this tutorial series, we will be developing a fan game, a popular project type for budding game developers due to their familiarity with the source game, an abundance of resources, instant product recognition (I say that in the term of the game itself – it is illegal in most countries to make any sort of profit from fan game development due to copyright law), and the level of enthusiasm developers possess for the game series (it takes a lot of love to deliver a video game from conceptualization to completion).

In this series, we are going to be developing a Legend of Zelda fan game. Nintendo’s Legend of Zelda video game series has been a major presence in the games industry, and is the series that originally got me interested in game development. More importantly, the series possesses traits that make it an excellent, complex, and rewarding target for fan game development – including complex dungeon puzzles, minor character customization (various items and equipment to solve numerous tasks, and a great chance for player creativity), intriguing story, and amazing boss fights.

Starting with establishing a project directory structure, obtaining and setting up our programming environment on Windows, Ubuntu Linux, and Mac OS X then laying the framework for our game, we will cover important cross-platform development techniques using C++, the OpenGL graphics library (please excuse the redundancy), and the Simple DirectMedia Layer (SDL) library that will provide us with a wonderful cross-platform development opportunity without introducing hundreds of megabytes’ worth of runtime dependencies and platform-specific code.

GitHub Repository

Tutorial Series Index
Series Discussion
Chapter 1: Getting Started
Chapter 2: Setting up your IDE
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 05:21:31 am by 宇宙人ミン »
There's such a double standard about religion in the modern world. Catholics can gather, wear white robes, and say "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti" and be considered normal.

But if my friends and I gather, wear black robes, and say  "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", we're considered cultists.
  • Development Blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.217 seconds with 38 queries.