Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Favorite DVD Sets  (Read 2193 times)

Favorite DVD Sets
« on: June 14, 2006, 06:25:17 pm »
  • Who's your favorite possum?
This list shouldn't be too hard.  I'm not asking for a specific amount or anything, just for your favorite DVD sets. :)

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Extended Edition
This was a nice 4-disc set, made an excellent addition to the original 2-disc version.  Excellent video transfer (hindered slightly by a lack of detail), and includes an amazing audio track with DTS, not 5, but 6.1! :o  Luckily, I have the set up to take full advantage of that (along with a nice 60 inch HD TV).  The documentaries rival that hour long behind the scenes documentary that we saw with Star Wars - Episode I, and there are even two discs dedicated to them!  The only things missing here, were the trailers/tv spots, movie posters, the script(s), and additional deleted scenes.  Other than that, pure excellentness.  It even has two eastereggs, the only noteable of which is the 4 minute Two Towers reel as shown at the end of the theatrical version toward the end of it's theatrical run (meaning that reel that all got us back to the dollar theatres for a second go at the movie).

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - Extended Edition
Very similar to the above, but I prefer the DTS transfer found in this set.  Unfortunately I was not as impressed with the special features, but still a good set.

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - Extended Edition
Yeah, another LOTR extended DVD-- we know!

The Legend of Zelda: The Complete Animated Series
Okay, perhaps the transfer, nor the audio class A stuff, but it was as good as you get for a TV show that was made and abandoned in the late 80s/early 90s.  The special features were fun, with a trivia game, printable artwork, etc.  And even featured some of the Super Mario Super Show! 

* 2awesome4apossum does the Mario.

*Swing your arms from side to side!  Come on!  It's time!  Let's go!  Do the Mario!  Doo dee dah!*

Kingdom of Heaven: Director's Cut
Just barely got it, and I'm loving every second of it.  It's excellent in video and audio (after all it's a Fox DVD!), with a DTS transfer.  Two discs of the movie, with audio commentary, and two discs of "making of" material, including ADDITIONAL, that's right, 30 mins. of ADDITIONAL deleted scenes, besides the extra 50something minutes of what we saw in the director's cut.  There's also a copy of the script with notes (I love that), trailers, tv spots, posters, and every behind the scenes-type documentary that you could imagine!  Best DVD set we've seen yet.

Braveheart
Okay, so it's only on 1 disc... and I have several complaints about it, but that one disc gives us an excellent video quality (how does paramount handle their compression techniques?!), and a very good Dolby Digital 5.1 transfer.  NO DTS! >:(  Personally, I'd like to see an extended version of this movie (because judging by the original script, and old trailers-- you know that they filmed a whole lot more stuff), or at least a set with deleted scenes (and split up the movie on two discs for optimum quality), with a DTS track.  However, on this disc besides a great video and audio quality (and the movie's three hours long, remember) we also get a behind the scenes documentary, the teaser and final trailer, and audio commentary.  It's an excellent disc, and the second best selling DVD of all time-- no wonder why that is :)

I have more, but I'll post them later ;)
Re: Favorite DVD Sets
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 06:38:58 pm »
I like all the movies mentioned above, but I haven't seen any of the extended editions. But I just have to add.

The star wars collection... I can't really say "trilogy" anymore, becasue now there is 6 movies. But the other day, I watched all 6 of them in order, form episode 1-6 and it amazed me how he put them all together. Definately one of the best dvd sets you can get.
We may be human. But we're still animals.

dylan623

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 06:50:20 pm »
I like all the movies mentioned above, but I haven't seen any of the extended editions. But I just have to add.

