Hello Guest, please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
Login with username, password and session length.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Review for Superman Returns-- Third Post Down  (Read 1074 times)

Review for Superman Returns-- Third Post Down
« on: June 27, 2006, 07:34:43 pm »
  • Who's your favorite possum?
Okay, so last night I saw Superman Returns in our new digital theatres (progressive scan <3), and it was in DTS.  Those of you who have never seen a movie in a digital theatre, it's one of those experiences that you just have to see to believe-- and I loved it.

Anyhow, there were two excellent trailers tagged on the beginning of the film: Spider-man 3, and Lady in the Water (it's a new one).  Be sure to not miss the trailers at the beginning if not just for those two.

Anyhow, my review is only halfway typed up at this point, but I'm going over to an acquantinces house, because we are starting to write our new film, and so this is more important to me than finishing my review (because I'm always at work-- this is a rare thing), so I'll continue to write it after I get back.  I may post it later today, or you may not see it until tomorrow, but I can guarantee that you'll see it by tomorrow. :)

Just to give you an idea of how I felt about it, I gave it 4 stars :o  (and I was the one who rolled my eyes saying Superman should have died with the 70s after watching the trailers).

Anyway, I apologize for the inconvinience (and I manage to keep the review fairly spoiler-free, so unless you're writing your own review, it shouldn't ruin the experience of Superman Returns for you), and I hope to have my review up soon.

Until then, see you later!

EDIT: I meant 3 stars, not four.  Sorry for the confusion. ;)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 03:04:45 am by 2awesome4apossum »

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
Re: Delay - Review for Superman Returns
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 10:02:01 pm »
  • b e p i s
I'm going to the local preview tonight unless plans change, so I'll be able to offer my opinions on the film as well tomorrow :)
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single
Re: Delay - Review for Superman Returns
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2006, 03:03:59 am »
My Review:

Superman Returns - 3 stars

The man of steel is back in all his spandex glory.  The biggest question for the newest superhero movie is the question of if it could be presented in a way that will stay faithful to the films from the 70s, while not looking outrageously corny and too absurd for our modern time.

Let???s face it: Superman is probably the most boring of all major superheros.  He???s invincible, he can fly, he can see through things, he can shoot lasers from his eyes, and he even has ???super??? hearing (although many of the viewers may not after viewing the loud film).  However, the film makes all of these traits secondary ideas, and the main feature is the emotion and the ideas presented within.

Bryan Singer, the director of the first two X-Men films, was in charge of this ambitious and large scale project.  It was another worry out there, because of the simple B-movie quality of the first two X-Men films.  Superman is much larger scale than either of those movies (and has a much bigger budget), and Singer seems to have acquired a visual style that is very complex.  Instead of using one style in particular with the cinematography, multiple techniques and styles are explored, most of which works well.  He doesn???t get carried away with a tripod the same way the Wachowski Brothers do, nor get carried away with a dolly like Ron Howard will, it requires a genuine balance to achieve excellence in cinematography, and it???s found in this film.

John Ottman was in charge of the soundtrack for this two and a half hour film (which may be deemed as far too long by some), yet Singer made it very clear that John Williams??? Superman theme was to be both used in it???s original form and incorporated into the score.  What we get is a nice balance that John Williams would not have been able to pull off, of both emotion, excitement and nostalgia (which is undeniably a focus of the film).

The opening credits was a shock, similar to the one experienced with the 2005 version of King Kong.  It emulates the original film (looking very 70s while doing so), and even includes the voice of Superman???s father from the original movie (as the beloved actor is now dead), leaving a kind of imbalance compared to the rest of the film, which stays fairly modern.

The story takes place after a disappearance of Superman for five years, to explore the remnants of his home world: Krypton, which astronomer???s had discovered.  He comes back to find that Louis has a child and a boyfriend, that have a relationship that emulates that of the modern family (although it is unclear as to whether they are married, the film leads us to believe that they are not).  Lex Luthor has been released from prison, and inherits a fortune from a dying lady that he swindles into loving him.

Luthor???s plot?  To take crystals from the place where Superman found out about his past, and create land, wiping out the lives of billions of people to do so for wealth and power.  Luthor cites his father in saying ???the one thing that there will never be more of is land???, but with the alien technology he discovers, it is now possible to create more.

Louis Lane has also won the Pulitzer prize for an article entitled ???Why the World Doesn???t Need Superman???; something that offends our hero, and leads to conflict in their relationship, with her efforts to ???move on???.

A central focus in this film is not found within Superman, which should bother a few fans, because quite simply: this movie is not about Superman alone, it???s about human emotion, and other issues that this film explores.  To emphasize this point, let us take this quote from when Superman and Louis are up in the clouds discussing issues present with his disappearance for five years:

???What do you hear????

???Nothing.???

???I hear everything.  You wrote that the world doesn???t need a savior, but every day I hear people crying for one.???

Quite frankly, this is a good thing, because the actor chosen for Superman, is not by any means, a good actor.  He has very little dialogue, most of his screen time has the focus of special effects, and the subplots with Louis Lane and Lex Luthor become much more fun to watch.

Kevin Spacey was an excellent choice to play the villain, and he seems to have a lot of fun with the role, presenting the best twisted bad guy we???ve seen in a Superman movie as of yet.

One element of the movie, that will separate this from other super hero films, is the huge amount of subplots with Superman going around and just helping people, to be a good guy.  He uses his power for good, and his only beef shouldn???t be with the main villain, as it???s usually portrayed in super hero films, but it should be with all villains.

In interest of not spoiling the rest of the film, this will conclude the review, and just keep in mind that this is one of the best super hero films yet, and it works very well.

Dantztron 3030

Mammy's Favorite Storyteller!
Re: Review for Superman Returns-- Third Post Dow...
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2006, 06:43:39 am »
  • b e p i s
So Possum pretty much summed it up, I'd personally give it a 4 out of 5 though. The local premiere tonight was at 10 PM, and I got home about an hour ago. Quite a long movie. Anyway, I'll just sum it up with a few quick thoughts:

- I loved the dialogue. A lot of clever double meanings are interspersed throughout the script, and the romantic scenes, save for one particularly horrific line, are very well done.
- AMAZING effects. The movie makes heavy use of CGI but it feels natural and well-implemented.
- Fantastic atmosphere and set design.
- I personally loved Brandon Routh as Superman, particularly in Clark Kent mode. He's clumsy and lovable as Clark and bold and brave as Superman without coming across as overly corny. I didn't even giggle at the spandex.
- Kevin Spacey was amazing. Period.
- It shares a similar quality with the great Spider-Man movies in that it puts human characteristics in a person who is normally superhuman.

Anyway, 4 out of 5 stars for me, and highly recommended, especially if you liked Spider-Man as much as I did :)
well i dont have that system and it is very hard to care about everything when you are single

tippz

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2006, 02:14:27 pm »
all of possum's reviews are out of four stars, not five...
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2006, 04:17:43 pm »
all of possum's reviews are out of four stars, not five...
Yes sir :)

I base my reviews off the traditional system (the system that your Newspaper should use), which is out of 4 stars.  There can be half stars, but only up to 4.  Here's the system.

Turkey = Turkey
1 star = Poor
2 stars = Fair
3 stars = Good
4 stars = Excellent

And we ought to create a spoiler thread, where we can talk about story elements that ruined any plans for a sequel that they had :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Contact Us | Legal | Advertise Here
2013 © ZFGC, All Rights Reserved

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 49 queries.