The star wars collection... I can't really say "trilogy" anymore, becasue now there is 6 movies. But the other day, I watched all 6 of them in order, form episode 1-6 and it amazed me how he put them all together. Definately one of the best dvd sets you can get.
Same here, except I haven't seen all of them.
Slightly off-topic: Someone I know seen  Kingdom of Heaven (I haven't) and coincidentally he's an atheist.
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 06:57:21 pm »
Slightly off-topic: Someone I know seen  Kingdom of Heaven (I haven't) and coincidentally he's an atheist.
And that matters why? I can see your point, but it's a movie.
  • Google Profile

dylan623

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 07:08:54 pm »
I meant he saw Kingdom of HEAVEN and he's atheist. I thought it was sort of funny XD.
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 07:14:11 pm »
I meant he saw Kingdom of HEAVEN and he's atheist. I thought it was sort of funny XD.
I can see your point, but it's a movie.
  • Google Profile

dylan623

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 07:24:02 pm »
I can see your point, but it's a movie.
Whatever.
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 07:27:43 pm »
Mystery Science Theater Volume 8, I'd tell you why but I have a review handy: http://www.friderwaves.com/index.php?page=mst3k8

Also, a set I grabbed for a few bucks from the Wal-Mart bargain bin. This set has three awesome Vincent Price movies: The Bat, House on Haunted Hill, and The Last Man on Earth.
The Legend of Zelda: Hall of the Dead
Complete and free Zelda fan game
http://dayjo.org/uncannyvisions/hotd.html

Dayjo

shut the fuck up donny.
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 08:20:34 pm »
  • hungry..
Lord of the Rings Extended Edition Trilogy box set.
Star Wars DVD box set.
Back to the Future DVD box set.
Takeshi Kitano box set.
  • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 10:58:49 pm »
Have you seen the movie? It wouldn't really matter if the person is atheist, becasue it's not really like that... It's not totally about god and heaven. It's a story about the war between christians and muslims over Jeruselem (Also known as "the kingdom of heaven". Yeah it has lots of religeos aspects but an atheist person would watch it and probably not think twice about the plot being something they don't believe in, because it isn't preaching about christianity, or muslems etc.

It's not just a movie for those certain religeons, the title may make it sound extremly religeos, but anybody could watch and enjoy it.
We may be human. But we're still animals.
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 11:02:12 pm »
  • Who's your favorite possum?
Have you seen the movie? It wouldn't really matter if the person is atheist, becasue it's not really like that... It's not totally about god and heaven. It's a story about the war between christians and muslims over Jeruselem (Also known as "the kingdom of heaven". Yeah it has lots of religeos aspects but an atheist person would watch it and probably not think twice about the plot being something they don't believe in, because it isn't preaching about christianity, or muslems etc.
I'd say that the story if about characters and ethics.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2006, 01:52:20 am by 2awesome4apossum »

Pedlya

Pederp
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 11:03:39 pm »
  • Vote for Harvey!~
I like all of the first posters ones and www.gangentertainment.org I have almost all of theyre movies on DVD now n___n
So what! I wanna get out! 'Cos there's so much out there! So many different people, living different lives! Incredibly good guys, bad guys... Folks completely different from us! It's one huge melting pot! See, it's not about success, dying in the streets, who's better, who's not! I just want to be a part of it! I realized that even if I've no connections, no talent, even if I'm one big loser, I want to use my hands and feet to think and move, to shape my own life! We can just die here or we can try, see what we've got!
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 11:09:57 pm »
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
Oh yea well you're a DVD set! er...i mean..Star wars box set =)

i love big weenies and i cannot lie
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2006, 02:34:26 am »
  • that old name
[just the best selections from what I've got]

Lord of The Rings Extended Editions
Terminator 2: Extreme Edition(yay for the full movie being in high def on the second disk in WMP 9 Format!)
Titanic
Star Wars Prequel Trilogy
Star Wars Original Trilogy Box Set(Great Special Features.. but enough for 3 movies? Maybe; but I expect allot =P)
Sin City Recut/Extended Edition
Back To The Future Trilogy
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 02:36:11 am by Sterlin254 »
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2006, 12:55:28 pm »
Oh yeah, Back to the Future is my altime favorite series.
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2006, 12:54:47 am »
Yeah Back to the Future rocks. I own the box set. They tie together so well.
The Legend of Zelda: Hall of the Dead
Complete and free Zelda fan game
http://dayjo.org/uncannyvisions/hotd.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 69 queries.